Bigger wheels for off-road use

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri May 27, 2016 5:30 pm
by Craig_n_Anna (deleted)

Hi,
We're having some great times in the Troll but are finding it necessary to go dead-slow over pot-holed roads. The thought occurs that bigger wheels might allow greater flexibility on road surfaces which are less than ideal. An idea for the future is to take breaks literally off the beaten track...
Does anybody knowor have any idea as to whether this has been done before & if so how pls?

Troll 550 FB being hauled by old Volvo Estate (diesel auto).

eribanaut likes this post!
Last edited Fri May 27, 2016 5:31 pm | Scroll up

RE: Bigger wheels for off-road use

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri May 27, 2016 8:39 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

P1040816.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)I saw this done with a triton 4 years ago in Morocco, he had raised the suspension and fitted land cruiser wheels, but I don't know the tech details

Eriba Triton 430 converted to a 418 ish 04 import tickling a Citroen C4 auto 1.6 Hdi

likes this post!
Last edited Fri May 27, 2016 8:49 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 28, 2016 9:31 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

I doubt bigger wheels and/or taller tyres - big enough to offer a worthwhile advantage, at any rate - would fit in the existing wheel arches. It's not just the diameter; as that increases, so does the width. I think you'd need to make changes to the suspension to accommodate the larger diameter, as that bloke appears to have done in the photo Dave posted.

Ideally you'd want to raise the suspension to give you the clearance you need and fit softer dampers with more travel. There's very little articulation in the suspension as is, and the dampers are pretty firm. If you think about a 4x4 which is properly capable off-road, its main characteristics are a long-travel suspension with lots of articulation, softish dampers and tall tyres often running a lower pressure than normal to allow the sidewalls to absorb more of the surface irregularities.

If you can go some way to replicating that set-up there'll be no stopping you

Whether it's worth all the faff and expense is a moot point. It'll likely make it much harder to sell, too - modifications like that would only appeal to a small number of people, and it's only a guess but I reckon you might struggle a bit to get a decent part exchange price at a dealer.

And don't forget to buy a small stepladder for getting in and out...

yy-R56kh

likes this post!
Last edited Sat May 28, 2016 9:56 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat May 28, 2016 12:59 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Clever devils those 'Bavarians' (OAL registration is for Ostallgäu, Bavaria by the way) as from the photo it looks as though he's borrowed the nose wheels of a Jumbo Jet.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 29, 2016 6:08 am
by Craig_n_Anna (deleted)

Very interesting - thank you. TBH, we'd not thought about the downside of it being harder to sell - very valid point. Like the advice about it not being just the wheel size though... :-)

Troll 550 FB being hauled by old Volvo Estate (diesel auto).
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 7:56 am
by Tipsywitch (deleted)

I'm no expert in these matters, but it looks to me as if it's not just the wheels which were modified. Looks as if the Triton body has been attached to a different chassis, or trailer base.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 9:30 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Zitat
I'm no expert in these matters, but it looks to me as if it's not just the wheels which were modified. Looks as if the Triton body has been attached to a different chassis, or trailer base.

Agreed - looking at the chassis there's no way you'd fit those wheels on a standard Eriba without dropping the axle etc etc. The logo on the chassis looks like Alko?

Good idea though and with the Eriba construction probably not that hard if you've got the kit.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 10:13 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I get the impression, judging by the way that the waistlines of tow car and caravan match up exactly, the uniform colour scheme of car and van and the identical caravan and car wheels and tyres, that it is more of a cosmetic exercise than anything else.

I seriously doubt whether the modifications will have made any significant difference to the Eriba's off-road capability.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:20 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 10:51 am
by Tipsywitch (deleted)

I reckon there could be a market for these in UK
http://www.wohnwagenforum.de/unser-offro...-t44680-20.html

And this one looks the business ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKjui1XGpM

likes this post!
Last edited Mon May 30, 2016 10:56 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 11:23 am
by Dogwalkers (deleted)

With the second van would there not be a problem of the sediment in the bottom of the bottles being disturbed or should we drink cheaper vino. Shaun Niki and Fonzie.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 12:00 pm
by Tipsywitch (deleted)

With the second van you could try to limit its movement by storing wine amidships above the axle. Motion speeds up the ageing process of wine and can actually improve the development of some young, well filtered red wines. Wouldn't recommend it with sparkling though.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 2:09 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Raising the body would increase the difficulty of fitting an awning on sloping ground, on my Triton, it's bad enough as it is with a Soplair awning. I guess a driveaway awning would still fit OK.

2007 Triton 430GT - Skoda Octavia 4x4
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 2:26 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

wondering if fitting the commercial variant of tyre may increase the height of ground clearance, we are on 185 r14c with a weight rate 102 we manage with general pot holes, the ones you find must have been previous lake beds

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 4:33 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

Quote: Tipsywitch wrote in post #9
And this one looks the business ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jKjui1XGpM

Build thread for that one here. This one is heavily engineered, most seem to bolt box section steel between the axle and the Eriba chassis and weld shock mounts to it.

2005 Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 30, 2016 4:37 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

eriba_hoeher_08.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2005 Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4