CRIS VIN kit

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 30, 2018 4:57 pm
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Hi,

I wanted to start a thread on the process of applying for and getting a new Eriba registered with CRIS. There are plenty of threads on the merits vs waste of time already, but putting those arguments to one side I wondered if any of you had gone ahead and got your Eriba registered and what the process of applying the VIN chip kit was like.

I got in touch with CRIS and it was explained to me that step 1 is a provenance check to make sure you are the owner of the eriba followed by step 2 where you received a registration document and VIN kit.

The VIN kit is describes as 'containing Window lozenges, RFID tag and security labels'. Have any of you applied these? It seems you have to cover each eriba window with a sticky label, plus a master a QR code scannable label in the main window and fit a RFID chip somewhere safe.

I'm not keen on all these stickers all over the place. Any one done it? Also, for an eriba GT I'm not sure where you would conceal an RFID chip (needs to be inside) when it needs to be behind an non-metallic surface. The whole thing is metal.

I'd be very interested in anyone's experiences.

~ N

~ 530 and proud

Last edited Thu May 31, 2018 10:44 am | Scroll up

RE: CRIS VIN kit

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 30, 2018 5:12 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Could you not put the chip behind the rear plastic bumper?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 30, 2018 10:45 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

I have gone through this process. Not wishing to adorn my van with stickers, I only placed one in the front window. The master QR code I placed in the gas locker because I did not want it on display. As for the RFID chip, I pondered for quite a while because, as you state, the entire van is metal. Finally, I had a flash (hopefully) of inspiraiton, lifted the piece of wood under the wardrobe floor and put the RFID chip on the plastic wheel arch. This should allow it to be scanned from outside.

Eriba Familia 310 owner.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 12:56 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

Just done our 2017 Triton.

I only really did the CRIS thing to make insuring our 430 potentially a little easier (some insurers seem to ask for CRIS early in their questions list) and selling it on down the line (CRIS helps prove ownership to some degree I guess)

I stuck the main scannable RFID label under the sink onto the back of the cupboard (Not worried if its scannable from outside as suspect PC Plod a) won't have a scanner anyway or b) bother to get one the scanner out if they do have one in their patrol car).

I stuck the other main coloured window label in the kitchen window near the main door, and another in the gas locker.

The window lozenges are a real pain to apply because they are part spliced/split (to make them slightly harder to remove) so wasted a few but have added one to all 7 windows (as discreetly as possible in the lower corners).

I don't think any of the labels are really theft deterrents as could all be quickly removed, I did the CRIS thing mainly for my initial reasons outlined above.

and like this post!
Last edited Thu May 31, 2018 1:12 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 2:46 pm
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Thanks for the insights. Do you know if all the window stickers are a compulsory part of registration?

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 4:30 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

No idea, I'd be surprised. I assume the stickers are just an 'added value' so you feel better about parting with the registration fee and also designed to be a theft deterrent - showing potential wrong-uns that your pride and joy is registered and they should move along.

Even if the labels were compulsory how would anyone know ? If the van was stolen and there were no labels present if recovered how would the police or anyone else know if you didn't apply the stickers or if the thieving scum had removed them ?

likes this post!
Last edited Thu May 31, 2018 4:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 4:56 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Spapro wrote in post #6
...thieving scum...
Careful.

We live in sensitive times. Some people might find that remark thiefist, and the next thing you know there'll be an unruly crowd of placard-waving crinimals outside your gaff chanting:

"What do we want?"

"Something or other!"

"When do we want it?"

"Now!"

rs540 and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 5:23 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

Sorry I forgot myself, must think up a more reasonable description for thieving scum, after all they all have human rights.

Oh no I just did it again !

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 31, 2018 8:10 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Does the registration number on the stickers actually match the vin plate number?

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:20 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Quote: Spapro wrote in post #6
No idea, I'd be surprised. I assume the stickers are just an 'added value' so you feel better about parting with the registration fee and also designed to be a theft deterrent - showing potential wrong-uns that your pride and joy is registered and they should move along.

Even if the labels were compulsory how would anyone know ? If the van was stolen and there were no labels present if recovered how would the police or anyone else know if you didn't apply the stickers or if the thieving scum had removed them ?

I like the idea of getting the eriba registered. Partly for opening the insurance options, partly for ‘externally’ recognising the eriba is mine beyond the sales invoice, partly for having something to refer to should the very worst happen but mostly for completeness having just spent a small fortune on one.

Discrete stickers here and there, RFiD chip concealed somewhere sensible are all fine. Covering all the windows in little stickers isn’t something i want to do and I doubt much, if any, of a deterrent. Perhaps the owners of ‘Bailey Unicorn Pageants’ or ‘Coachman Leprecaun Delights’ are happy to use them as sticker albums? Eriba owners not so much.

~ N

~ 530 and proud

Last edited Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:21 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:17 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #9
Does the registration number on the stickers actually match the vin plate number?

Not sure, will check when home this evening and let you know for sure.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:14 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Serious question - has anyone ever heard of an Eriba being stolen?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:36 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Yes, but only twice. In each case from the owner's own address.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 pm
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Might get in touch with the people behind CRIS to find out what they consider compulsory, best practice and personal preference.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:02 am
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

We had ours done when we first got our 540GT as our friends had just had their BWB stolen and it made me a bit neurotic seeing how upset they all were. I just thought anything that acted as a deterent, no matter how small, was worth it.

I found the process a bit laborious. I ruined lots of the window stickers with my clumsiness. I stuck the thing in the front locker as I never believed that anyone would use a scanner anyway. MikeT

and Terryc like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2