Washroom door

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:52 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

I had an accident with the washroom door in that upon returning home after first picking up van 2007 Troll only to find the door lying on the floor (as you do)

Off to that well known DIY store to buy some larger screws, superglue and box of matches (got them from local shop)

removed hinges from door/wall and super glued matches into the holes left to dry

Then oops knocked over the bottle of glue which spilled down inside of door. Quickly wiped it up and left the door until next day to refit.

Trimmed matches flush with door / trim and rehung door with new screws. job done.

However noticed the spilt glue had tracked around the front of the door and had set . Need a plan to remove the glue mark either by rubbing down or using a solvent ? Danger is making the situation worse as the veneer if you can call it that is paper thin I believe which would require the door to be repainted then I have to match the paint to the existing wood colour.

All suggestions gratefully received

Mike

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:42 pm | Scroll up

RE: Washroom door

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:09 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Ohmygosh!!!!!

Every DIYers nightmare, my sympathies.

Are the '07 doors panelled or one piece?

If panelled you have to watch out as slight pressure can unpop the panel from the frame and then you'll have to glue that too. I know because I inadvertently stuck my rear through a panel once. They are held in place by tiny pins which can rust (mine was an '05, two years ago so same age as yours) and a very, very slim sliver (not slither) of glue.

I recall someone in the other place saying they used tea to stain the wood the correct matching colour, but that was for a newly made item.

Washroom doors are identical for all the models for each year, although some are handed, so a breaker might be a source for a total replacement and an '08 or '06 might match too.

A phone call to AL to see what you're looking at for a new one.

Contact a local french polisher (it was made in Cernay after all), they like a challenge.

Good luck

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:26 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #1
All suggestions gratefully received
Google 'super glue remover'.

Last edited Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:28 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:49 pm
by Crow (deleted)

Don't touch it!, the foil veneerwill come off and make a worse mess.
If the panel will come out, just reverse it so the mark is on the inside
(or order a new panel from hymer)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:08 pm

The panel is one piece as it has the curved doors to the wardrobe and the Washroom. The glue run does not show up in certain light but trouble once you know its there .............

I believe a replacement would be in the order of £400.00 think someone inquired from other place to Jandi

>Contact a local french polisher (it was made in Cernay after all), they like a challenge.

Might see if french polisher can suggest a remedy but the foil veneer might be too thin. Acetone will remove super glue but will probably remove veneer as well

Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:11 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:17 pm
by Crow (deleted)

Take it from me that foil is thin! live with it.
Or
contact the glue manufacturer and ask advice.

Last edited Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:18 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Quote: Crow wrote in post #6
Take it from me that foil is thin! live with it.
Or
contact the glue manufacturer and ask advice.

I think you are right as it is hardly noticeable. In previous van there was a screw that was used to secure the pelmet above the window opposite to where I usually sat . The point of it made a small bulge in the surface of the veneer almost but not quite breaking through.

It was amazing that once I had noticed it I would sub consciously find myself glancing at it yet to anyone else they would not know it was there

Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:52 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

o my goodness
If the problem really annoys and you cannot live with it
what about looking for a caravan breaker,***

I think the swifts doors were curvy at one point even the same colour, you would have to reduce the length or alter the roof lol

a dealer may be able to supply new vinyl or take a photo and wrap with the plastic stuff they put on vehicles
amazing how they can do that..

***I may be wrong but didn't Humamby caravans building near Scarborough turn into a caravan breaker??

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #5
Might see if french polisher can suggest a remedy but the foil veneer might be too thin. Acetone will remove super glue but will probably remove veneer as well
So why not try a bit of acetone somewhere inconspicuous first to see what it does do to the veneer?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Quote: Crow wrote in post #6
...live with it.
You're a hard man, Rodders. Hard and unfeeling.

I've decided to eat your Christmas present myself because I don't think a hard and unfeeling man like you would appreciate it.

That's what happens, you see.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:53 pm
by Skipper (deleted)

Glue solvent is the way to go but will still show a slight mark. If you can't live with that your dealer should be able to mask the stain with the Hymers wax paint kit. If your door persists in falling off try fitting extra hinges.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:50 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

'Course you could always Dulux the whole inside

I remember seeing a white painted interior Eriba for sale a year or so back

Since Mrs SDA pointed out the the top drawer handle (of three) on our central cabinet is 1cm out of line with the other two I notice it all the time. I'm waiting for the dealer to forward a replacement piece so I can fit in in line.

P8010814.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12510 topics and 105561 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0