Richard...How can you lower the height of a Triton to fit in my garage?

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:34 am
by rsdavidson (deleted)

Hi all,

We are hoping to buy a Triton 420 but face a frustrating problem.

We've been camping and caravanning all of our married life but am fed up with the big box sitting outside the house all year and also the fact that the weather can get to it. I said to my wife, "that's it...I'll not buy another unless I can get it into the garage".

The limiting dimension is the height which is 2.1m.

W really fancy a Triton 420 which has a specified height of 2.26m or maybe older ones...2.2m. So as they stand, they are too tall to get in the garage.

I've heard that some folks have acquired "parking wheels', being either smaller steel wheels without tyres on (just to roll it in) or steel wheels made by steel fabricators.

I'm hoping that if anyone knows, you folks will.

If there's any hope here, how much could a Triton be lowered by?

....and I know that I can get a Puck which is lower and will fit but would prefer the Triton for the width and length etc.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Richard

Scroll up

RE: Richard...How can you lower the height of a Triton to fit in my garage?

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:40 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

You could get smaller wheels, but each time you went anywhere (or came back from anywhere) you'd have to jack the van up and go through all the faff of swapping them over.

I reckon that'd get old really quickly.

You could lower the ground level at the garage door threshold by digging out a couple of inverted ramps, as it were, but the slope down and back up again would have to be pretty long. There's quite a lot of van to go in before the wheels get near the door, and quite a lot after they have gone inside. You could lift the front end as you enter the door opening and drop it once the wheels are inside - kind of 'ducking' it in, but one day you'd forget, or get distracted, and wallop the roof on the garage door lintel.

And apart from the fact that rainwater would pool in your nifty little trenches unless you dug a lot more out and installed extra drainage, there's quite a good chance you wouldn't remember they were there, put your foot in one and trip up.

Or Mrs Richard would, which is probably a lot worse.

Without the benefit of having seen your garage I would suggest that raising the lintel and modifying the door(s) is probably the best bet.

yy-R56kh

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:01 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:29 am
by Frantone (deleted)

Pete's right about this. It rather depends on the garage design but if you have an up and over door then it could be changed to side hung and then the lintel could be raised.
Is the width OK?

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:27 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Those ideas sound a bit drastic. As an Eriba is not a 'big box' but a thing of beauty we are quite happy for ours to sit alongside the house and be admired! It has its green cover on from November to February and then you don't notice it. Some folks want to use theirs all year so don't bother with the cover.

and Aaron Calder like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:21 pm
by rsdavidson (deleted)

Thanks very much for the input.

To further clarify...the garage is a double garage in brick, about 19 years old with roller shutter doors.

You can't raise the door height without serious and costly building work.

The lintel height is the limiting factor at 2.1m.

We have a pavior brick forecourt and a concrete floor so cutting tracks would work but the solution worse than the problem.

I'm asking specifically about the "parking wheels" idea.

Probably, at the very least, it would be for Winter storage. Therefore in late Autumn, I change the wheels to something than can dip the height by as much as possible. Roll it in and reserve the procedure in the Spring. I can absolutely accept this inconvenience. It would be cheap, non disruptive and not too difficult.

Therefore, the questions remain...

Does anyone know what kind of "low/small wheel" can be used?

How much of a drop can be achieved?

I do see this question being asked by various users of any wheeled vehicle to get them into storage but specifics with regard to an Eriba would be invaluable.

It relates to that old World war 2 story about how to get the truck under the low bridge...? A school boy story and the answer was to let the air out of the tyres on that occasion.

I believe there are Eriba people who are doing this very thing ie small steel wheel rims only for storage but what do they use and how many inches/cms can they drop?

Hoping....and thanks again.

Richard

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:07 pm

This might help a bit:

P1010134.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

If you ignore the jacking point (which is a non-standard fitting), I suspect the lowest point is the bottom shock absorber mount. The wheels on this van are 14", and the tyres (185R14C) have an uncompressed sidewall height of a whisker under 6".

In my case (and this is assuming that the spare wheel carrier hangs no lower than that shock absorber mount), if I ran it on the bare rims I'd gain the height of the tyre sidewall less the tyre's compression. In this case, about 5".

