Winter prep

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:49 pm
by hob (deleted)

Well its that time of year again, a few days getting the Triton ready for winter.

I like to start inside and work my way out, so

1 drain all fluids,

Water, whatever applies?

1 on-board water tank
2 Small tank under sink.
3 Small tank under bathroom sink.
4 Toilet flush tank.
5 Portaloo if you have one
6 toilet cassette.
7 Aquaroll if you use one.
8 any type of grey water tank, rinse with disinfectant and leave caps off to dry internals before storing.
9 any other liquids including bottles of toilet chemicals if van not stored in a frost free environment.
10 open\exercise all taps to drain any water still in pipes.

Next go through everything and remove all food.

Remove all bedding and clothing to prevent it getting damp.

After 3 years owning the Triton time to go through every locker and cupboard and remove all those bits you bought "just in case" but never used

Next it was mats out and sweep \ wash the floor ............. leave to dry with door open before replacing, ......... throw out next doors cat before closing door.
Wash, throw away, any dishcloths, tea towels, towels ect from in the van and store indoors ready for next season.

Check gas is turned off, well thats it for day one .................. wash No 4 is still rotating in the kitchen and the tumble drier is wanting overtime pay

hob

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Winter prep

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:42 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.341 Posts

One to add to your list is to flush out the overflow waste at the rear of the cooker. In the past we have ran a dilute bleach solution down this, but only after sticking a cork in the end of the waste pipe under the van. Leave in for a few days and repeat before the cold weather sets in, or if you are storing indoors like us leave in for as long as you like.

Colin

ps leave fridge door slightly open

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.

, and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:43 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:56 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
One to add to your list is to flush out the overflow waste at the rear of the cooker. In the past we have ran a dilute bleach solution down this, but only after sticking a cork in the end of the waste pipe under the van. Leave in for a few days and repeat before the cold weather sets in, or if you are storing indoors like us leave in for as long as you like.

Colin

ps leave fridge door slightly open

Interesting comment, my Triton does indeed have a drain hole on the hob, never had the need to use it as always either use on site wash up facilities or wash up outside with a bowl drainer thingi and a garden centre plastic tray think the idea of the plughole in the hob is to use the unit as a drainer while washing up?

Not got to the fridge yet.

Forum moderator
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.341 Posts

I think it has dual purpose. A drainer for washing as you suggest, and also as a waste for overflow when pans boil over. Either way gunk can get into and the waste pipe to the outside.

Colin

eribaless at present, 4th eriba, a 2017 430 on order.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:31 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.614 Posts

I could do with a plug hole in my hob for when I boil my taters, they are always bubbling over..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:33 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #4
I think it has dual purpose. A drainer for washing as you suggest, and also as a waste for overflow when pans boil over. Either way gunk can get into and the waste pipe to the outside.

Colin

Presumably the sink waste and the hob waste connect somewhere under the sink and are therefore the same drain pipe.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:58 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.771 Posts

Some time ago, Amanda (Pop 540) suggested that freezing water could be the reason why the parts of the blue spray tap in the washroom sometimes split apart while the van is overwintered.

In an attempt to avoid this happening again this winter, after I drained the system down I put the tap into non-spray mode and blew the residual water back into the water supply tank. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the tip, Amanda.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:26 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

What do you do with the fresh water tanks, apart from emptying them via the taps to make sure they stay really clean? The previous owner of our van said that he always opened the trap in the top and used a sponge to make sure that there wasn't any trace of water left over winter. I could imagine anything left going rather nasty in time.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:44 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

One thing we forgot last winter but luckily no problem was to bung the waste pipefrom the sink, to prevent mice having ingree. Will do it this time.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:28 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 670 Posts

Give the surfaces in the vicintiy of the cooker and sink a wipe with a bleach based product. Might prevent the dreaded black mould.

2007 Triton 430GT - Skoda Octavia 4x4
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:40 pm
by Agger (deleted)

We always had a bar of sop in each eye level cupboard (except one or two we used for foodstuffs) and in the under bed lockers we had 2 bars, we used Dove, purely because it was boxed and clean, nice smell ALWAYS in our Eriba.

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish! 😎

I am above no one and no one is below me
Eribanut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:58 pm
by Old Rocker | 502 Posts

We have just started our winter prep. 1st bag of clothes gone in today, caravan washed last week and bed made up. Food going in tomorrow and off to The Lakes on Thursday! All year round caravanning for us, Cirencester in November and Chatsworth in January, we do stop for Christmas.

Troll 530, Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDI

He points to the sky saying "the Sun's not yellow, it's chicken"
mr_underhill, , Poptop320, Ribski and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:37 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

...and us!
Norfolk this week. Glastonbury in November. Rutland later then Devizes for New Year.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

and Ribski like this post!
Last edited Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:28 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 6 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12575 topics and 106064 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4