Gas consumption

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:47 am
by eribaista (deleted)

I suspect there may be too many variable in my query for anyone to be able to offer any advice but ------
We have a 9 month old 430GT and used it last weekend on a pitch without electrical hook-up. It is the first time we have used gas to run the fridge (Domestic RM5330) and hot water boiler (Truma BG10). We activated both around midday on Friday, with the fridge on a medium setting and the boiler on the lower setting and left them running. We used very little hot water - no showers. When sitting outside the caravan I noticed that the fridge motor (or fan?) seemed to be running constantly. A full 6KG bottle of Propane had emptied by Sunday evening - approx 56 hours. Does this seem excessive?

Any advice or observations would be very much appreciated.

Richard

Richard

VW Tiguan Eriba Touring 430GT
Scroll up

RE: Gas consumption

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:13 pm
by hob (deleted)

I have an 06 Triton 430 and when it arrived from Holland I put in a full 6 Kg propane cylinder and since then done 2 x 48 hr off grid weekends and one whole week with the fridge on gas however I have no water heater and rarely use it for cooking or heating
Done 4 trips this year without ever turning the cylinder on yet

So 11 x days running the fridge and rare occasional other use means I still have that 6 Kg cylinder after 4 years.

Conclusion is either your water heater uses a lot of gas or the fridge does, I remember Randa saying his fridge used a lot of gas when his 240 volt fridge element failed while away on one of his European epic trips.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:19 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

We have a water heater (but only electric). Don't usually go off grid but wonder if you can heat water using the battery?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:29 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Magpie, no chance of running an electric heater off a battery I'm afraid.

My Dometic 4230 in my 2007 Triton uses 240g gas in 24 hours = 24 days from 6kg propane. (according to specification)
In my real world, I get between 10 and 12 days completely off grid using fridge, cooking and heating water for washing.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:54 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I've just checked the specifications of both appliances and discovered that the fridge uses 18.3g/hr and the boiler 120g/hr when on gas.

A 6000g cylinder would therefore be emptied if both were left running constantly in 6000/138.3 hr = 43.38hr or a bit less than two days.

The above assumes constant running at a constant rate of gas consumption which is unlikely if both units are thermostatically controlled.

You mention the fridge motor or fan running. This suggests that you have the optional Dometic 12v thermostatic cooling fan installed and this is designed to draw hot air from the rear of the fridge enclosure thus making it run more efficiently.

As we always stay at sites with EHU and full facilities, our gas is there purely for emergency backup. We are still carrying the same bottle that we bought in 2011 when we bought the caravan. After all, it makes no sense to use your own gas if site electricity is included in the nightly fee as is the case on ACSI sites.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Magpie likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:59 pm
by hob (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #5
I've just checked the specifications of both appliances and discovered that the fridge uses 18.3g/hr and the boiler 120g/hr when on gas.

Interesting stuff which suggests the water heater uses 6 times as much as the fridge so consider other ways to heat water off grid and the obvious one is only heat as much as you need when you need it.

Another novel way on sunny days was experimented with....... by me........... a couple of years ago and costs nothing at all

Solar hot water

For off grid trips I always carry one of these

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Yellowstone-Camping-Stove-Whistling-Kettle-Hob-Gas-Stainless-Steel-2-Litre-/272756118077?epid=1825184597&hash=item3f8188123d:g:oMMAAOSwhilZYvnE

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator

Last edited Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:16 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #4
Magpie, no chance of running an electric heater off a battery I'm afraid.

I did mean the Truma water heater. But oh well I'll have to manage with a kettle.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:32 am
by eribaista (deleted)

Thank you all for the responses. Cold showers are the order of the day

Richard

VW Tiguan Eriba Touring 430GT
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:43 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Quote: eribaista wrote in post #8
......Cold showers are the order of the day

Is gas consumption THAT exciting??? Who knew????

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105777 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2