Just been scammed

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:08 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

I've been struggling since Saturday with a new tablet PC. Either it or I have not been working correctly.

However when I tried it this morning all was working OK until I visited Facebook. Within minutes of browsing a notification from Microsoft appeared on the screen with a verbal warning that the computer had been corrupted and that we needed to ring 0800869834 immediately. I was also warned not to click off the link but as I thought it might be a scam I tried unsuccessfully to do so anyway.

As this looked like a legitimate warning with a free phone number I cautiously went ahead and phoned it. I spent some time on there explaining that this was a new machine with nothing on it worth hacking as they appeared to be seeking out the problem.

Eventually, after being cut off and re-dialing to speak to a different geezer he started telling me that my Mcafee was not compatible before trying to sell me £250 worth of downloaded protection. The penny drops. Definitely a scam.

This is what others say :- http://www.unknownphone.com/search.php?num=08000869834

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

b2nun and like this post!
Last edited Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 pm | Scroll up

RE: Just been scammed

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

You may just want to get your phone bill checked in case you've been diverted to one of those £10/minute line thingies.....

Lonely Kia Sportage waiting for a push
Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:56 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Surprised that a man of your worldly experience would fall for something like that, Roger.

Ban pre-shredded Cheese and make Britain grate again.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:17 pm

There's a first time for everything Alan. Had it been my old laptop I would have just shut the lid but because I've been sweating over a new tablet that has been misbehaving since it arrived last weekend and we were in negotiations with the seller based in the USA, I was taken in.

It's a good job we're poor and therefore told them where to get off when they started talking serious money.

Randa

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:16 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Oh !

Yes looks like you'ved been scammed

I sometimes use a very old PC running XP with NO anti virus on it. I sometimes get what appears the same message from Microsoft, blocking the computer and offering an 0800 number to 'talk you through' procedures to rectify the problem

I just ignore and use 'control/Alt/Delete' which clears it - always seems to work - but don't know how you can do this on a tablet ?

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:30 pm

That's interesting. My old notebook runs with XP and we have the same McAfee on all our machines. Never had the problem on my notebook so how did the buggers get through my security?

Randa

Last edited Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:14 pm
by hob (deleted)

I bought a samsung tablet, never could get on with it

The code for your scam will be loaded with the facebook web page ...... directly into your web browser, unless your tablet has live web browser protection there is no way to stop that happening ......... your laptop probably has pop up protection where your tablet does not.

Problem with tablets is the lack of onboard storage (equivalent of a hard drive on a computer) so everything needs to be severely cut down to fit ................
including antivirus programs

Is that why they call them apps instead of applications ??

Seriously though,

I'm sure many people think tablets are the bee's whatsits but not for me I get the feeling that most apps update so often because the app makers get paid by the sim providers to ramp up downloads to use up mobile allowances .......such is the massive income from pay as you go on mobile phones and sim powered tablets ......... programs on my laptop and base unit do not update anywhere near as frequently as they do on the tablet ............. not a problem for me as It updates wirelesly from my home unmetered broadband........... I do note however that there is no way to turn off updates on my tablet.

Something to consider when touring with a tablet and paying for wifi on a campsite or having a tablet with a pay as you go sim in it.

I still lug my laptop with me when touring and will continue to do so for the forseeable future.

As for the tablet it may see a new lease of life as I downloaded a program (app) to allow me do do time lapse photography (something my camera's won't do) and just bought a tripod holder for the tablet. might try time lapse awning building this year

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:15 am

I thought ALL awning building was time lapse

Randa

Last edited Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:54 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: hob wrote in post #7

As for the tablet it may see a new lease of life as I downloaded a program (app) to allow me do do time lapse photography (something my camera's won't do) and just bought a tripod holder for the tablet.

Been having a play, give us a wave Gladly

click link below

http://vid195.photobucket.com/albums/z279/hobspics/VID_20170128_201222_zpslhehqcyr.mp4

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
campnsnooze, Ribski, mr_underhill, , Tomored and Magpie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:04 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

Love it Nev, he's such a friendly little chap.

Triton 420GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:48 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

sorry to hear, techy headaches
its so easy to be cyber scammed, got to keep anti virus and security definitions updated apparently there are thousands of gremlins on the attack.
heard on grape vine folk have had photo taken and told various stuff demanding monies.. to release computer or will ring police
might be a good idea to scan for mal ware or malicious software asap
specially if one is a key logger and all your passwords are borrowed,

hope get sorted soon
P

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1