The search for that elusive (mythical?) perfect camp site.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:22 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

One of my many problems is that wherever we go with the caravan, I have this unshakeable conviction that a much better site exists just around the next bend, a few miles down the road or in the next town or village and if only I had driven that little bit farther, we'd be on the perfect pitch.

But does this perfect pitch really exist or is it a figment of my fevered imagination?

This got me thinking about what I'm really looking for when camping and I came up with a short list of desirables, in no particular order of importance:

1. A picturesque, tranquil location preferably near a river or canal

2. Clean and comprehensive facilities with lots of hot water at sinks, basins and showers. Soap, toilet paper and hand-drying faciilties provided

3. Within walking distance of a small town or village with a supermarket and fuel station.

4. Partial shade on good-sized, level pitches

5. Pleasant, helpful people in the reception

6. Heated, preferably covered swimming pool

7. In an interesting area with lots of places to visit for days out.

8. Non exorbitant nightly pitch fees.

9. The ability to have visitors during the day without having to pay a supplement.

10. EDIT - Free WiFi at every pitch not just near reception.

That will do for a start, but what would be on your list; have you ever found the perfect site and if so, where?

The sites that have come closest to achieving 'perfect' status for us so far have been:

a. A non-ACSI site at Remoulins, near the Pont du Gard (but the Mistral can be a problem) - now part of a major chain and has lost its charm

b. ACSI campsite at Beaulieu-sur-Dordogne ticked just about all the boxes and my highest rated so far

c. ACSI site at Séverac-le-Chateau just off the A75 north of Millau.

d. ACSI 'Le Puits de l'Auture', St Palais sur Mer (sadly no pool)

e. ACSI site at Mirabel et Blacons, near Crest, Drôme

What about you?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:49 pm | Scroll up

RE: The search for that elusive (mythical?) perfect camp site.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:52 pm
by gattim (deleted)

Glad I read this, we are currently in the Dordogne but heading south east to spend time at Uzes with some friends and then don't have a plan, so Millau sounds a good start - if it ticks all your boxes then it must be some site!

Our boxes are probably fewer than yours and we do judge sites on their disabled facilities, so our recommendations might not be appropriate for everyone.
We are staying at Le Paradis, St-Leon-sur-Verzere which would tick many of your boxes. It has the added bonus/disadvantage (depending on your point of view) of a happy hour in the terrace bar between 5 and 6. I cringe at some of the Brits queuing at 4:55 and then pointing at the drink they want and just saying "two"
However, 500 ml of draught Leffe and a large Sauvignon blanc for 5 euro 50 isn't all bad and it does mean getting to know some fellow campers of all nationalities.

(It is rather earlier than usual to start boozing but we are getting to be earlier as a result!)

, Aaron Calder, highmiler, and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:58 am

Please don't let me mislead you as I can't comment regarding facilities for people with disabilities.

Severac-le-Chateau is a lovely site but it's a stiff climb to the medieval town and castle. A site in Millau itself might suit your particular needs better. We've used the middle one of three along the riverside from the roundabout, Les Erables I think.

When we were in Millau last year they were in the middle of extensive refurbishment of the town centre pedestrianised area and it looked as though it was going to be very attractive when completed.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:57 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Zitat
Quote Aaron Calder:- That will do for a start, but what would be on your list; have you ever found the perfect site and if so, where?

Difficult question. I spent some time last night thinking about this one.

Firstly, the main thing I'd like to add to Brian's list is a private (non walk through) pitch. People who walk diagonally across your pitch rather than taking the road/footpath which adds perhaps 20 metres to their journey, really rattles me.

As to the perfect campsite, I can't remember there ever being one. We've stayed at many dozens of wonderful campsites but there's always something that lets them down eg. perfect pitch, perfect view, toilets clean but only adequate.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

marmite likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:02 am
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

Vendóme on Le Loir ticks most of the boxes. The only disadvantages seemed to be the major road passing close by but with French rules the lorries stop at around 8pm and weekends so it quietens down. Also when we stopped there they did not accept cards so were told 'Pitch anywhere and bring us the fees when you get the chance to pass the cashpoint in town, about 400 mtrs '20110802_0334.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte).

