Toilet Door Screws

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:41 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

This thread was added to Eribafolk Facebook this morning by Keith Bartlett. Thought it might be useful to share it.

Keith Bartlett.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

and like this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:05 pm | Scroll up

RE: Toilet Door Screws

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:33 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

How sad that this should be necessary on an up-market marque like Eriba. Hymer should be ashamed.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:08 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #2
How sad that this should be necessary on an up-market marque like Eriba. Hymer should be ashamed.
Problem is, Mr C, you have to go an awfully long way up-market before things stop being built down to a price.

We've said it before on here - look behind the aesthetics and it won't take long to find examples of slipshod workmanship, year six woodworking skills and inexcusable penny-pinching.

The overhead locker hinges on the later models were a classic example of the latter. They ditched those lovely cast articulated hinges and replaced them with cheap substitutes which simply weren't the right thing for the job.

It's a shame that the ship's so often spoiled for a few ha'p'orths of tar, but I wouldn't have any other kind of caravan.

And besides which, there's a certain amount of perverse satisfaction in taking stuff apart and putting it back together the way it should have been put together in the first place.

You should know - you've been there yourself

yy-R56kh
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:34 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #3
And besides which, there's a certain amount of perverse satisfaction in taking stuff apart and putting it back together the way it should have been put together in the first place.

You should know - you've been there yourself

Too true, mate, but not everyone can do DIY like wot you and I can and enjoy the experience. They are the ones that I feel are being let down.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:56 pm

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #4
They are the ones that I feel are being let down.
Indeed.

It's a pretty poor show, really.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:15 pm
by hob (deleted)

One of the first things I noticed when my 2006 Triton arrived from Holland was the chrome self tapper type screws mingled in with the original screws holding the toilet door on its hinges so the problem has existed for at least 10 years, and such a cheap fix (bigger screws with coarser threads) makes you wonder if they ever read customer complaints?

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Quote: hob wrote in post #6
One of the first things I noticed when my 2006 Triton arrived from Holland was the chrome self tapper type screws mingled in with the original screws holding the toilet door on its hinges so the problem has existed for at least 10 years, and such a cheap fix (bigger screws with coarser threads) makes you wonder if they ever read customer complaints?
If they can sell all they make and second hand ones are in such demand, you can kind of understand why they appear oblivious to customer criticism.

Not that this in any way justifies their apparent diffidence, mind...

Anyway, there is another inexpensive means of improving the hinge situation - I'm not saying it's any better; it's just a different method. I found out that B&Q sell identical hinges to the original three fitted to our 2008 Troll (and probably most other vans of a similar vintage), so I bought some more and put two extra ones centrally in the gaps between the existing ones. This means that the load is shared between five hinges rather than three, lessening the stress on each one and helping to prevent the door from twisting.

It shuts more neatly now, and the catches locate better.

Actually, I bought six hinges (because they came in packets of two) and replaced the three originals as well, just for the sake of completeness. And replaced all the screws with some slightly longer ones just to be sure.

It's not anal, it's just tidy...

yy-R56kh

and like this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:40 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 49 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0