RE: Draining Down

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:53 am
by Crow (deleted)

Lots of Italian families remember it well!!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:59 pm
by SharDave (deleted)

It's our first caravanning experience, and I have discovered this 'black stuff' so glad it's not just our loo, was getting quite worried! So assume the way to sort this is by removing the top of the manual flush to get to the innards? What about the use of Milton ? Any good? If this stuff keeps coming back and is the norm why hasn't anyone come up with a black stuff destroyer? It looks rather gross when flushing!
Any advice appreciated for this newbie!
Ps I've tried to empty the flush ( as it looks like it may be a frost) although the water meter in the cassette housing is still showing it has water in it, what is the best way to remove all?
Thanks 👍🏻

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:09 pm
by SharDave (deleted)

How do you drain the flush apart from manually flushing it?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:10 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Black stuff in the flush tank is a common problem and by popular belief is caused by the use of the pink Aqua Rinse that many add to the rinse tank when filling. We've stopped using it now opting instead to buy the same product in a spray form https://www.thetford-europe.com/product/aqua-rinse-spray/ and simply spray the bowl after use. Gives a nice pleasant fresh smell without the clogging up of the tank. It also maintains and lubricates toilet seals

The remedy to your problem can be found on the Thetford website - https://www.thetford-europe.com/service/tips/ but here's the gist of it:-

This is how it works:

WHAT NEEDED: Household bleach + bucket/watering can

HOW:

Prepare a solution using 100ml household bleach per 10L of flush-water tank capacity. Prepare as much solution as needed to completely fill your flush-water tank.
Fill the flush-water tank completely with the prepared solution.
Leave it in for 24 hours.
Drain the flush-water tank by using the drain tube or flushing system.
Then fill the flush-water tank completely with fresh water and leave it in for 5 minutes.
Drain the flush-water tank again.
Repeat step 5+6 to make sure no bleach is left behind.

Note

Do not use together with other products.
Exceeding the stated dose or recommended duration could damage your Thetford toilet

As to your question regarding draining the end part of the flush tank filling tube actually swivels 180 degrees so that it points down to the ground. The plastic sight tube also pulls out and can be pointed towards the ground. Doing both of these things will drain the tank.

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:20 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:50 pm
by SharDave (deleted)

Thanks very much for that! 👍🏻👍🏻

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:53 am
by SharDave (deleted)

Deeps do you know if this will clean the bellows as well? Or would I need to take these out and clean separately ?

Last edited Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:21 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:52 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

I remember when cleaning the black smeg out of our toilet some years ago finding that what I thought were black rubber bellows were in fact transparent plastic when cleaned. I seem to recall removing the bellows and cleaning them by hand.

P1000436.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) P1000437.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Since moving from genuine Thetford solution to cheapo Aldi concentrated, the smeg problem has disappeared so it may be a problem associated with the use of only certain brands of flushing chemicals.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:19 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

The formula of the Thetford pink rinse liquid was changed a while back in response to the black gunge problem and is now labelled Aqua Rinse Plus.

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:35 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #23
The formula of the Thetford pink rinse liquid was changed a while back in response to the black gunge problem and is now labelled Aqua Rinse Plus.

For what it's worth, the Elsan equivalent doesn't cause the same problems. We started off with the Elsan stuff, and since it's always worked we've had no reason to change to anything else.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:40 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Is there any real benefit to these rinse liquids? We only use plain water at home🤔

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:31 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Do you have a Thetford toilet at home than?

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:45 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #25
Is there any real benefit to these rinse liquids? We only use plain water at home🤔
Really?

We like using a caravan toilet so much that we've replaced both our house toilets with them, pink water and all. It smells nice. It reminds me of the great outdoors; wet awnings, wet knees, wet dogs, wet clothes, a wet car, campsites right on a thunderous main road and no pub within miles. It reminds me of having to nail a canvas house with crinkly plastic windows to the ground so that it doesn't blow away, and rocks under what passes for a carpet. It reminds me of struggling to get a picture on a poxy little television when we could stay at home in front of a log burner and watch a proper big one while sitting on comfortable furniture, eating food we really want to eat. And going to sleep in a nice big bed...

Thing is, there's nothing quite like that bracing walk down the road wheeling a plastic suitcase full of ****

I get to talk to all the neighbours, something I never used to do. I've only dropped a spout cap down the manhole once. Occasionally I have to explain to people what I'm doing.

Sometimes I show them, but once is usually enough.

mr_underhill, Magpie, Randa france, rs540 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:41 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I hesitate to say but we do like pépé le pew.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:36 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Surely not? You must be the only one who does.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
, Randa france and rs540 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:09 am
by eribaMotters | 5.297 Posts

I have fitted an isolator switch on the water pump, so when leaving site after our last night of the season I can leave all valves and taps open once I have drained down the on-board tank and water heater. Hopefully anything left in the pipes then has a chance to drip down on the way home or dry out before the cold weather sets it. With the toilet I empty the flush tank by inverting the clear tube and hose, wash everything down and leave a drop of pine disinfectant in the bottom of the toilet waste tank.
At the start of the season I prime all pipework through with sterilising solution tablets form local supermarket, leave to stand and then flush clean.

Hopefully this will still be OK for this year as it's the first year I have not been able to store in a garage.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105572 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1