Awning recommendations please

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:20 pm
by BibaEriba (deleted)

Hi everyone - would appreciate recommendations for a full-size awning please for our 2001 Troll 540 GT Touring...........
Thanks
BibaEriba

Scroll up

RE: Awning recommendations please

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:43 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

Firstly assume whichever full size awning you buy is a two person job to put up.
New then Kampa pop-air pro is difficult to beat for value and ease of use. You have a pre 2010 van so it should fit a treat, unlike post 2010 vans. They are about £900 new.
If you do not want an air awning and are prepared to spend an extra 20 mins when it comes to packing away then Fortex and Unico should be. at the top of your list. If lucky then £600 could secure a good used example. They are about £1,500 to £1,800 new.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:44 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:49 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

It really depends on whether you want a traditional awning and how you want to utilise the space. I have a Khyam Motordome 380 Sleeper which gives me at least twice the space of a traditional awning and can either sleep four adults or give plenty storage space to allow you the use of the full living space. It is easier and arguably quicker to erect than an inflatable jobby and you can be sitting having your dinner while the chap next door is still swearing at his poles. It withstands storm force winds and has several entry exit choices.

Each to their own.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:34 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

A much cheaper alternative and perhaps more in keeping with an older van would be a Soplair. I'm not sure of the model for a Troll but here is a 'Bourgogne' fitted to our Triton. They are all similar in appearance and are made of heavy duty material which I think is called 'Tencate'.

Awning01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

This picture shows the awning erected with front and sides in place and zipped up

Awning03.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Here you can see it being used as a sunshade in hot weather with front and sides completely removed. In practice we tend to remove the front, half unzip the sides and roll them down for ventilation so that they can be zipped up quickly should the weather change.

I have seen as new Soplairs advertised on this forum for somewhere in the region of £150 - £250 so you could be lucky and pick up a real bargain.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Our old van came with a soplair. I think we'd end up divorced if we tried to put it up. It's very heavy as well. BUT, as you can see from Aaron's pic, it let's the air circulate. Looking at many splendid awnings at the Vendee meet, I was worried that many awnings must make the vans seriously hot inside as they impair air circulation. It was very hot while we were there and the joy of eribas is the ability to keep them cool inside with judicious blind and window options.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

Ours has the fibre poles which keeps the weight down considerably.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:13 am
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

I have owned 2 Soplairs. I can testify to build quality, weather resistance, longevity and value 2nd hand. The steel pole model is strong but heavy. The fibre pole version lighter but the poles bend. The readily available end of pole bayonet fittings break.
We are still married but I prefer an awning that offers less chance for poles slipping out of location eyelets on side of the van leaving small dents.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:23 am
by granddadgrape | 1.559 Posts

Hello and to Eribafolk.

Can't help with the awning question as we've never used one.

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105708 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1