Tow car air conditioning.

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:10 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

We had a bit of a fright yesterday because we noticed we were dropping a noticeable amount of fluid (water?) from under the car as we were reversing the van onto an emplacement.
However, it stopped when we switched the engine off and there is no apparent loss of engine coolant.
Simon Blueyonder suggested that it might be coming from the air conditioning unit as he has experienced it himself once or twice, in hot climates.
We went for a spin in the car today with the air con. off and no sign of anything. Likewise, on the return journey with the air con. on, nothing.
Can anyone explain the system in simple terms and what was the possible reason for us experiencing this?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:07 pm | Scroll up

RE: Tow car air conditioning.

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:40 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

If the fluid is clear, odourless, tasteless and doesn't feel slightly sticky or greasy between your fingertips, it'll be condensate from the air conditioner and quite normal.

It happens more when the air is humid, for obvious reasons.

It's very noticeable in the States where it's hotter and stickier and cars have much better air conditioners than the weedy things we get on European cars. There'll be a puddle of water under almost every parked car there in the middle of summer.

Randa france, , and like this post!
Last edited Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:26 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:41 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Thanks for the info. Pete. That confirms what Simon thought.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:07 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:43 pm
by armorican (deleted)

I always had the same 'problem'. Asked around and was told it was 'normal' - all cars with air-con do it.

However, here is a story to warm your hearts. We were recently in Cahors. Daily temp never fell below 36C (in the shade - like an oven in the open). It was too much so we drove home. Did it in a 1er -all 805km, and me 72 with 50 years of insulin-dependent diabetes behind me, what a hero! However, we realised en route that it was hotter inside the car than outside. Something not right. In the Loire temp still at 35C and maybe 45 or 50 inside (windows open). Back home, got a test done on the air-con and they said it was a connector to the compressor that was faulty. However, they had repaired it. And so, air-con worked fine for 2 days before it failed again. Back to them. Another check. This time they said that the compressor had failed and had to be replaced. Price? 780 euros. Went to Audi garage who confirmed the diagnosis and quoted me Euros1900 for the replacement. Well, that was not on, so back to the original. They gave me a devis (estimate), quoting the part number/manufacturer which number I checked on the internet. Wrong part. Told them they had made a mistake, much disbelief, but, eventually they owned up and re-ordered the part number specified by myself. They wanted 479 euros for the part, but my research on the internet revealed that the compressor was available for 370 euros. Went back and told them. Incredulity! Eventually they had to agree that not only had they originally got the part number wrong, but they were overcharging me at the same time. Now awaiting the outcome. New compressor next week - I hope, at the right price. Customer service in France is never great, so - be aware! Best wishes to all. D

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:44 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Quite normal for the Air-Con to drip water when in use - nothing to worry about :)

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:01 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Yes agreed had it on our C-Max in UK. The AC pongs a lot when switched on after a time of not using it, but it goes.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:03 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Always a good idea to use a/c throughout the year,even in winter ,clears the condensation/misting,but also keeps the seals in the system from shrinking from 'drying out' and helps prevent the build up of bacteria causing an unpleasant 'smell' ! !.

, Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:27 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

We've always run our air con year round in the Multipla to avoid that wet dog smell. Must admit to not running it at the mo in the new Honda as we run it in Eco mode and that doesn't work with the air con on. May have to reconsider this.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1