Restoring Polycarbonate Headlights

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

The recent thread about polishing caravan windows reminded me that I've been meaning for some time to restore the headlights on Mrs C's ancient Honda Jazz. I did the job this afternoon and as I didn't want to hijack the other thread, I thought I'd start a new one in case anyone else's headlamp lenses have deteriorated and they are wondering what to do to get their car through the new, tougher MOT test.

Jazz01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Here you can see the extent of the problem. The polycarbonate 'lenses' have started to break down due, presumably, to the effects of UV radiation.

The repair process is quite simple and takes an hour or so each side. The kit I used contains everything you need including very fine (2000, 3000 and 5000 grade) wet and dry paper; a foam sanding block; a tube of plastic polish; a spray bottle of sealant and a wad of cleaning cloths together with comprehensive instructions.

You wet sand the lens transversely with 2000 grit, do it again with 3000 grit vertically and finally finish with the very fine 5000 grit transversely before using the polish vertically and then giving the lens a coat of sealant.

Jazz05.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
This is the kit I used. (£10 from Amazon)

Jazz02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Jazz03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
One down, one to go

Jazz04.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
The finished job - like new again.

I'm sure the items in this kit would also be ideal for removing deep scratches from caravan windows.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

, Randa france, Doonhamer and like this post!
Last edited Tue May 22, 2018 5:43 pm | Scroll up

RE: Restoring Polycarbonate Headlights

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 23, 2018 6:01 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

That's a great repair job, I've read that use toothpaste when they start to look cloudy and it can prevent the clouding. I can't vouch for this, though.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 23, 2018 6:31 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

They do say in the instructions to try using only the plastic polish first but the lenses were too far gone for it to have any noticeable effect.

When I started rubbing with the wet and dry I could hear and feel the difference as the rough areas became smooth. All in all, a very satisfying couple of hours work.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 23, 2018 6:59 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #3
All in all, a very satisfying couple of hours work.
Cracking.

Are you going to have a go at the bonnet next?

and Doonhamer like this post!
Last edited Wed May 23, 2018 7:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 24, 2018 5:43 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

My wife's 05 Micra suffers from the same problem - I've used T-Cut and a small pad on the electric drill to clear the crud of collapsed plastic.

That kit looks interesting and I'll give that a go instead - thanks for the info!

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 10 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2