Original Eriba artwork

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:55 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

A little while ago I posted a couple of examples of sketches of our two Eribas, past and present. Although I'm an illustrator by profession it's in a very different field, so I thought I'd have a bash at drawing our Troll just for a change and to see if I could make a half-decent job of capturing something of the character of these vans.

I'm chuffed (and grateful) to say that several people here were very kind in their comments about both the Troll and the Puck L I did later, and some suggested that I might offer to take up commissions to draw other people's Eribas.

So, having had a conflab with admin, I am.

Offering to draw other people's Eribas, that is.

What you'd get from me would be an original - the original - drawing of your caravan, done in the style of the two I've done previously and which I've taken the liberty of posting again here down at the bottom of all these words.

It doesn't have to be just one van. If you'd like a montage of past vans - or present ones if you've got a swarm of them - I'm happy to do that.

The original would be a bit smaller than A3 (but bigger than A4), in either landscape or portrait format depending on the composition of the drawing and that of the photograph I'm working from. A3 is about 16½" x 11½".

This is where you come in, because I'd need you to e-mail me your bestest and most favourite Eriba photo to work from.

There are no particular requirements regarding the photo other than that it needs to be of the kind of resolution which picks up all the detail you'd like to see in my drawing when you blow the photo of choice up full screen on your own computer. Nice contrasty photos with the light - sunlight, if possible - coming from an interesting direction are tops, and better from my point of view than those taken in the flat light of a dull day. You know the kind of thing.

I'll print the photo off at this end, enlarge it to a workable size, get out a bit of paper, some nice sharp pencils and a scalpel to keep them that way, make a cup of tea and crack on.

I don't trace from the photos. The drawings are all freehand. I'll scan it and e-mail you the digital file once it's done to my satisfaction to make sure it meets with yours before sending you the original, packed flat rather than rolled up, by Royal Mail Special Delivery.

I put the how much to charge algorithm into my perpetual combobulator, and by using both it and a process of elimination, research, head-scratching and adding how long it takes me to do one (on the assumption that it has to be worth my time), came up with the following.

One original drawing of your pride and joy, to the size mentioned above, would be in the region of £70 to £85, dependent mostly on the content of the photo.

In other words, if it's just the van in an empty field it'd be less than if it included your car, a pup tent, a huge awning, a barbecue spread, forty of your closest chums sitting on very complicated chairs and the Temple of Rameses III in the background.

If you'd like a montage of two or more caravans, it'd be more expensive, but two certainly wouldn't be anywhere near twice the price of one, if you see what I mean.

I'll happily send you the original in a bevel-cut window mount for a couple of quid extra, and Special D would be at cost.

I won't attempt to include any human beans in the drawing, and I'm a little disinclined to include pets for one simple reason; capturing the character of an inanimate metal box is infinitely easier than attempting to capture the character of the family dog. Other than that I'll draw what you send me or ask me to draw, though I might suggest small modifications if I thought they'd improve the final result. They'd only be suggestions, and all you'd need do is say no.

In terms of other possible uses of your drawing later on - and I'm thinking of Christmas cards, birthday cards or a limited edition run of prints - I'd store a high resolution Photoshop file of the original here purely for safekeeping unless you asked me not to.

I've also had a conversation with Roger about the possibility of using some of these drawings as a basis for a forum calendar at some point in the future, though it does make the rather large assumption that I actually get any customers and that I'm not just stuck with the two I've done for January and February.

That's for future consideration really, and needless to say dependent entirely on whether the owners of the drawings would give their permission.

Anyway, if you're interested in having your van drawn or would like to discuss it (or any variation on it) further, please send me a private message in the forum.

Cheers

Pete

Our Troll at Penlan.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)230.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Copy of Frantroll rz.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)John M 320 rz2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Eriba Millau F mono rz.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa france, Poptop320, Crystal, , Julie Grafo, , , , and like this post!
Last edited Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:24 pm | Scroll up

RE: Original Eriba artwork

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

I think your pictures are brilliant, very envious of your talent and would be interested in the future. Right now I need to buy an awning, use my new van and take some pictures!

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.

Last edited Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:39 pm
by Sarah J (deleted)

Pete, your drawings are really good. I would certainly be interested in one of our little Puck in the future, but we've only had our Dolly Dinkster 6 weeks so need to get her out on the open road and create a few more suitable photo opportunities first!!
Brilliant idea though, and a calendar would be perfect Christmas pressie....*big hint to other half!*

Sarah

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Ah so! Competition eh? He is very very good though.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:09 am

Pete as a matter of interest, when I click on the 1st image above I only get the top half as your smashing drawing, the bottom half is plain grey, any ideas?

Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:44 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #5
Pete as a matter of interest, when I click on the 1st image above I only get the top half as your smashing drawing, the bottom half is plain grey, any ideas?
Told you - that's what happens when you spend too long looking at the angle of male units.

To be serious for a minute I don't know the answer. I did take a bit of a gamble in uploading a pretty sizeable file knowing that not everyone has a fast connection*, but there's no point having an image the size of a Penny Black which looks as if it was taken through a piece of Izal.

Having said that, it is a heck of a lot smaller than the forum upload size limit, and I can't think why it should stop loading halfway through.

*This applies to Mr Cauldron in particular, whose internet connection at home is delivered one byte at a time by the postman

and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:29 pm
by victoriana (deleted)

Hi.

I just loaded them up and was fine for me did take a few seconds but greeat drawings

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:19 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

For me,on cable internet - not Fibre Optic - first image took less than 5 seconds and the 2nd less than 4 seconds :) So seems to be no general problem with image size !

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:23 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

It did that to me the first time I looked at it. I refreshed the page and it was fine.

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 am

Daft question but it was obvious on the Mac but how do I refresh on Windows?

Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:58 am
by hob (deleted)

Right click on the page and select reload or refresh depending on which browser you use

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:01 am

Tried that Nev but don't get those options, using Firefox.

Whoops its one of the images at top will try ta!

Pepe's Walk

Last edited Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:02 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:03 am
by hob (deleted)

In firefox right click on blank part of page and reload is the 3rd option down.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:04 am

Yes see it now ta.

Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:07 am
by hob (deleted)

This little round arrow symbol should do the same thing

reload.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum moderator
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105614 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5