Charging or NOT charging..that is the question?!?

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:39 pm
by andrew kennedy (deleted)

Can anyone out there advice me of a simple DIY method for checking out if, when I am running the car, the leisure 12v battery in situ in my Troll is in fact receiving the charge from the car?

Scroll up

RE: Charging or NOT charging..that is the question?!?

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:00 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

The best way is to measure the charging voltage directly across the leisure battery.

With the car running at over tick-over revs you should see about 14V.

If you have a Schaudt booster box in the 12V system you will see its green LED illuminate if working correctly.

The charging circuit is derived from the car's permanent 12V at the towing socket, but it should only connect to the leisure battery when the engine is running.

The fridge 12V supply is derived from the car's switched ignition supply so when the engine's running the fridge's red 12V switch will illuminate when set to 'on'.

Last edited Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:06 pm
by Arthur Newnham (deleted)

an easy way would be to plug in a voltmeter into the 12volt sockets in the caravan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01F4RNAK0/r...la-474786216127
and see if the volts increase when the car engine is running.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:15 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

Quote: JohnE wrote in post #2
The best way is to measure the charging voltage directly across the leisure battery.

With the car running at over tick-over revs you should see about 14V.

If you have a Schaudt booster box in the 12V system you will see its green LED illuminate if working correctly.

The charging circuit is derived from the car's permanent 12V at the towing socket, but it should only connect to the leisure battery when the engine is running.

The fridge 12V supply is derived from the car's switched ignition supply so when the engine's running the fridge's red 12V switch will illuminate when set to 'on'.

John, thinking to another posting you made recently about a towbar for your VW. You may find that your fridge is powered from the car battery when the engine is not running if the ignition is on. I questioned this with VAG when I found it to be the case on my Yeti and was told this was the correct setup.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:34 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #4
John, thinking to another posting you made recently about a towbar for your VW. You may find that your fridge is powered from the car battery when the engine is not running if the ignition is on. I questioned this with VAG when I found it to be the case on my Yeti and was told this was the correct setup.
That arrangement is pants. The fridge imposes a load of about 8 to 10 Amps, and that current should only be available with the alternator running - not directly from the car's battery.

If my tow bar electrics operate as yours (by design), then I'll fit a voltage-sensing relay to the fridge 12V supply in the caravan - then it's only connected when the relay sees the car's alternator voltage.

Thanks for the warning, Colin

Last edited Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:37 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Mine's the same as Colin's, John, and I was told that 'that's how they are now'.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:08 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #6
Mine's the same as Colin's, John, and I was told that 'that's how they are now'.
With ignition on (engine not running) is the green LED on the Schaudt booster illuminated?

And does the fridge lamp illuminate when switched on, too?

Last edited Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:11 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:15 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.325 Posts

I can remember going into the caravan when on the eurotunnel train and seeing the green fridge light on my 2006 Famila glowing. I got back into the car and could not figure it out. I then realised the ignition was on. I cannot say for my 2017 Triton as it does not have the same light on the facia.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1