Does anybody know anything about the FIDLOCK magnets?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Having just seen the new pop top roof insulation shown on Andrew Ditton's interesting blog I have looked on Hymer's Accessory catalogue for details about this insulation which it says is new, there is a good photo and a short explanation of how it works. However this is a reference to it fixing using FIDLOCK magnets. I can find no mention of these elsewhere on the site.

does anyone know of these and have perhaps used them? Even better is there anyone who has bought this piece of kit? As it is priced at 229 Euros, I shouldn't image there would be loads of people. MikeT

Scroll up

RE: Does anybody know anything about the FIDLOCK magnets?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Ribski likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:16 pm

https://www.hymer-original-zubehör....766_600x600.jpg

Thanks Randa
Have you used these on your Erba. I've downloading the connection to the photo Hymer use to illustrate the insulation and it says:

"Magnetic lower parts are clipped onto the canvas material of the pop top roof inside the vehicle and the two part set is then attached to these parts. The shell is thensimply inserted behind the roof edge trim...."

It looks like the magnets are then attached to the metal trim on the edge of the roof. I am reading this correctly
MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Hi Mike. No, I have no experience of the way they are used in the Eriba poptop.

This is the download you refer to :- https://www.xn--hymer-original-zubehr-0e...for-the-touring

Can anyone else help? Because they talk about a sufficient amount of Fidlock magnets I presume they can be retro fitted and possible removed ?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks Randa
My thought was if I could wok out how they were fitted and worked on the pop top I could try to go down PopTop 320s route and try to knock up something that looked similar to the Hymer product. Or even perhaps to price up someone local to make me something similar but at a more reasonable price. Might just be one of my more fanciful ideas. MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:40 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Soulbluesman wrote in post #5
Or even perhaps to price up someone local to make me something similar but at a more reasonable price.
Just over two hundred quid does seem quite expensive, but bearing in mind Hymer are never likely to sell them by the hundred, never mind by the thousand, it probably isn't all that bad for a manufacturer's accessory complete with a guarantee.

If you were to find somebody competent enough to make a one-off of broadly comparable quality, I think it'd cost you quite a bit more. Anyone who makes a living from this kind of speciality work is going to be basing it on at least a hundred notes a day, and I can't see them being able to knock that out in less than two.

I may well be wrong, and you might well be lucky, but I reckon if you are determined to have one, doing it John's (Poptop's) way is probably the best option.

There is a (much) cheaper option of course, and that's to put another blanket on the bed.....

RF18-668/2

Eribanut and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks Pepe
You might be right about the costings for someone else to do it. I think the Hymer one does look very smart but couldn't justify spending over £200 on it.My wife has just retired so I might risk my health and well-being and suggest that she takes up sewing as a hobby.

I like the comment about the blanket but that isn't the problem . In freezing weather I am like toast except for my foically challenged crown and my ears. The addition of a bobble hat just makes me too hot!!!!!!! MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:06 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

To be honest I made mine to keep the early morning sunlight out, I was getting fed up of the dog waking us up for an early morning walk at 5am.. We all now get a nice lie in and it has the added benefit of keeping the heat in..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2