RE: Petrol towcar

in We've got it down to a T Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:41 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

There's a very interesting article in today's Sunday Times (p22), Neville, under the heading "Vauxhalls top list of most toxic cars" that should make you even happier about moving back to a petrol engine.

Leeds University's roadside monitoring and instantaneous analysis of exhaust gases from road vehicles and subsequent identification of make and model from number plate recognition have shown that Vectra diesels are emitting ten times the Euro 5 limit of NOx, "making it perhaps Britain's most polluting car from any mainstream manufacturer."

Vauxhall representatives have said that they employ no illicit software to cheat emissions tests but use exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) to direct exhaust gases back through the engine to reduce NOx. The article goes on to state, "Such systems are generally believed to work well at low engine loadings but can shut off as power demands increase."

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:58 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:51 pm
by hob (deleted)

Thats interesting as I was never ill until I got the diesel vauxhall ...........was fine with the 2.5l diesel ranger, will have to see how I get on now.
Had the petrol one for a week now and done about 100 miles, on board computer now confirms 15mpg less than the diesel but thats not a problem if its not making me as ill

Never once saw a dpf light on the dash and during a service had to ask the engineer if one was fitted had the car 21 months and never saw \ noticed a regen cycle.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Last edited Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:53 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:22 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #23
If anyone has a few minutes to kill, doing a bit of Googling on marine diesel engine pollution makes for interesting if rather depressing reading.

Big container ships (for example) use 'bunker fuel' to power their colossal engines - and I mean colossal; the biggest marine diesels produce anything between 40 and 100 thousand brake horse power and up to 5 million foot-pounds of torque at between 20 and 100 rpm. The cylinders have a bore of about three feet and the twenty-foot high pistons weigh five tons.

That kind of colossal.

Bunker fuel is the dregs left over when everything else useful apart from asphalt has been distilled from it. It has to be heated to reduce its viscosity enough for the engines to burn it, and stone cold is just about thick enough to walk on.

And it's cheap.

I won't attempt to vouch for the veracity of a series of articles (following one published by The Guardian in 2009) which report that the fifteen biggest container ships produce more sulphur dioxide and oxides of nitrogen in their exhaust than virtually all the cars in use on the planet, but even if it's only half correct it's a sobering thought, and just goes to show what levels of utter hypocrisy exist when the vested interests of industry become inextricably entangled.

One thing's for sure - it puts VW's NOx emissions shenanigans into some kind of perspective...

Also explains why I was so ill a few streets downwind of Felixstowe docks + about 1\2 the lorries in the country go there at least once a year

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1