Petrol towcar

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:33 pm
by hob (deleted)

Does anyone tow with a petrol powered motor? When I first started with caravans I had a pickup truck which happily towed up to 2 tons.
Since then I have moved up from a puck to a triton and changed the car to a vauxhall insignia.
When I got the insignia I was advised to get the 2L diesel as they are supposed to be better for towing but now I need a petrol car for health reasons (diesel fumes upset my lungs)
I remember a survey where 35 out of 39 members towed with diesel cars and only 4 with petrol

Petrol v Diesel car ownership

So I suppose the question is do petrol cars tow differently to diesel? I'm guessing I will have to rev it a bit more pulling away and maybe change gear a bit more often?

Specs

2L diesel H\power 140 torque 350nm
1.8L petrol H\power 138 torque 175nm

so similar H\p but 1\2 the torque

Getting the new car Monday but probably not towing with it until next year.

Forgot to say its another Insignia

P1020826.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1020828.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

RE: Petrol towcar

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:53 pm
by Frankofile (deleted)

I tow a troll 550 (laden to 1200k) with a 1200 petrol automatic skoda yeti! It won't go up hills very quick but on a recent trip we did go up a 1 in 10 hill without too much grunting. Best fuel consumption with the outfit has been 29.5 mpg but expect more like 25mpg under normal conditions or less than 20 in a bad headwind (and don't use the air con at the same time). Spec: 2013 Skoda Yeti 1200 turbo, 175Nm, 105 bhp. Outfit tows fine at 60mph on motorways with no snake or shake.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:01 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Hi Hob - I've towed our Puck L with both a 2 ltr. (pre DPF !) diesel Citroen Belingo and recently with a 1.6 ltr. petrol C3 Picasso. There is a noticeable difference, even with this light Eriba !

From a performance point of view there is no competition in my view - show the petrol a hill and it's change gear time, and then probably again if you loose too many revs ! The diesel just kept going , even if you needed to ease off the throttle.

Economy, again no contest - very little difference towing with the diesel, especially if you drive sensibly! The petrol returns a noticeable increase in consumption.

The diesel (my wife's)l was not replaced with a diesel as the strict pollution controls, dpf's , smaller cc engines have IMHO negated any of the advantages of the older 'simple' diesels, so for everyday use I think car diesels have had their day

To sum up , I think you will be 'stirring' the gears and need to keep those revs up and anticipate inclines and hills more than you've been used to ! So your economy will suffer. Not all bad news though. if it improves your health

Poptop320 and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I was one of the few who ticked the petrol box, Nev.

My Audi has the 2 litre turbocharged, direct injection engine that develops 200 Bhp @ 6000 rpm and 280Nm (207 lb-ft) torque @ 1500-5000rpm which I've found to be more than adequate for towing a Triton up and down even the steepest, longest hills in France.

I usually tow at 55-60 mph and on motorways can get over 30 mpg but more typically 27 mpg on A and B roads.

As I only do about 5-6000 miles annually in the convertible (we use Mrs C's Honda Jazz for running around) I realised that diesel wasn't for me.

You'll soon get used to the different towing characteristics.

Enjoy your new motor!

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:30 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

It's the torque that makes all the difference, Aarons Audi with 280Nm sounds like just the ticket. I had a 1300cc petrol dragging my Familia and it was painfull, steep hills were slow and waiting to pull out of a junction required a calendar....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
and Ribski like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:09 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

On level roads with car and caravan fully laden I'm in sixth gear at about 45-50mph, change down into fifth for long inclines when the rpm drop to 1500 and will use fourth and even third on occasion on really steep hills. On mountain roads with steep climbs and hairpin bends, I'll change down into second to get round the bend and then move up through the gears to climb to the next hairpin.

The important thing is to keep the engine spinning and not let the revs drop off to the point where it is straining. Audi's advice is to keep the revs in my particular engine above 1500 in normal driving.

Never having had a diesel I can't make a meaningful comparison but you'll soon get used to the particular characteristics of the new tow car and adapt your driving technique accordingly.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:57 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:13 pm
by hob (deleted)

An interesting bit of info, I was told the number plates on the car must be changed as they now have to have the postcode on them not something I was aware of before. (not sure if thats my postcode or the dealer one?)

Top tip get the dealer to save the old rear one so you can use it on the caravan.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:10 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: hob wrote in post #7
...not sure if thats my postcode or the dealer one?
It's the postcode (and name) of whoever supplies the plates, Nev.

rT-7
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:30 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

This is a wind up surely. Husband, Wife, Son and Daughter all living at home so they'll have the same registration plate eh?

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:47 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #9
This is a wind up surely. Husband, Wife, Son and Daughter all living at home so they'll have the same registration plate eh?

No Alan it means the post code appears in small letters/numbers below the vehicle registration as seen here on my new car

P1020832.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum moderator
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:51 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Ah, silly me.

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:12 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

We used to have a Toyota Avensis Petrol 2.0 L which was a lovely car to drive but towing was a bit of a nightmare. Living in Cornwall we have a lot of hills over Bodmin Moor (A30) and I would almost run out of gears on some hills (2nd gear) and foot hard down to stop being overtaken by Fiat Pandas.
Moved to Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2L diesel what a difference. Can now drive almost everywhere towing in 6th gear have to change down to 5th on some big hills but mostly hit the cruise control and just steer. Fuel wise the Toyota would drop down to 20mpg towing whereas the Santa Fe will return 32mph towing, 40mpg When solo.
Bearing in mind the number of diesel vehicles on the roads these days then changing to a petrol vehicle is not going to improve your health Nev unless you buy a VW Diesel of course
I would not consider a petrol vehicle for towing IMHO again unless a car with a lot of grunt

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
, Ribski, and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:41 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #12

Bearing in mind the number of diesel vehicles on the roads these days then changing to a petrol vehicle is not going to improve your health Nev....

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:05 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

I've never had a diesel car. When we bought the 430 last year we towed it with a 2 litre Toyota RAV4 petrol automatic, and found it easy to forget the Eriba was behind. Since then we've changed to a Honda CRV with exactly the same spec, and with the same results. I think the autobox makes towing a whole lot easier. I can't comment on mpg because I'm not brave enough to check the figures!

Oliver's Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:14 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #14
I've never had a diesel car. When we bought the 430 last year we towed it with a 2 litre Toyota RAV4 petrol automatic, and found it easy to forget the Eriba was behind. Since then we've changed to a Honda CRV with exactly the same spec, and with the same results. I think the autobox makes towing a whole lot easier. I can't comment on mpg because I'm not brave enough to check the figures!

To be honest and not at all arguementative just another point of view we had a petrol RAV4 it was the 2 litre vvti engine manual and it was easily the worst towcar we've had! Thirsty, noisy, lacked grunt, and certainly you knew you were towing! For those that know Halden hill just outside Exeter (so not exactly a very steep hill?) and it's 3 lanes in places, we were in 2nd gear with 3 passengers and ALL luggage contained in the car, and NOT towing, that's just to put it into perspective. The 3 series BMW we had after the RAV cruised up Halden hill in 5 th gear towing the Eriba Eriba Troll 540 gt loaded! BMW 320d 2litre great towcar, we've since sold the car and caravan and use a BMW solo!!

Despite what I've seen written about the "new" petrol engines I'm not convinced Diesel if towing for me at the moment everytime

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
, Keith and Sue and like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0