Insurance

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:54 pm
by Bailey2agd (deleted)

Hi
We aren't going to take delivery of our new van until June but we're starting to think about insurance.
So far I've not been able to find any willing to even quote as the van has no alarm or tracker or they won't insure Eriba specifically.
No one has mentioned that we'd need an alarm etc just to get insurance. Any idea where I should be trying? Starting to get a bit concerned.
Cheers
Alan

Scroll up

RE: Insurance

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Alan,
I suspect you will pay more than insuring your car, so sit down with a stiff drink.
The search facility will be your friend, but the following are frequently used by members:-
- Caravan and Motorhome Club - probably the best you can buy, but expensive
- SAGA, if you are old enough - good but premiums can vary
- Lifesure - I've been with them for 3 or 4 years now
- Towergate - worth a look

Others will be along soon to add to the list.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 pm
by bernardm (deleted)

Safeguard have now got their act together regarding wheel clamps and wheel locks and seem very competitive .

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:07 am
by Rfjamieson1 (deleted)

We found Towergate to be the most competitive.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:59 pm
by Biljul | 51 Posts

We are with Lifesure, just renewed earlier this month for £240.

This is for our one year old Triton 420 GT stored on the drive or in the garage. Having a wheel lock and hitch lock fitted is a requirement.

We check other insurance companies but Lifesure usually have the best price. They are a broker and recommend the best policy for you. We have never claimed so I cannot really say how good they are!

They are worth contacting for a quote. Their telephone 01480 402460.

Triton 420GT and Kia Sportage 2.0 Diesel.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:33 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

I have been with Caravan Guard for the past two years and they seemed alright. New insurance due in February so we will wait and see how they pan out.
As usual wheel clamp and hitch lock a necessity.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:20 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

We are with cover4caravans (Alan Blundens), policy with Amtrust, cheapest (and very helpful) for our first time insurance this year. As mentioned wheelclamp and hitchlock required but found that quite standard across most insurers.

Not had to claim so no idea how they handle a claim!

Last edited Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.467 Posts

I'm with Saga. Not the cheapest but we needed to claim this year and they settled very quickly for the full sum insured. Can't say fairer than that.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:29 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I know cost is important but I am more impressed by reports of good personal experiences when claims are made.

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:56 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I posted this a few years ago.
"The father of a 6th form student who I teach runs a recovery vehicle, collecting Red Pennant vehicles from abroad and damaged vehicles in the UK. The mother deals with the yard and paperwork side of the business. [She dealt with many caravan insurance companies] I have been told Towergate are one of the "least helpful" to deal with. Caravanguard, Lifesure, SAGA are all OK, but the Caravan Club stands out as being very good. No surprise when you consider the premiums."

Others will obviously have different experiences, but this may help in making up a short list.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
Randa france and Terryc like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:05 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

hi alan
We went through a similar experience before we were due to pick up our new Eriba Troll in 2016.

We had never owned a van before and I found a lot of the jargon and questions from the insurance companies almost meaningless to me. Fortunately we had someone a few doors away who was a long time caravanner and he talked us through some of it.

In the end we went with the Caravan Club but they were nowhere near the cheapest. I had to be quite assertive with them over a number of issues. My wife and I had completed a Camping & Motorhome Club towing course (which was great) but the C&C Club agent said unless it was one of their courses they wouldn't give any discount. When my response was to forget it all and I would go with someone else the discount was suddenly forthcoming.

It might be unfair but I felt that they were no better to deal with than the mainstream insurance companies. MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:08 pm
by Bailey2agd (deleted)

Quite! But it's not dearer than insuring my car, it's dearer than insuring my 6 cars!!

I tried filling in a few online applications but that was less than fruitful.
One called us back but promptly put the phone down on us when told we didn't have the van yet.

Another has written to us asking us to call back to take advantage of a time limited offer (sounds dodgy) Coast I think.

Local general insurance broker has said it'll be about £500.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:28 am
by swa49 (deleted)

I used Frank Pickles (broker) yesterday. The price was very good and I was dealt with extremely well by Nicola. I have no prior knowledge of this broker, nor of Isle of Man Assurance Limited (the underwriter), but here's a couple of reasons I liked them:

1. They did not load the premium for frequent use. We 'may' use the Eriba 10 months of the year, and maybe two weekends per month. Another insurer (begins with a T) wanted to increase the premium quite a lot, as we were thinking about non-seasonal use.

2. They gave me the option of 90 or 180 days European use. I chose 90 days to keep the premium lower (and 90 days is more than enough for us this year). The other insurer could only offer 365 day cover, which increased the premium by more, for cover that I did not need.

If anyone could say good or bad things about my choice of insurer, please feel free. Constructive, accurate feedback based on experience please!!

Triton 430GT + Golf mk7 2.0TDi DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:07 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Rfjamieson1 wrote in post #4

Ditto

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:05 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Rfjamieson1 wrote in post #4
I found the opposite, so we ditched them.

The thing is, comparing insurance premiums is like comparing apples to particle accelerators. No two of us on here will produce the same results when run through any insurance company's risk algorithm, and that's before taking into account the completely random application of discounts, most of which are thought up on the spot by customer service operatives who couldn't tell an Eriba from an echidna.

You could make a case for saying that recommendations based on service in the event of a claim would be a better indicator of who to choose, but for everyone who has been treated royally by company A there will be someone else who has been treated like something unpleasant you've trodden into the carpet.

I reckon I've become resigned to it being an almost complete lottery and hoping (as we all do, I suppose) never to have to call on their august services.

As long as the company website isn't riddled with shonky spelling and grammatical howlers, and the underwriters are based within a few hundred yards of the Lutine Bell, then I'll give them a whirl if the price seems reasonable.

granddadgrape, and highmiler like this post!
Last edited Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 73 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12543 topics and 105796 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6