New French Speed Limits

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

I've read something about it on the French Forum but this article was added to the "Gazoline" Group on Facebook today. It will translate into English.

http://www.lepoint.fr/automobile/securit...hp#xtor=CS2-259

Legally, it doesn't affect Eriba pullers with heavy tow vehicles (even VW Tourans fit the bill) as the maximum towing capability of these vehicles as part of a likely train, exceeds 3.5 tonnes. If your tow vehicle is plated as being capable of towing, lets say, a 1700 kg wobbly box and it weighs in at more than 1800 kg, you are only permitted to travel at 80 km/h. It doesn't matter that your Eriba only weights 1200 kg.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

RE: New French Speed Limits

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I was under the impression that a lower towing speed applied for any vehicle where the theoretical max train weight was in excess of 3500kg. Note theoretical and not actual.
So in my case of my 110bhp 2wd Yeti the max permissible train weight is 3450kg and I can tow my 1200kg Triton at the same speed as solo vehicles.
If I had a 170bhp 4wd with a far higher max permissible train weight in excess of 3500kg then I would have to tow at a lower speed, even if towing a Familia or Puck.
Totally illogical.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

That's how I understood it as well

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:01 pm

Yes, that's also as I read it. Our Touran falls into that category yet our Troll is only 1000kg fully laden. Therefore if I elected to tow it with a 1300 Astra then I would be allowed to tow it at 130km/h.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:42 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Speed limits are be coming more complicated in France. Towns can be 50 or 30. Dual carriageway can be 110 or 90.if it's raining, then the limits are reduced by 10kms. You just need to be vigilant.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:39 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Just a thought here, but wouldn't it be far better, especially for newer towers/potential towers, if posters were to quote actual terms/measures used. As an example, I believe the term train weight referred to several times now, is old hat and hasn't appeared in documentation for quite some time now.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:00 am

So, come on then MAM, what's the correct term for train weight?

This is the plate on the lower nearside door post on our VW. Plate.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The first figure is the vehicle weight. 2260kg.
The second figure is the maximum permissible combined weight of the vehicle and trailer. 3760kg. (over 3500kg )

So the maximum trailer weight my VW can tow is 1500kg and it's the plate that Le Flic is interested in. They don't give a hoot if you've only got a 500kg sheep trailer on the back.

Randa

Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:21 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:36 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #7
So, come on then MAM, what's the correct term for train weight?

This is the plate on the lower nearside door post on our VW.

The first figure is the vehicle weight. 2260kg.
The second figure is the maximum permissible combined weight of the vehicle and trailer. 3760kg. (over 3500kg )

So the maximum trailer weight my VW can tow is 1500kg and it's the plate that Le Flic is interested in. They don't give a hoot if you've only got a 500kg sheep trailer on the back.

Randa
I think the first figure is the maximum permissible vehicle weight (fully loaded) rather than the vehicle weight per se. I reckon a Touran weighs about 1600kg. At least that's what the one I weighed this morning was.

Can I ask another question?

I looked at - and translated - that article you linked to, but I couldn't see any references to vehicle weights at all. All I could see was a thing about the intention to lower the speed limit for what we would call 'A' roads, i.e. roads with no central barrier, and something about D&D.

Where is the towing weights bit?

And I think it should be train weight too. It has a nice 1950s ring to it.

Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:37 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:00 am

Yes, thanks Pete. I should have said the gross weight for the Touran

The New French Speed Limits for non-dual carriageways affects everybody. Bikes, solo cars, cars towing a trailer and lorries. The only reason I mentioned the current French 3500km towing law is because a lot of us are already (officially) restricted to 80km/h (50mph) max on all French roads including motorways.

There is a blanket 50 mph for all caravan pullers in Germany unless your van has been submitted to, and passed the German equivalent of an MOT which allows you to sport a 100km/h sticker.

Most other European countries also have a 50mph speed limit for caravans.

