Help Hitch damper removal on 1998 Pan

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:35 am
by peebee (deleted)

i need to replace the damper on the towing hitch, so i have removed the tow ball hitch and the one rear bolt that holds the damper, so the unit is now free but it will not pull out as it has a T type end, it will move back and forwards but not come out. What more do i need to remove and how.

Scroll up

RE: Help Hitch damper removal on 1998 Pan

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:59 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

When you removed the hitch did you find a drawtube spacer located inside the tube where the front horizontal hitch bolt locates?

This is fitted to prevent the drawtube deforming when the bolt is tightened, and if the drawtube is deformed, ie narrower in the horizontal plane, then you'll struggle to get the damper out.

If that is the problem then if you turn the front T section of the damper 90 deg so it's vertical it should come out quite easily.

Last edited Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:02 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:02 am
by peebee (deleted)

Thanks for the reply but the problem was at the far end of the damper.
I have now removed the complete unit , undone the hand brake unit and the six small bolts on the side of main rail and then removed the side shaft complete, and the damper just comes out.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:11 am
by KlaireandRob (deleted)

Hi I am have the same issue as I cannot remove the tow hitch. Any advice would be great! It’s an Eriba Familia 1979.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2