Bike Rack tilt

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:18 pm
by Mikeje99 (deleted)

Hi

I'm looking to get a bike rack for two bikes and like the look of the Thule rack that tilts forward. Does anyone know if this is easy to fit yourself to a Troll 530?

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/caravans...nal-extras.html

Scroll up

RE: Bike Rack tilt

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:12 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

By enlarging the brochure image Mike, it would appear that we are not looking at a traditional ball hitch bike rack but one of these:-

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/gb/motorhome...van%20smart%202

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:46 pm
by hob (deleted)

Lots of info if you put "bike rack" in the search facility above.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm
by Mikeje99 (deleted)

Hi Randa

That looks like the kind I'm after.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:50 pm
by Mikeje99 (deleted)

Hi Hob

I did go through the results I found using search before I posted but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Scroll up

Thule caravan Smart

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:13 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Mike.
Here are the fitting instructions for the Thule Caravan Smart Fitting Instructions

The biggest problem to overcome as I see it is that the Eriba doesn't have an "A" frame. Therefore I presume a specially made cross bar would need to be fitted to the 'Pole" towing bar before fitting the rack?

Anyone else have any ideas?

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 pm | Scroll up

RE: Thule caravan Smart

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:05 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I think that fitting a bike rack to the front of an Eriba requires a degree of compromise and that the options available to owners of 'ordinary' caravans are not necessarily available to us.

I still think that this is the simplest, cheapest and best solution to the problem.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

felix likes this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:54 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Mikeje99 wrote in post #1
Hi

I'm looking to get a bike rack for two bikes and like the look of the Thule rack that tilts forward. Does anyone know if this is easy to fit yourself to a Troll 530?

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/caravans...nal-extras.html

I noticed an Eriba at our local Caravan show that had one of those racks fitted as shown in your link. No idea what it costs directly from Hymer or what the later fitting costs are but it did look a nice and neat piece of kit. Were I in the market for a front end bike rack I would seriously consider this option but we choose to rent bikes at our destination so never explored the Hymer option any further.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I beleve the cost is £320.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a new shiny 430
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:57 pm
by Mikeje99 (deleted)

Thanks everyone. I've decided it's going to be easier and more secure to keep the bikes in the car.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 23, 2020 7:30 pm
by cruickie | 97 Posts

Hello Mike,
I've just fitted a Thule Smart Bike Rack to my Triton, I should have taken pictures to show how I did it.
I didn't have instructions.
Firstly may I add that as well as the Bike Rack, you will require the under section which comes in two parts and it's heavy.
The under section: Place this the correct way up on the ground beneath the area that it will be attached to the drawbar. The under section comes in two parts and are bolted together.
Undo the two retaining bolts, place them in a safe place near to hand. On the upper side is a plate, remove the plate and place it in position above the drawbar. To do this you will have to lift the drawbar cover very gently by putting a little pressure from the underside with the jack.
Once the plate is in position check it and offer one side of the under section, making sure that you move it as far forward as it will go, adjust the plate as required. Fit the four bolts facing down, bit fiddle. Offer one side of the under section and attach to the plate, leave loose at this stage. Do the same with the other half and check to make sure that all is lined up. Place the two bolts back in the under section bringing the two sections together. Once you are happy tighten all bolts.
That's all the hard work done! The two sections are now in place fitted around the drawbar.
Drill from the underside up through the ready made bolt holes(6mm) in the under section which should now be sitting firmly in place.
Once you've drilled out the holes it's time to bolt the Bike Rack in place.

Dutch prices for the Bike Rack: €395.00 from Hymer /Eriba or €595.00 including fitting from our local dealer. IMG_20190701_124635.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Tools, I used a socket set plus a couple of spanners and the drill. I worked alone and found that the small trolly jack was very handy.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:00 am
by Jayrich (deleted)

Hi ,
You mention an under section required, where did you get it?

Last edited Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:38 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2