Puck (old one!) insurance

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:49 pm
by Julesx (deleted)

A quick insurance question if you don't mind! Apologies for the newbie questions!

I have just purchased a 1965 ish Puck. Can anyone give me an idea about insurance please.

I guess I need theft cover and then also cover for road use whilst being towed.

Are they two separate policies or once informed will the car insurance company cover me for both van and car should I be involved in a collision?

Also, what happens should my car breakdown - how is the Puck covered for recovery purposes on insurance?

Many thanks

Scroll up

RE: Puck (old one!) insurance

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:40 pm
by Pudelwagen (deleted)

In most cases, your car insurance will cover you for liability when towing (but do check it!) but it won't cover for loss or damage to the caravan in an incident. You will need separate cover for that. As far as breakdown cover is concerned, you will need to check with your exising provider. Caravan club do a dual recovery plan which will take you to your holiday destination and back if you break down.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:18 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

We are with the C&CC RAC Arrival for breakdown etc, inc car and van and on continent
Saga is good for van insurance, we find

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:48 am
by Julesx (deleted)

Thanks! I will tow my Puck with a 1971 VW camper van and at first glance of the insurance documents it seems, as you say, that the policy does cover me for third party risks in the event of a collision.

So it seems that I need to purchase some kind of cover for theft and then check for breakdown cover.

I do like the idea of getting one policy that would cover me for recovery of both the VW & the Puck for UK and European trips.

I was chatting to owners of a large motorhome whilst holidaying in France last year (on a site recommended by good folks on this very forum as it happens!!). Their motor home suffered a gear box failure at the beginning of a 6 week vacation touring different sites. They broke down on the first night but one phone was all that was required to have the van taken several hundred miles to their first campsite, alternative accommodation arranged, van taken away, repaired at their cost and then returned so they could continue as planned. Good insurance I reckon!! I think it was a caravan club recommended policy??

Any other recommendations?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:11 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Julesx wrote in post #4

I was chatting to owners of a large motorhome whilst holidaying in France last year (on a site recommended by good folks on this very forum as it happens!!). Their motor home suffered a gear box failure at the beginning of a 6 week vacation touring different sites. They broke down on the first night but one phone was all that was required to have the van taken several hundred miles to their first campsite, alternative accommodation arranged, van taken away, repaired at their cost and then returned so they could continue as planned. Good insurance I reckon!! I think it was a caravan club recommended policy??

Any other recommendations?
If it was the Caravan Club then they where with Red Pennant insurance and I can vouch for them. I have had to use them twice, ( in about forty odd years,) and as you say they were marvelous. First time in France, water pump broke, one phone call and the repairer was there within half an hour, we were away again by 3.30 next day. Second time in Spain engine sized up, again one phone call and all the hard stuff was taken out of my hands for the next ten days, and I was kept informed of the progress of the work, help was also given to me me to pay the bill, over £3000. I would never go away without them.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one

Last edited Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:48 pm
by Julesx (deleted)

Quote: Tomored wrote in post #5
Quote: Julesx wrote in post #4

If it was the Caravan Club then they where with Red Pennant insurance and I can vouch for them. I have had to use them twice, ( in about forty odd years,) and as you say they were marvelous. First time in France, water pump broke, one phone call and the repairer was there within half an hour, we were away again by 3.30 next day. Second time in Spain engine sized up, again one phone call and all the hard stuff was taken out of my hands for the next ten days, and I was kept informed of the progress of the work, help was also given to me me to pay the bill, over £3000. I would never go away without them.

Yes, I think it was Red Pennant. Nice to hear another good recommendation! I don't particularly want to join the Caravan Club. Nothing against them in any way, but I am already a member of so many clubs I could do with out, yet another subscription! Having said that if it provides the cover that I need it could be the way forward.
Thanks.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:12 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

For breakdown cover I use the caravan club Mayday I also use the caravan club insurance.

Mayday breakdown benefits
Dual recovery
If you break down on your way to a site and your car can’t be fixed they will take you to your holiday destination and back home again

No size, weight or vehicle age restrictions

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:04 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #7
Dual recovery
If you break down on your way to a site and your car can’t be fixed they will take you to your holiday destination and back home again
I'd be intrigued to know if anyone on here has ever taken that up.

Or what its take-up rate is more widely, for that matter.

If our car broke down on the way to a campsite somewhere, the last thing I think I'd want to do is to spend a week with a busted car and no means of getting around, never mind the ignominy of turning up at the site on the back of a flatbed truck and being carted off the same way afterwards.

I'd want to get home and get it fixed, and the prospect of spending hours sitting in a cab smelling of fags and Trucker's Tizer making small talk to a Mayday man - no matter how nice he is - doesn't really appeal to me that much.

And besides, what if the Mayday man doesn't like your choice of campsite? Not only would you have to make room for him round the table at breakfast every day, you'd have to put up with him grumbling about spending a week in The Dales when he'd rather have gone to the seaside.

RF18-668/2

Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:34 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:01 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #8
Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #7
Dual recovery
I'd be intrigued to know if anyone on here has ever taken that up.
Or what its take-up rate is more widely, for that matter.
If our car broke down on the way to a campsite somewhere, the last thing I think I'd want to do is to spend a week with a busted car and no means of getting around, never mind the ignominy of turning up at the site on the back of a flatbed truck and being carted off the same way afterwards.
I'd want to get home and get it fixed, and the prospect of spending hours sitting in a cab smelling of fags and Trucker's Tizer making small talk to a Mayday man - no matter how nice he is - doesn't really appeal to me that much.
And besides, what if the Mayday man doesn't like your choice of campsite? Not only would you have to make room for him round the table at breakfast every day, you'd have to put up with him grumbling about spending a week in The Dales when he'd rather have gone to the seaside.

I have used Mayday for both of the statements, my Eriba brakes were faulty and I only noticed when I got to site as they were red hot, I called Mayday out but cars are their forte rather than caravans and they don't carry one shot nuts. They told me that if couldn't get it fixed by the end of my holidays they would put my van on the back of a flat bed and take me home. I managed to get a mobile caravan engineer out who fixed them.
The no age limit served me well when my 45 year old MGB broke down and they came out and dragged me home....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:47 pm
by Julesx (deleted)

I have searched and thought about the various offers from all of the breakdown providers and have chosen this as a starter this year - As with all insurance policies, one can never be sure how good the cover is until claim time. Let's hope none of need to use them!

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #3
We are with the C&CC RAC Arrival for breakdown etc, inc car and van and on continent
Saga is good for van insurance, we find

Just got to get some theft cover now.

Thanks for all of your replies.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 61 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2