SD and USB

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:02 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Oh how I hate technology.

As we have all our music on a couple of large USB's and can play our entire collection in the car, we thought it might be a good idea to buy a cheap and cheerful MP3 Portable Stereo System for the Eriba.

We didn't want anything too expensive or too sophisticated and certainly didn't want anything built in. The other day we came across this:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/August-MB300-Por...e/dp/B0031NF116

It arrived today and it's a lovely little bit of kit. The size of a double block of butter and colours to match the Eriba interior. Plenty of volume for a small space and mains/rechargeable battery powered. It's got a built in alarm clock and will take either USB's or SD cards. It doesn't have a track display but we can live with that.

Big snag. It would only play a small quantity of our music. After a lot of head scratching we realised that the majority of our music is formatted as WAV files and not MP3's and this little player will only read MP3's (many more expensive ones will play either ).

We're not sending it back now so Mrs R is re-burning a lot of our favourites as MP3 files.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:10 pm | Scroll up

RE: SD and USB

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:13 pm
by Journeyers55 (deleted)

Oh I like that Paul's got lots of our music on tiny Walkman with pop out speakers that charge vibr8 xt but we are lacking a clock and I can't do ticking clocks at the best of times .so that's perfect and the price is great he will be straight on fleabay.
Caz and Paul

1996 Eriba Triton 410 & Misubishi pinin 1.8
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:23 pm
by hob (deleted)

As far as I remember .mp3 are smaller than .wav files so you should get more on the usb sticks ......... sounds like you can play them from camera cards too.

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:25 pm

The clock isn't permanently illuminated. There's a button on the top centre that lights up the time although in daylight the display is legible. ( haven't tried the remote yet )

Last edited Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:11 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:38 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
We're not sending it back now so Mrs R is re-burning a lot of our favourites as MP3 files.
Why not convert the .wav files to mp3 rather than burn them all over again?

There are umpteen free programs that'll do it, many of them online. Just make sure the bit rate is as high as you can get it, and Robert's your mother's brother.

sf-T 33/7r

Randa france and Magpie like this post!
Last edited Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:50 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

I got lost ten minutes ago!!!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:13 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

I got lost at the very beginning.

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:44 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Neat looking little box and a plus it matches the Eriba interior -

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:35 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Magpie wrote in post #6
I got lost ten minutes ago!!!

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #7
I got lost at the very beginning.

Usb refers to a storage stick that can be plugged into lots of things like computers, tablets, music players car radio's and so on.

They can be used to store anything that can be stored on a computers built in hard drive, things like programs, photographs, and digital music.

Music on a cd can be altered on a computer to digital format and stored on these storage sticks which when plugged into a music player will read the digital information and play the music.

Going back a number of years this digital music was made in different types of files by different companies rather like video was either vhs or betamax,
digital music was either wav or mp3 (and a few other minor types) wav was an older type than mp3 (which along with mp4 its improved version are used as the sound part of dvd's)

As with betamax wav format has pretty much fallen by the wayside with mp3 being the standard for digital music and as Roger has found out support among the newer players for wav is falling away too.

This little gadget is a Usb storage stick which with miniaturisation moving along at a lightening pace is bigger storage wise than 15 computer drives when I first started
P1020947.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

It is 2 inches long (including the plug) and is capable of storing about 5200 music tracks give or take a few, I had one quarter that size in the pickup truck a couple of years ago and in 6 months never heard the same track twice

I can just about get my entire music collection on there,

I use one to transfer files and photographs backwards and forwards between my main pc and my laptop between trips in the eriba.

The sd card Roger mentions is the type most used these days in digital camera's
P1290696.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

which can store as much information as the Usb storage sticks can.

Im going to have to give this stuff up I'm sounding too much like a nurd.

weirdpic10.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum moderator
Aaron Calder, Julie Grafo and Magpie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:47 pm
by hob (deleted)

Roger I was looking at the q & a for that music box of yours at the bottom of the page and there it says

Zitat
you can use memory stick but only max of 4Gb

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:54 pm

Yes I saw that but you can get a huge amount of material on a 4GB SD card or memory stick

Last edited Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:11 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:57 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #11
Yes I saw that but you can get a huge amount of material on a 4GB SD card or memory stick

As long as you are aware the one in my post above is 16 Gb and they make them bigger than that now

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:11 pm

Quote: A guest wrote in post #12
[ As long as you are aware the one in my post above is 16 Gb and they make them bigger than that now

Yes, because my old faithful laptop stopped working a couple of weeks ago and I'm now having to use an ageing Asus Eee notebook I was given a present of a 64GB stick to use for storing a lot of my files.

By using it almost like an external hard drive it's amazing how much better this little computer works.

Randa

Last edited Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:21 pm
by robandali (deleted)

My old ears are quite happy with MP3 files at 128kbps (approx. CD quality) and I find these are about 10 times smaller than wav files, so you'll need far less storage space with mp3s. I have about 10GB of them on my phone and play them in the Eriba via a bluetooth speaker. Sorted!

Triton 430 following a Peugeot 3008 2.0L diesel
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:22 pm
by hob (deleted)

My first desktop had a hard drive that was less than 1 Gb ............... I have an external backup drive that is 1000 times bigger than that now ..........and another inside the desktop

Scary stuff in a way, makes you wonder where it will lead to in the near future? artificial intelligence maybe? or are we already in the matrix

Forum moderator

Last edited Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:02 am | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5