poll Survey: What do you do with your jockey wheel when pitching?
votes for inquiry "What do you do with your jockey wheel when pitching?" 82 votes given.
graph_table Tabular reporting
graph_pic Visual reporting
Answers Percentage of votes Votes

1. I leave my jockey wheel down 95,1% 78

2. I raise my jockey wheel when I've set the corner steadies. 4,9% 4
You do not have the rights needed to participate in this vote
82 members have voted.

Jockey wheel up or down when pitched on-site?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:59 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I ask this because on this trip, for the first time, I have noticed caravans at Loches, St Palais-sur-Mer and here at Mirabel et Blacons pitched with their jockey wheels raised off the ground. All of the caravans so far have been Dutch-owned.

Jockey.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Jockey01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I pitch, I first get level using a two-way spirit level using wheel ramps for transverse and the jockey wheel for longitudinal levelling. Once satisfied that we are pitched correctly, I lower the corner steadies to make firm contact with the ground and that’s it. The jockey wheel stays down.

I’d have thought that the weight of the caravan should be taken on the three wheels and that the corner steadies were simply there to provide stability when moving about inside.

Perhaps I’m wrong? Does anyone have any opinions and what do you do?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

, cruickie, and like this post!
Last edited Sat May 19, 2018 1:47 pm | Scroll up

RE: Jockey wheel up or down when pitched on-site?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:20 pm
by kritichris (deleted)

I just think the more things touching the ground the more stable it is.

1988 Eriba Puck
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:46 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #1

Perhaps I’m wrong? Does anyone have any opinions and what do you do?

I see to recall having asked the same question some way back now and yes, I too have noticed this in considerable numbers. Quite why this is I really have no idea but I'm in the camp that has the mind of the more things down the better.

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT), Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:14 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

In the Caravan club's getting started brochure, attached, levelling is described as you state, with the wheel down and steadies firmly in contact with the ground.

The glossary of terms states that the jockey wheel is a device to support the forward end when detached from the vehicle and steadies are to stabilise once set up.

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:25 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Jockey wheel down for me, it's no hassle leaving it down and it adds to the distribution of the caravans weight. Hymer manual specifically states the the corner steadies are only for stabilising and they are used in conjunction with the road wheels and the jockey wheel.
My Familia has the steadies attached to the subframe as I would assume all Eribas do, however some WWB vans will have them mounted directly to the floor which would be a lot of pressure on a non structural surface if you raised the jockey wheel......

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:58 pm
by Rabiedmushroom (deleted)

The jockey wheel has a relatively small contact area on the ground, and I would imagine it may sink a little if it bears a portion of the overall weight. Especially on soft or wet grass. Why don't you see more jockey wheels settled on a pad to spread the load, like you get on the levelling legs?

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:31 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Like others, I always leave the jockey wheel down, on the ground. But first I lift it up. Why? I generally use the motor mover to reverse the caravan onto the pitch. Castor action makes the wheel swivel so that it faces forwards. If I were to leave it like that, and when it came to hitching up again I lined up the towball with the hitch, moving the caravan forwards again would cause it to swing out of line. So on parking I raise the wheel up, swing it round through 180 degrees, and then drop it and lock it again. More trouble than it's worth? Probably - but then, that's me. 😳

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:13 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

It'd be interesting to hear from the one person who ticked the jockey up option in the poll thing as to why they do it that way.

So come on, spill the beans.

If it helps, all of the 15,892 people who ticked jockey down have promised not to point and snigger

rT-7
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:46 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

[widget=9924] This member clearly does, from the other Hymer/Eriba models gallery.

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.

Last edited Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:21 am

Quote: jasond4289 wrote in post #9
This member clearly does, from the other Hymer/Eriba models gallery.
I reckon we ought to have a whip round and buy him a spirit level for Christmas.

I hope he isn't having soup for supper.

rT-7

Poptop320, , and like this post!
Last edited Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:23 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:44 am
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Hi Pepe...yes its us evidently...I didn't know, but hubby thought that's what you had to do!!. No one told us at the meet in April we were doing it wrong as we were newbies. Keith has got another question then...................do you leave the handbrake on or off??? We leave ours off...is that correct??
Chris

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:04 am
by Frantone (deleted)

I seem to remember being told that leaving the handbrake on could result in seized brakes. After a journey on which the brakes may have become heated it sounds like a possibility. So it's handbrake off for me.
TonyP

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

and Ribski like this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:16 am

Handbrake off for me too, though not really because of the likelihood of the shoes seizing in the drums. I do it because I don't like having mechanical components under tension for days on end when they don't need to be.

The only time I'd think twice about it is if the site is steep, but if it was so steep that I had to rely on the handbrake to stop us ending up in a heap at the bottom of the field I'd pitch somewhere else anyway.

rT-7
, and Ribski like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:49 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

When at home and not in use I leave the handbrake off and I also fully chock the road wheels and the Jockey wheel.
When onsite and living in the van I will leave the handbrake on and wheels chocked, every now and then I will release the handbrake and put it back on again, I personally don't won't to risk the van slightly rolling and bending the legs with the handbrake off.
Winter usage will have the greatest danger of the brakes seizing due to the frost and slight rusting in the drums, and again it will be advisable to release and reapply the handbrake when living in the Eriba......

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Kam likes this post!
Last edited Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:51 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:30 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

For me it's handbrake ON when on a campsite. To be honest I never considered the possibility of brake seizure due to heat although I also think that events of this nature happening must be an extremely rare. I do, however, chock both wheels (one chock at the front, on the opposite side the back) and when the van is level with steadies down, I wind up the jockey wheel just enough to turn it round so that it's lying side-on to the direction of travel.

In storage I used 'wheel savers', pump up the tyre pressures to 5 bars, lower the steadies and place a block(s) of wood under the triangular pointy bit (note the technical term), and then raise the jockey wheel just enough so that the inflatable tyre is clear of the concrete floor. Concrete and rubber do not go well together over any length of time. Using tyre savers and lowered steadies there is no possibility of the van moving and so the handbrake is left OFF.

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT), Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.

Last edited Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:30 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 32 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4