Window seals

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:14 am
by Pearl the Puck (deleted)

Hello Folks!

Have recently bought a 1971 Puck, and the rear (opening) window could do with a new seal. We live in Norfolk, and it's not something I want to do myself! Any recommendations on where to get it done?

Also, does anyone have a Puck cover for sale? I'd like to eventually put it in our garage, but that's not happening until we change the door, which could be years from now! Am I being very silly keeping it outside?

Scroll up

RE: Window seals

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:44 am
by hob (deleted)

Couple of places in this section might be able to help you

Caravan servicing and repairs, including mobile technicians.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:51 am
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Hi and
Regards Chris and Keith

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:20 pm
by Pearl the Puck (deleted)

Thanks! And hello!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:35 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

Our PuckL has always lived outside, normally with a cover on between trips but they are caravans designed to be outside in all weathers.
Julie and Neil

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:30 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Hi Pearl, the rear opening Windows are a doddle to replace, have a read of these how to guides....

Replacing window rubbers step by step guides

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:47 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

many here keep them outside and cover up when not in use and the winter comes along.

Regarding the window seal you could try asking Dom Fox in Eriba-shop for a pointer to who could do the work as he is in your neck of the woods near North Waltham.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:39 pm
by mrs r (deleted)

Our window seals (fixed side) are very perished (old grey type) & were absorbing water & leaking profusely, so we've ordered new ones from Jandi, but had no time to fit them before trips away this year. In the meantime I painted them with neat Gloss Acrylic Glaze Medium straight from the tube (see pic, also the brush I used), the perished seals sucked it in as I painted but it did the job & we stayed dry through some serious downpours!!! So can recommend this as a temporary solution to leaky window seals. (if you do this, you may want to check with a sloshing of water before waiting for rain!)

Acrylic-Glaze-Medium.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Our seals are in an appalling state as you can see in the pic, but this is after painting them with the Acrylic Glaze Medium, & despite the gap in the join (shrinkage through age), we really did stay dry.

seals.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Because of the gap-in-join we ordered seals that are continuously circular, made to fit the windows & therefore, no join. Jandi recommended fitting the seals to the window first before fitting them to the caravan which made sense to us, so we're going to follow this advice (will let you know how it goes).

We’re off Pucking again this weekend, so no time to replace seals yet, looking forward to getting it done before the winter sets in tho.
Thanks to this forum & Jandi for good replacement hot tips. The 'Replacing window rubbers step by step guides’ are extremely useful & Jandi rock!!!

YM-Heather.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

, and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:07 am
by Deeps (deleted)

I wonder if giving the window seals an annual smear with that stuff car manufacturers recommend doing the door seals with - perhaps even rubbing in a bit of Vaseline or even spraying with the lubricant that one should use to extend the rubber seal on the toilet cassette - would help in preserving caravan window rubbers.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM (soon to be replaced by Mazda CX-5 D-150 Exclusive line, AWD AT), Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:34 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #9
I wonder if giving the window seals an annual smear with that stuff car manufacturers recommend doing the door seals with - perhaps even rubbing in a bit of Vaseline or even spraying with the lubricant that one should use to extend the rubber seal on the toilet cassette - would help in preserving caravan window rubbers.
Not Vaseline. Apart from making a mess every time you touched it inadvertently and transferred it elsewhere, Vaseline can damage rubber.

A bit of silicone lubricant sprayed onto a rag and wiped over the seals is good.

rT-7

, , Ribski, and like this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:47 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:11 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #10
Quote: Deeps wrote in post #9
Not Vaseline. Apart from making a mess every time you touched it inadvertently and transferred it elsewhere, Vaseline can damage rubber.

A bit of silicone lubricant sprayed onto a rag and wiped over the seals is good.

The other reason NOT to use Vaseline is it is "water miscable" (not sure I have spelt that correctly!?) But basically it disolves in water, making a hell of a mess when it does!!

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:52 am
by buzzlightyears2 (deleted)

Thanks, Deeps they are still good but like to keep up on maintenance

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2