RE: Tyre Wear

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:45 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.613 Posts

It could be the high PSI and the high mileage is the main cause for the wear. Unlike a car all the weight is on two wheels rather than four. This Caravan club thread on tyres is very informative

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and...res-and-wheels/

Some pointers on the website

Check the tread wear regularly – the legal minimum is 1.6mm across the central three quarters of the tread breadth around the entire circumference of the tyre. Major tread wear during the normal life of the tyre may indicate a more serious problem, such as incorrect loading, wrong inflation pressure or even poor wheel alignment. Tyres which are operated in an overloaded condition may also show uneven wear across the width of the tread. Even a small variation in wear across the width (as little as 1mm according to tyre industry sources) is a possible indication of overloading.
If your tyres need a high inflation pressure (50psi 3.4 bar or more), you should check regularly for signs of deterioration from three years old and should not be used when they reach five years.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I believe underinflation has something to do with it. I know that it would normally affect both sides of the tread but coupled with misalignment your wear pattern is not unusual. 3 bar is not high for a Troll.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Williebraveheart wrote in post #17
I believe underinflation has something to do with it. I know that it would normally affect both sides of the tread but coupled with misalignment your wear pattern is not unusual. 3 bar is not high for a Troll.

Stewart

We inflate to 3.35 bar for our troll 540.

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Williebraveheart likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am
by Randa france | 12.920 Posts

Quote: Williebraveheart wrote in post #17
I believe underinflation has something to do with it. I know that it would normally affect both sides of the tread but coupled with misalignment your wear pattern is not unusual. 3 bar is not high for a Troll.Stewart

The problem is getting tyres with a high PSI rating.
The Troll is only 1000kg fully laden (13" x 4 stud wheels) and 3 bar is a recent Hymer recommendation. The tyres themselves are not rated to take much higher inflation.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:52 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #7

I'm replacing the tyre on Thursday so I'll ask them to take a look. I'm going to have to take both road wheels down aren't I as I don't want a new tyre fitted to a duff wheel. As all the wheels were balanced the last time I changed all three' wouldn't it have shown up then?

Randa

Any luck?

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Any luck? Yes and no.

Took both the road wheels down to our local tyre depot. Town Tyres of Swansea (late of Neath as well) has given me great Service for as long as I can remember.

The boss put the suspect wheel onto the balancing spindle and hand rotated it, looking for and measuring any throw. The wheel looks fine. As a caravan owner himself, he was a bit mystified as to the exact cause for the wear particularly as it has happened on each side of the van in turn.

It would appear that the tyre size I'm using is becoming more difficult to find so I decided to mark the wheel and run it with a new tyre and see how it goes for the next two years, at which time I'll be ready for a complete new set and probably a new size.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:49 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
It would appear that the tyre size I'm using is becoming more difficult to find

Thats why I opted for light commercial tyres on mine much easier to get good load ratings and higher pressure ratings I don't deal in bar so got a bit lost by that I run mine at 50 psi ............ at least when there's not a dirty great wood screw in the tread.

seriously though the stiffer sidewalls may cure your problem I never do enough miles to wear mine out.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Yes but as Mr Le Pew said many moons ago, the flexibility of the tyre wall of a caravan is part of the otherwise crude suspension.

What was interesting is that it was suggested that I could increase the 70 to, say 80 and reduce the 185 a tad thus reducing a small amount of sideways roll on the tread. Presumably, a 175 x 80 is a more common size. I've not looked into it any further though. I'll leave it to them when the time arises.

Randa

Last edited Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:02 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:06 pm
by hob (deleted)

I vaguely remember when I tried to get the ones in the Eriba manual it was pretty much impossible to get anything rated above 530 Kg per tyre and with a limit of 1000Kg across the axle I thought that was too close for comfort.

The van came in from Holland with light commercial tyres fitted so presumably the previous owner felt the same ........ the ones I have now are recommended for both light commercial and caravan use and I have done about 1000 or so miles so far and nothing has dropped of yet

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:09 pm
by hob (deleted)

Just looked and I have 165 R 13 C fitted on mine spring time last year (except the one I had to replace)

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:34 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.723 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #21
The boss put the suspect wheel onto the balancing spindle and hand rotated it, looking for and measuring any throw. The wheel looks fine. As a caravan owner himself, he was a bit mystified as to the exact cause for the wear particularly as it has happened on each side of the van in turn.
How very peculiar.

I must admit I was half hoping that the wheel had a sodding great buckle in it, if only to give us all a bit of closure.

I have to say I've found this whole business very upsetting.

Very upsetting.

You'll have to excuse me. I seem to have something in my eye.

yy-R56kh
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:43 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #14
Quote: hob wrote in post #13
I can bring you one to the meet if you like.
ff you've got a spare, that would be grand.

Cheers, Nev. I appreciate it.

not a problem when I was restoring old engines I bought a box full various sizes and used about 3 ............... if anyone else wants one I will bring the box with me.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.723 Posts

Quote: hob wrote in post #27
...if anyone else wants one I will bring the box with me.
Aww, shucks. Now you've gone and spoiled it.

I thought you were bringing one just for me

yy-R56kh

Last edited Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:50 pm
by hob (deleted)

Removes lollypop........ who loves you baby

Forum moderator
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12556 topics and 105899 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2