CRiS RFID Chip - where to stick it?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:15 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Hello,

Having registered with CRiS, I'm wondering what is the best place to stick the RFID chip. The instructions state the following:

"The police need to read the chip from outside of the caravan. This limits the possible fitting positions, as the chip cannot be read through metal. The chip can be read through almost all other non-metallic materials.
When choosing a location for your chip, bear in mind that it must be capable of being read by a police scanner at a 12" distance without interference from any metallic surfaces. It can be read through wood, glass, glass fibre reinforced plastic and almost any other non-metallic surface."

I don't want to put it on a window and I think the rest of the van is metallic.

Any ideas? Where have other members placed theirs?

Thanks.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.

Last edited Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:42 pm | Scroll up

RE: CRiS RFID Chip - where to stick it?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:58 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
where to stick it?

Pushing your luck asking a question like that with all the Micky takers on here

Window surrounds, light fittings wheel spats etc are all plastic, I don't have one, presumably they tell you where to stick it?

If not some of us can tell you

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:11 am
by Agger (deleted)

So all a thief has to do is check all the non metallic surfaces and remove the CRIS rfid, easy enough I'd of thought Especially as you can buy rfid "finders". Yet another reason why I think CRIS is a total waste of money! I know some storage sites require CRIS but for anyone not needing it for this purpose I have a question? When if ever have you had your VIN checked by Police, on arrival at a caravan site, or any other occasion?! Never happened to us!

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me

campnsnooze and like this post!
Last edited Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:11 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:24 am
by DBVWT (deleted)

Have to agree with you Agger but more and more insurance companies seem to be insisting on CRIS. I found out purely by chance reading the small print in my policy that I needed registration otherwise I may not have been covered!!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:32 am
by Agger (deleted)

I agree it's creeping in, but I just wish more would "question" the enforcement, I do know that recently on the M5 / 6 the Police and "other" agencies where checking towing vehicles, whether one of those other agencies was CRIS or not I don't know, but I doubt they employ more than a handful of people in the UK, if that.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:01 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

How about inside one of the wheel arches ?

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:20 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I am seriously considering to get my van CRiS registered, I got a insurance quote from caravan guard that was less than half what I pay now. There was no mention of CRiS until I asked and then he told me that it had to be CRiS registered for the policy...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:12 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #6
How about inside one of the wheel arches ?

I did ponder that, but I think the sticker holding the chip may get wet and perish.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:14 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

what about the back bumper, plenty of plastic there to hide it?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:21 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

How about sewing it into the bottom, top or side seam on one of the curtains.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:01 pm
by Dogwalkers (deleted)

What about in the pop top, that isn't metallic is it?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:31 pm
by Agger (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

It's the rfid technology I don't understand! I worked with it for many years BUT it's old hat and fine for shops BUT if you think Mr Plod is going to trawl around a "suspect" vehicle with his hand held scanner at 02:00 hours in the morning when it's cold wet and miserable I think your wrong.

Why if CRIS is so important ar'nt they employing newer technology?! Any cheap phone these days can be tracked via an app, it would be easy enough to link it to the onboard battery via an appropriate lead, so battery life would be fine. That way you can track it within minutes of you knowing the van has been taken! I'm guessing any site that stores vans will have the owners details? Such devices are widely available on Ebay.

CRIS is for me and always will be a way of extorting extra money from the caravan insurance industry! Does it's equal exist for cars? There is a saying that initially got me banned from somewhere else, so I am hesitant to use it here! As people seem to dislike my views on certain things, I understand that totally and respect it

Pepé Le Pew, Aaron Calder, Ribski and sibillini like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 58 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1