SatNav

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:19 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

During our last adventure to France I noticed "daffers" our Garmin SatNav was getting forgetful in her old age. She was having to do a lot of "recalculating" as she would not recognise the road we were travelling on. In some instances she would go wandering off into a nearby field all on her own !
On returning to the UK we decided to retire her as to update her memory would cost the same as a new Daffers (almost)
We have gone for the unit with built in dashcam and lifelong map upgrades. Upon connecting the unit to laptop we were informed that updates were available and that to upload would take about 3 hours.
Hit the GO button on Sunday last and low and behold the update was complete this morning at approx.10:00am.
Longest 3 hours of my life !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

RE: SatNav

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 pm
by hob (deleted)

I keep getting email from tom tom to upgrade to the latest model with world maps and free updates for life (means lifetime of the machine not yours)

The one I have has Europe maps and takes about 2 1\2 hours to update you must have the world maps type.

I looked at their website an it seems to be getting hard to just get a European map one these days and pretty much impossible to just get a UK maps one goodness knows how people with slow connections will get on.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm
by Bryn | 994 Posts

we have the tomtom 25, excellent as we live in France, update it weekly around 10 mins??

cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:18 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Mike no sat-nav is perfect. Users tend to stay loyal to Garmin or TomTom as it is what you get used to. We we are on our second Garmin, choosing many years ago because I liked the ability they offered to use lat-long co-ordinates, very useful in France where a postcode can cover a vast area.
The problem many encounter with "re-calculating" is because they have not updated the software (free) as this tells the sat-nav where the satelite is. This differs to the map updates which are chargeable (unless you have maps for life) and can take hours.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We have a fairly recent TomTom and it always seems to be hell bent on making us leave the main roads and trying to take us down farm tracks..... I can't cure it!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:36 am
by hob (deleted)

Make sure its not set on shortest distance try quickest (in settings)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:55 am

We've tried everything. I find google maps better, or Maps me.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:08 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Hi,
Funny that this post should appear on the site when it has, I collected my Skoda from the garage on Monday post succesful MOT and asked them what it would cost to update my built in satnav, £200 plus VAT was the cool reply. As I was leaving another customer hurried out to catch me and recommended that i look at
Satnavdvd.co.uk.

I first googled Skoda's update satnav site and having entered my VIN number was advised that the update could be done with a disc purchased from my local Skoda garage.

Looked at the satnavdvd.co.uk site and guess what, you can purchase an update for £19.99. They say that you put in the disc and follow the directions.
Plenty of reviews from satisfied customers so I think I shall have a go.

Will update the outcome.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:53 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

The preference for Google Maps: I have not yet grasped just how one can pre plan a particular route on Google. So today I needed to find a somewhat new Industrial Estate. Relatively new Garmin could not find the address so I used Google Maps on my phone. Perfect.. right to the door. Well done Google Maps !Can you somehow pre plan a particular route and somehow 'save' this route and then use it 'live' so to speak ? Presumably your phone ( Ipad) needs to connect to t'interweb en route, so just how reliable will this be in foreign regions ? Expensive connection abroad perhaps ?.. The British Post Code system is excellent if using a Sat Nav in my opinion, we still by and large depend on place / street names here which is a real PITA. We now all have "Eircodes" but they are pretty recent and not listed on most addresses as yet. . . and not available except in the very latest Sat Navs.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:24 am

You download Google maps to use off-line. I have no web connection on my tablet unless I'm in a wifi zone and have no problems. You plan your route and press the button asking you if you want to download.

Last edited Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:24 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:11 am
by Clippie (deleted)

Sat Navs!

Possibly one of the most frustrating things of the modern era! As some of you know Blueyonder and I have earlier this year retired Blueyonder’s much loved T5 for a very nice (in my opinion) Land Rover Discovery Sports, complete with built in Sat Nav (Retail value well over £1000).

Advantage with the Land Rover is that any updates to the Sat Nav will be automatically taken care off by the dealership when it goes in for any service or if requested.

Down side is that it does require a bit of getting use to. Unfortunately Blueyonder treats it with contempt and derision and is contently commenting on our journeys how she does not trust it! She be moans the fact that we no longer have our (her words) reliable £300 Chinese Sat Nav that was in the T5. This was a purchase I got from ‘Flee Bay’ it was a combined double head display radio/entertainment/Sat Nav unit especially designed for the T5. I must admit arrived promptly all the way from China and replacement was a doddle, just slipped into to the opening where the removed radio was. That unit came with free life time updates for the mapping programme. Just had to pop out the SD card and place it in to the laptop to update.

I must admit mistakes have been made in navigation, but I have to be absolutely honest, as the designated navigator (Blueyonder pilots) it is always down to human error! Normally traced back to lake of attention or programming mistake to start with!

Throwing myself on the sword

Clippie

Gofer for 2014 Triton 420 GT & Landrover Discovery Sport.

Eribanut likes this post!
Last edited Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:15 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:31 am
by Bryn | 994 Posts

I am well pleased with my tomtom 25 drive and cheaper than updating my skoda and easier to see

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

Can anyone advise how to punch in E and N coords. My Ventura Snooper only does W and N.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:52 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: Bryn wrote in post #12
I am well pleased with my tomtom 25 drive and cheaper than updating my skoda and easier to see

I am the same, I have built in satnav but I prefer my TomTom..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:17 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: hampshireman wrote in post #13
Can anyone advise how to punch in E and N coords. My Ventura Snooper only does W and N.
Have you seen this thread here?

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0