RE: Jockey wheel up or down when pitched on-site?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:47 am
by MCINND (deleted)

That was a test pitch very early on with my Hymer Sporting.
I reverted back to a normal wheel down pitch there afterwards.

David

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:39 pm
by hob (deleted)

I can't think of any reason to have the jockey wheel raised and don't recall ever seeing one that way?
Down seems to be the obvious way to go for me as i travel with a front heavy 55 Kg (Noseweight) at the front then procede to add to that by adding another table, a TV laptop, speakers etc to the front then lower a conciderable bulk onto the remaining seat (me) making the front even heavier

Seriously though the only thing that comes to mind would be to take the weight off if the jockey had an inflatable tyre but even then I don't really see the need.

Handbrake is always on on a site as I can't be bothered to chock the wheels

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 19, 2018 1:46 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Following a discussion in a recent thread regarding water ingress in a new Eriba, I thought it might be a good idea to resurrect this old thread for the benefit of any new members who are unsure as to how to pitch safely and so that anyone who wishes to might add further comments.

My concern in the first instance was that the jockey wheel is intended to help distribute the front end weight of the caravan while stationary so by raising it when pitched this places unnecessary strain on the corner steadies which (the clue is in the name) are intended only to stabilise the caravan and not to bear any substantial weight. They are certainly not intended to be used to level the van. This is done transversely with levelling ramps and longitudinally by jockey wheel height adjustment.

At the time I did not consider that structural damage might be caused to the caravan frame and chassis.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 19, 2018 8:59 pm
by Sashella (deleted)

Just to take the pressure off our jockey wheel tyre. We are in a WWB at the moment, still waiting to collect our 530.😊

Waiting for 530 that will be pushing our Volvo

Last edited Sat May 19, 2018 9:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 20, 2018 6:53 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I'd much rather have pressure going through the jockey wheel which is built for it, rather than through the corner steadies.

'I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon
but to settle down and write you a line.'

Awaiting collection of a Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 20, 2018 8:26 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I can honestly say I've never seen a jockey wheel up. I shall now be interested to look and see what people are doing. Seems crazy to me to expect those little feet to support the weight of a couple of adults on the nose. But then , we lower the feet when we stop for lunch while the van is still attached to the car.

Last edited Sun May 20, 2018 8:32 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 20, 2018 8:34 am
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

It's useful that we have those two big round things with tyres on to take some of the weight. Good planning that.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:33 pm
by Lusk (deleted)

Rear stabilisers down, front ones left up and jockey wheel down - saves having to wind the front legs down!!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:09 pm
by gattim (deleted)

You should wind the front legs down, they aren’t fitted as optional extras

highmiler likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2