Last edited Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:04 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:09 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

We've found our perfect site and that's all you need to know

Denise & Phil

campnsnooze, , Eribanut and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:12 pm

{irony}Thank you very much.[/irony]

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet [

marmite likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:24 pm

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #7
{irony}Thank you very much.[/irony]

Blimey, are you two doing the ironying again?

marmite, mr_underhill, Aaron Calder and like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:41 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:48 pm
by hob (deleted)

1. A picturesque, tranquil location preferably near a river or canal

2. Clean and comprehensive facilities with lots of hot water at sinks, basins and showers.

4. Partial shade on good-sized, level pitches

5. Pleasant, helpful people in the reception

7. In an interesting area with lots of places to visit for days out.

8. Non exorbitant nightly pitch fees.

10. EDIT - Free WiFi at every pitch not just near reception.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited the list above to suit my opinions

Additions

Adult only (never had kids and can't be doing with them ..... too long since I was one)

A site that lets me pitch which ever way round I want to

Bear friendly

Best option so far is poppylands

Poppyland Norfolk

Doesn't tick all the boxes but is my favourite so far

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Randa france, , , Aaron Calder, , Ribski, and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:21 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

They were lovely people there at Poppylands, and the site is so clean

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:11 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Apart from the pool I think my drive fits the bill..............?

Lonely Kia Sportage waiting for a push
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:50 am

And the nightly rates are SO reasonable.

Forum Administrator

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:25 am
by Eribear (deleted)

Know exactly what you mean...I do loads of research before leaving but we are sometimes disappointed ...not that often ...but sometimes. What are the names of the campsites you mentioned, please....or are they the only ones in those places?

A swimming pool is not an imperative for us though we do enjoy swimming. We also prefer paying for wifi as it's often a lot better and faster than free. We bought a product called 'iboost' made by 'motorhome wifi' at a Caravan show a couple of years ago and it's a great piece of kit. It cost around £250 or there abouts. It picks up a signal providing it is within 'line of sight' it has a very long range....kilometers.....and it creates a hot spot so you can connect all your IT gadgets with one subscription....we really value it....others may not....I have no connection to the company just love the gadget

We'll definitely be trying Poppylands in Norfolk...so thanks guys for that....I love Norfolk. We like Chirk. The wardens are rather lovely and not too far up their own b*****ms.....and if you ask they allow you to park your caravan which ever way you want providing you respect the fire regs. The Lllangollen canal is a stone's throw from the campsite and it takes about 10 mins to stroll into the attractive illage of Chirk. The camsite itself is very attractive surrounded by woods and very tranquil. It's only a short distance to Oswestry too which is a nice town with every amenity you might want.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:43 am

Zitat
Quote Rambling Robin :- Apart from the pool I think my drive fits the bill..............?

Zitat
Quote Aaron Calder :- And the nightly rates are SO reasonable.

Right, so that settles it then. Although they don't have a pool, next year's Eribafolk meet is around at Rambling Robin's house. Where do you live by the way?

Randa

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 am

Seriously though, this question has been preoccupying us for some days now. Every year we add more campsites to the top of our list. We've added 3 or 4 in this year alone.

So, to get the monkey off our back (don't mean you Brian ) we've narrowed it down to two, ie. at least for this week.

1) http://www.camping-soleil-de-provence.fr/CAMPING_GB.htm (not ACSI). 4km above Vaison-la-Romaine and 360 degree views incl. Mont Ventoux.

We stayed here at Easter so it was very peaceful. The pool wasn't open however. The lady site owner visited all the campers and presented us with a chocolate Easter egg. Large, private emplacements, all with good views and nice gardens. The ones on the top had exceptional views all around but were very windy.

2) http://www.campingcard.co.uk/france/lowe...aliotis-110189/ On the edge of the town of Pontorson and the cycle track to St Michel runs through the campsite. Really nice emplacements and well tended gardens. We treated ourselves to a pitch with a private bathroom which was state of the art.

(pity about the name however. A better name would be a breath of fresh air )

Randa

Visitors
2 Members and 27 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2