Asbestos

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:17 am
by Ozjeff (deleted)

I have purchased a 1978 familia and I am trying to import it into Australia, does anyone know if asbestos was used for anything in this model, such as insulation? If asbestos is found on import it a $3000 fine

Last edited Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:18 am | Scroll up

RE: Asbestos

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:22 am
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I've not heard of asbestos being used on any caravans but I doubt that even Hymer could provide you with a guarantee that there isn't any on a van that's 40 years old.

Would the Astralian authorities pull a van apart to check?

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

Last edited Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:23 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:25 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Ask Jandi caravans they are the Oracle with Eribas, I am not aware of any asbestos used in the older vans. I would have assumed if it has been laid up for a long time or not had a service for a long time the only concern would be the brake shoes?

http://www.eribacaravans.co.uk

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:39 am

I would think asbestos would be too heavy to use as a caravan insulation medium but it was used in old brake shoes and they tend not to be replaced that often on caravan as they usually do relatively low mileage and caravan brakes don't work as hard as car's.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:47 am
by Ozjeff (deleted)

If they suspect asbestos they will run tests which cost me, they drill holes and take samples and swabs. Was aware of brake shoes, was either going to remove them or get them replaced. Is there any insulation between the outer skin and inner lining? Or is there only the frame?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 pm

There is insulation between the inner and outer skins but I very much doubt that it would ever have been asbestos. As I say though, I doubt even Hymer would guarantee a total lack of it on something the French factory built 40 years ago.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:38 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

A lady from Oz imported a classic Pan about 5 or 6 years ago. She used to post on here and on our Facebook page and made no mention of any problems with the authorities.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:05 pm
by Ozjeff (deleted)

It's a new thing with asbestos, has only been something they are checking for the past 12 months

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:55 pm
by SteveJ (deleted)

Asbestos generally only had a few applications in domestic situations around the 1950-60's eg roofing sheets, loose fill fibre, floor tiles, lagging around pipes and heat shields

Most of these are very unlikely to be used in caravan construction other than heat shields near heaters or high temperature elements to stop combustion of nearby material

A simple check with your heater or hob/grill manufacturer will soon confirm any possible risk as they should keep a register

Spun mineral wool or polystyrene is the most likely fill between walls and sheets as loose Asbestos fill would settle and be impracticable in a Caravan

A few restoration projects on the web is likely to show typical construction techniques used by Eriba and any encounters with Asbestos

This 1963 article specifically notes "A styrofoam / foam insulation makes the winter PUCK"

https://www.myvintagecampers.com/1963-er...ll-caravan.html

Last edited Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:10 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:42 am
by Ozjeff (deleted)

Thanks everyone, if anyone has links to pictures or articles I could use to prove there is no asbestos in the insulation or anywhere else that would be great, have emailed eriba and Jandi but so far no reply unfortunately

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 69 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2