Whale pump inlet expelling water

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 29, 2018 4:00 pm
by johnf (deleted)

I am based in East Sussex and have a 2013 Triton 430 with a hot water system. I have a situation whereby the Whale water pump starts up immediately when connected even if water is not being called for. There is also water flowing from the external side of the inlet socket when in use. I have two water pumps for use with an aquaroll and the problem is happening with both. My assumption is that the problem is with the inlet socket. I have tried adjusting the pressure setting and changing the O rings on the inlet socket but this has made no difference.

I have successfully replaced an inlet socket on an old folding camper but I am much more wary of doing so on a very valuable Eriba. Mobile workshops seem to be booked up until august, so it looks like I will have to go down the DIY route.

I have tried searching this topic on the forum but with no success.

Is there anything else I should be checking or are there any words of advice before I take the plunge?

Thanks in anticipation.

Scroll up

RE: Whale pump inlet expelling water

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 29, 2018 7:13 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

I'm guessing you have the Whale Watermaster inlet housing with integral pressure switch (I've just finished fitting one of these to a Troll 555).

If you've changed the O rings and it's still leaking then it could be cracked and will need replacing.

The blue hose from the pump to the housing can come loose or split at the plug end - it's worthwhile opening both of them to check. Undo the screws securing the two halves of the connector block, cut off the top 15mm of the hose and reassemble.

Last edited Tue May 29, 2018 7:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 30, 2018 8:53 am
by johnf (deleted)

Thanks JohnE. I have opened up the blue hose and trimmed back the end by about 15mm and will try it later.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:47 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I had loads of trouble with a Whale inlet back about 6 years ago. The memory is rather hazy but IIRC the problem was that a tiny piece of plastic inside the bore of the inlet socket had broken away and it stopped the whole shebang from working properly. It was a weird looking 3 legged pointy thing (can't think of how else to describe it) and the problem was it hasd broken off cleanly, so when I looked in the bore I didn't realise it was missing. It was only careful study of a new one at a dealer that made me realise what was meant to be there. The only possible repair was a new socket.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:41 am
by johnf (deleted)

Thanks for the input SDA. I tried trimming the blue hose on the pump but to no avail. I also purchased a "service kit" and changed some O rings, the one way valve and diaphragm again without success. I am just going to bite the bullet and fit a new inlet socket. All this faffing about is now how I want to be using up Eriba time this season!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:50 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

That's exactly what I did John. I spent hours trying new 'O' rings, valve bits etc , all to no avail. Once I installed the new socket all became fine and my sanity, such as it is, was restored.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:55 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I had exactly the same problem on our 2013 Troll. I gave up after trying all sorts of possible bow cures even a new socket. In the end I replaced it with a Carver Crystal socket which had the small levers to hold the socket in place.
Seems a better system.
TonyP

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2