Advice requested re strip around door

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 pm
by wildermot (deleted)

Hi Everyone, the strip around the door of my Troll is coming off. It's a 1999 model so suppose it has just got a bit tired. Any suggestions about getting another loop. it's one continuous loop so not sure if that presents any problems in terms of getting a replacement. Better still can I re-secure it? I've just tucked it back in for now but expect it to pop out.

Some pictures attached.IMG_6702.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) IMG_6703.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_6704.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

RE: Advice requested re strip around door

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

I refixed some of the white plastic trim that runs in the aluminium extrusion on my 2006 Familia. The lower trim around the bottom front of the van was hanging out. I did a temp fix with gaffer tape whilst on holiday then did a permanent fix when home, bedding it in of a "roofersmate" mastic from Screwfix. I have use this on several occasions at it is flexible, gap filling, sticky and even works on damp surfaces. Also it is cheap.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:10 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I'm pretty sure the door trim isn't actually a loop. There is a 'join' in it somewhere. eBay will have the replacement Herzim strip by the metre.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:25 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Are you talking about the 11cm Herzim strip.I have just ordered enough to redo the whole of my Troll 530GT from Jandi, they sell it at .50p/m
Mine seems to come adrift when it gets very hot, the strip gets very soft and stretchy, it's age I presume!!

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:34 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: highmiler wrote in post #4
Are you talking about the 11cm Herzim strip.I have just ordered enough to redo the whole of my Troll 530GT from Jandi, they sell it at .50p/m
Mine seems to come adrift when it gets very hot, the strip gets very soft and stretchy, it's age I presume!!
Jandi really are the mutt's nuts.

The trim they sell is the original equipment stuff, and it's much easier to put in than Herzim (which is similar, but not what's fitted at the factory).

Not only that, but at 50p a metre their trim is less than a third of what Automotive Leisure charge.

yy-R56kh

highmiler likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 pm
by wildermot (deleted)

Hi Everyone, thanks for your replies/advice. My next question is what size Herzin strip do I need to use? It looks a lot thinner than the strip (yellow on my 1999 model) that goes around the middle of the van. Suggestions appreciated. Peter

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:07 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: wildermot wrote in post #6
Hi Everyone, thanks for your replies/advice. My next question is what size Herzin strip do I need to use? It looks a lot thinner than the strip (yellow on my 1999 model) that goes around the middle of the van. Suggestions appreciated. Peter
Call Jandi, tell them what you're after and give them your van's serial number.

They'll sort you out.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:52 pm
by wildermot (deleted)

Thanks for that. Best wishes, Peter

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:11 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

When you ring Jandi, get yourself seated with a cup of tea.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:38 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Hi Wildermot,

I have just refitted the narrow herzim strip around the bottom of my Troll, got mine from Jandi.Today has rained on and off all day so I am going to wait until a fine day before I attempt to do the strip around the door.I know the door lifts off, and it's a two person job to put it back.I then presume that I shall remove the lower hinge pin in order to get the strip in behind. Has anyone else done this? Is this where the join is?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:35 am
by bradbos | 31 Posts

Do you have to take the door off to do this job?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:02 pm
by Richard | 15 Posts

No need to remove the door. Fitting a new strip is a simple, albeit fiddly, job. It’s not a loop. Herzim strip is widely available from eBay and caravan shops but has a slightly thicker and stiffer profile than the original Eriba strip which makes it a little more awkward. Immersing it in hot water makes it more pliable to start off, but it cools rapidly. A spray with soapy water eases the fitting. A special “car glass filler strip tool” (eBay £12) simplifies the task but a very blunt screwdriver or (preferably) a small plastic spatula will do, but be very careful as your hand is certain to slip at some point and that aluminium door skin is extraordinarily easy to scratch!

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:17 pm
by bradbos | 31 Posts

I’m going to do this job at the weekend. The door hinge has 3 bolts. Two go along the 11 mm slot that the strip is inset into. So it seems I have to remove these bolts so I can remove the old strip and fit the new . One hinge at a time. Has anyone else come across this operation?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:31 am
by GCL | 122 Posts

Hello, I have to do the same job too. I have two questions. The first: after taking the door off its hinges, is it mandatory to remove the hinges from the wall? The second: what size is the strip? I found 11mm but it is too small and moves in the canal. I tried with a 15mm size but it swells a lot in the center. Do you know if there are intermediate measures?

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:12 am
by dinky | 211 Posts

according t 10 year blog
is your eriba same body style they changed height of door not sure of groove may need to consider that
copy x pasted
next was to find a supplier of Herzim strip, ordered some from a leisure shop 12mm product ref was 124707 and description Herzim strip 110, silver ( also refered to as Hermiz in this blog)

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/carava...nium-extrusions-

product ref 263414 12mm in silver grey, cream, blue, maroon colours

the hinge bolts do come out to fit the strip behind, can hide the join behind the hinge

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:25 am | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105704 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4