What is stupid is that HGVs are allowed to travel at more or less the UK speed limits (is it 58mph?) so we just slot into a line of lorries and gauge our speed on their progress. There's normally far more space between lorries on the Continent anyway and, although we are officially breaking the speed limit, it makes everyone happy. Good MPG too

Randa

Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:02 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:13 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #9
Yes, thanks Pete. I should have said the gross weight for the Touran

The New French Speed Limits for non-dual carriageways affects everybody. Bikes, solo cars, cars towing a trailer and lorries. The only reason I mentioned the current French 3500km towing law is because a lot of us are already (officially) restricted to 80km/h (50mph) max on all French roads including motorways.

There is a blanket 50 mph for all caravan pullers in Germany unless your van has been submitted to, and passed the German equivalent of an MOT which allows you to sport a 100km/h sticker.

Most other European countries also have a 50mph speed limit for caravans.

What is stupid is that HGVs are allowed to travel at more or less the UK speed limits (is it 58mph?) so we just slot into a line of lorries and gauge our speed on their progress. There's normally far more space between lorries on the Continent anyway and, although we are officially breaking the speed limit, it makes everyone happy. Good MPG too

Randa

... is the correct answer.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:35 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #9

This is not entirely accurate, Roger, as foreign plated vehicles can also apply (online or in person) for and receive the 100km/h sticker. The requirements for this sticker are:-

(a) the towing vehicle must be fitted with ABS (pretty much standard nowadays anyway).
(b) the trailer (caravan) is suitable for a maximum speed of 100km/h (I'm guess that most all modern Eriba caravans are).
(c) the trailer (caravan) tyres are rated for Temp 120 and have at least speed index L.
(d) the trailer (caravan) tyres are no more than 6 years old.
(e) the trailer (caravan) is equipped with a suitable coupling with stabilising device or suitable dynamic stability system or the towing vehicle is equipped with a a suitable dynamic stability ststem for towing.

As regards France - it is also a requirement I believe for French registered caravans to display an 80km/h sticker where this applies to the car+caravan combination in respect to weights. This requirement does not extend to foreign registered vehicles but isn't always clearly understood by the local police and is, therefore, a recommendation.

As regards your Touran, Roger - I agree with an earlier comment in that your empty weight (mass) is in the order of 1590kg whilst the maximum permissable mass is as shown at 2260kg. The 1 and 2 figures relate to maximum axle weights whilst the 3760kg figure refers to the maximum vehicle + trailer combination.

Here's a useful guide to speed limits - http://www.go-motorhoming.co.uk/European...-caravans.shtml

Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Zitat
Quote Deeps :-This is not entirely accurate, Roger, as foreign plated vehicles can also apply (online or in person) for and receive the 100km/h sticker.

Well that's interesting Alan. I knew foriegn vehicles could get a 100 sticker but I though they had to visit a testing station upon arrival in Germany. It seems a bit strange to allow us to apply on line as they have to take our word that the tyres, brakes and towing gear is all in order.

Is it still the case that older vans cannot apply? A few years ago we were speaking to a young German family with an oldish van and they said that they could no longer get it tested because of its age. I seem to remember it was about 15 to 20 years old.

As for us, we're happy to tour Germany at 50 mph as it's quite easy to get around at that speed and there are lots of interesting places to stop over at.

Randa

Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:25 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Sorry, Roger, looks as though I gave you a bum steer there. Having telephoned my local TÜV station I am informed that an appointment can be made online but that the proof of meeting all requirements has to be done visually. I'm sure that I read somewhere a good while back now that this could all be done online as is the case for the Umwelt sticker. Oh well - sorry about that.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:02 pm

What's an Umwelt sticker? I don't have one of those...... Sorry, it's an environmental sticker so yes I do have one. A nice green one with a 4 on it.

Randa

Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:08 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

The green environment (Umwelt) sticker.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:09 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 42 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3