Gas locker door corrosion

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:59 pm
by philipdick (deleted)

The left side of the gas locker door on my 2011 Troll 540 has a small but significant area of corrosion and a small hole at the edge of the aluminium panel. Does anyone know of a way this could be repaired without it looking obvious or could anyone thoroughly recommend a mobile bodywork restorer in my area of Kent and East Sussex?. It's most unlikely but does anyone have a good gas locker door for sale?
I would add a couple of photos but cannot seem to be able to find a way of attaching them.

Scroll up

RE: Gas locker door corrosion

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:07 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Hi Philip and welcome to Eribafolk.

I was only looking at this photo on Facebook yesterday so it sounds like you're not alone:- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...&type=3&theater

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:37 pm
by hob (deleted)

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:02 pm
by philipdick (deleted)

Hi Randa, Thanks for your welcome. It looks as if I have a not uncommon problem with my door.

Brian.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I would contact dealer/hymer. This is not a warranty issue but a sale of goods issue that has NO limit on the time. The goods are not fit for purpose as the metal has not been prepared correctly prior to painting.
As other examples can be found this is not an isolated issue and should be addressed. I would not stand down on this and expect a negative response from hymer.

Colin

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:03 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

If the 6 year water integrity guarantee has recently expired then you might be successful in Hymer making a part goodwill payment for the repair/replacement of the door. However, you would quite reasonably be expected to show that the integrity test had been carried out at the
prescribed intervals which, looking at the one post made by Ingrid in the link provided by Randa, this doesn't appear to have been the case.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:39 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

I agree with Colin. Irrespective of any warranty, consumer protection law entitles you to quality in goods that a reasonable person would expect given all the circumstances, e.g. price, description etc. This right is not dependent on any water ingress test. However, the drawback is that you can only claim from your seller. Also consumer protection does not apply to private sales. If you bought from a trader then go back to them and argue that significant rust would not be expected on a van of that age. Given that it is 5 years old, it might be reasonable for you to pay a proportion of the repair cost, especially if it needs a new door (as you will be getting a better door than you should have). If you bought from a dealer, they will probably be told to get lost by Hymer as out of warranty, but it's the dealers responsibility irrespective. Our locker door grew fungus inside due to a defective lock. It was replaced under warranty but had the van been older and they refused to deal with it I would have kicked up a fuss, as the defect was there from the beginning. Some things you expect to break/wear out etc. but rust within 5 years?

2010 VW T5 & 2014 Triton 420 GT, both in silver.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:46 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #5
This is not a warranty issue but a sale of goods issue that has NO limit on the time.
If only life were so straightforward.

If the O.P. is thinking of going down the Sale of Goods Act (now revamped and called the Consumer Rights Act) route, it might be worthwhile having a look at this.

I wouldn't be holding my breath.

There are many, many tales of car owners who have (quite justifiably) tried to squeeze corrosion repairs out of manufacturers within a corrosion warranty, never mind out of one.

It's not dissimilar.

I'd be coming up with a plan B if it was me and I wanted it resolved before I was too decrepit to drive the tow car.

yy-R56kh
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3