pop top problem

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 pm
by victoriana (deleted)

Ok going to see an older puck. Vendors have sent lots of pictures. And seem to be honest. There seems to be a problem with one of the catches on pop top. Will try to add photo. If this shows up is it a fixable problem

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_20150718_161832_2.jpg 

Scroll up

RE: pop top problem

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:12 pm
by Agger (deleted)

It's fixable, dpendiing on your ability, for me it's a no no as I am next to useless at diy. It would need closer inspection as the handles/ latches are I believe fitted through the roof, so you'd need to check there for damage also. The seperation of the "board" could be attacked in a few different ways depending on how fussy you are

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:16 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I was going to edit the above but, the handles / latches are NOT fitted through the roof, at least not on our old Troll which I have just checked photo's of, so sorry for misleading you

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! Has an empty space where once a very polished Eriba stood😎
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:46 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

If you look at the picture of my old 1993 Puck you can see the four bolts that go through the roof which is about the same spacing as the internal roof catches. If it was me I would leave that van alone and wait until the right one turns up.

g2p382-Puck-from-above.html

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:56 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Hi, It might be worth phoning someone like AL and asking their opinion, cost etc. If it can be repaired and you can get the van at a reduced price and its what you want, go for it... Chris

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:11 am
by jasond4289 (deleted)

Those bolts are too close to the edge of the pop and are surely for the x hinges?

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:40 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: jasond4289 wrote in post #6
Those bolts are too close to the edge of the pop and are surely for the x hinges?

Thats what confused me on my initial response! Then I looked at some photo's of our old Troll, I am inclined to side with you in that they are indeed for the x hinge pop top support

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:06 am
by victoriana (deleted)

ok so it may not have x hinges as well then . So will start my search again

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:20 am
by Agger (deleted)

If you have photo's from the outside with the roof up you should be able to see the x hinges, but I'd still be tempted to look elsewhere

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:28 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: victoriana wrote in post #8
ok so it may not have x hinges as well then . So will start my search again
The scissor hinges (x hinges) are on the outside of the canvas. They are spring-loaded and are what guide the roof as it raises and lowers, locating it in place when it's up.

The latches are screwed to the underside of the roof rather than bolted through it, and the screws on that one have pulled out of the plywood liner. You could patch it with an Isopon resin wood repair kit or similar and reattach the latch in the same place, though there's an increased likelihood of it pulling out again. Longer screws are probably not an option. The last thing you'd want is the point of a screw penetrating the fibreglass above. You could argue that if the latch was bolted right through in the first place rather than just screwed on it would be more secure, but making holes through the roof within the area enclosed by the canvas isn't a very good idea because of possible water ingress later on.

I reckon you need to establish why the catch pulled out. It looks as if there might be mildew on the canvas which might suggest damp. Screws will rip out of damp timber much more easily.

If the wood is sound and the damage was caused by someone being a bit overenthusiastic with the latch, either patch it as above and glue the ripped lining back in place or look to see if it's possible to move the entire catch (both parts) along a bit so that the pull-down latch is screwed into virgin timber.

That might not be ideal - you may not have the room to do it; you'll end up with asymmetrical catches and you'll have holes to repair.

On the strength of one photograph it looks repairable, and it's a good bargaining tool provided the discount offered is rather more than what it would cost to fix if you have to farm it out to someone else.

Aaron Calder and like this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:41 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Yes, I agree with Pepe.
Here's a recent thread regarding scissors hinges ( X hinges) Pop Up Roof Issue on My Bali and I've added a couple of photos of ours to show that these hinges are bolted through the roof structure.

Untitled-2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Dependent on the age of the Puck (round top or rectangular top) the scissors hinges are found either on the sides (round top) or front and back (rectangular top)
g2p496-Sunset-on-Puck.html#viewport Round Top
g2p176-Eriba-Puck.html#viewport Rectangular Top

Therefore as Pepe says, the roof latches are fixed to the inner roof structure so should be fixable.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Pepé Le Pew and Aaron Calder like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:40 pm
by victoriana (deleted)

What worries me is that they have not shown a photo with pop top up. Am and now worried about bigger problems

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:10 pm
by Agger (deleted)

If your worried, walk away, there will be others

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Quote: A guest wrote in post #12
What worries me is that they have not shown a photo with pop top up. Am and now worried about bigger problems

Ask them to send one to you victoriana.
What age is the Puck and who are you buying it from?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:26 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

I agree with what Roger said.

Ask for as many photographs as you think you need to make a decision without going overboard and asking for hundreds.

Don't dismiss it as a potential buy on the basis of things you haven't seen. You might end up missing a proper bargain, especially if the damage is superficial.

Sometimes bits just drop off or break.

Last edited Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:25 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2