It's not scientific, and I can't go out and measure it because for one thing it's really quite parky outside, and the van is nine miles away in storage.

yy-R56kh

Last edited Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:09 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:28 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

from memory yes another eribanist did change the wheels, for storage
am trying to remember if made wooded rounds lots of wood layed on each outer and glued / screwed together with holes cut out for wheel bolts, not the old fashioned spoke wheels, although that might work if know a wheel wright
or use steel wheel rims with out tyres,
its possible used trailer wheel or the mini wheels, all really depended on size of eriba.. and the pcd / measurement of wheel bolts from each other which I haven't a clue what eriba ones are..
sorry not much help

edit seeing pepe le pews post
the height of 185r 14 tyres are 12cm from rim to ground
this is measure from alloy wheel rims some eribas are supplied with steel ones..
its raining hard here so cant get under for shocker to ground measurement which is the limiting factor to lowering being the lowest point..

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:51 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:01 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Have to be a bit careful there Pops as the Triton in question might be a five stud wheel.

I think 5 stud wheels are 14" while 13" wheels and below are 4 stud.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:10 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

bah heck, wouldn't it be good if they fit the same wheels to triton and trolls,

awaiting a rush of triton owners with bottom of shock absorber to ground measurements and tyre sizes

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:17 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Quote: Pop540 wrote in post #7
...the height of 185r 14 tyres are 12cm from rim to ground...
I'm guessing you were able to measure your own tyres - I couldn't do that, so I relied on this from the net:

"Light Truck tires or Commercial tires sometimes do not include the aspect ratio number on the tire, for example - 185R14C. With these tires the manufacturers have adapted a standard aspect ratio of 82%, so for 185R14C tire the side wall height will be 151.7 mm"

If it was me I reckon demolish my garage and build a new one. I could do with brushing up on my brickie skills

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm
by rsdavidson (deleted)

Wow,

Now that's more like it.

Some good stuff there.

One critical dimension is from the lowest point under the van to the ground. (Shock absorber mount or spare wheel carrier)?

I honestly think this is do-able.

I think I have 185R 14C tyres on my Ace Rallyman on 14" rims but the distance as it sits on the drive measures about 10cms...yes the critical needed distance but at that, too close (scrape). That's if the Eriba has a similar arrangement, but maybe my tyres need more air so the 12cms estimate does sound right.

....imagine though, that a smaller wheel could be fitted albeit with the same bolt spacing.

When I mentioned this to Cameron at Automotiveleisure, I think he mentioned the fitting of 10" wheels for example? ((my trailer uses 100" wheels but different bolt spacing).

I just wasn't sure (apart from the bolt spacing) if you can say fit an 11" wheel in place of a 14" without issue?

In any case...there is hope.

I really appreciate the replies...more than kind and yes, we've had four seasons in one day here in Holywood, Northern Ireland from snow to bright sunshine and it is cold today!

Be brilliant if we could find someone who has actually done it though.

Richard

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:15 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Are you buying from AL and have you established whether it's a 14" wheel or a 13" wheel?

If Cameron is talking 10" wheels which are 4 stud then the Triton you're looking at is a 13" 4 stud.

Like the others I've heard that it has been done and probably even if the PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) of lets say a 10" wheel, has to be bored out to match a 4 stud Triton, then you're not going far on the wheels are you? You really need to find out if your're talking about a 4 stud or a 5 stud.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:53 pm
by rsdavidson (deleted)

Thanks for that..

You know, I'm not sure whether it will be a 4 or 5 Stud wheel as I haven't picked one yet.
I've been reading widely and find it all somewhat confusing.

I think I'd somehow hope to pick a Triton 420 for the long single beds and washroom.
The cost of extras by the dealer seems potentially very expensive so a good used GT might be good and hopefully a ,2.2m high model in preference to a 2.26 high model.
That might be a 2008 420GT.

I spoke to the guy I buy my car tyres from locally and explained the concept to him...

He seemed in no doubt that a smaller wheel say 10" or 11" on its rim with no tyre should do it, given I'm only rolling the unit in about 15 ft to store.

Phew.

I need to do this remote research because once the unit targeted, I have to travel from N Ireland to England most probably to buy.

Thanks so much for the input.

Richard

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:06 am

There is one other thing. You might not be moving the van in and out of your garage every other day, but rolling a ton of metal and wood on bare rims is going to make a mess of both your drive and the wheel flanges.

The contact points carrying all that weight are tiny.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:39 am
by GANGES (deleted)

storage.if you don't like looking at it.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105786 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2