Renewing car insurance

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:58 pm
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

Does anyone else think, like me, that car insurance is a total rip off.

I have been checking out the insurance websites, (Compare the meercat etc) and have come up with 4 quotes, 2 from supermarkets (Tesco and Sainsburys). From the cheapest to the most expensive acceptable quote there is a difference of around £50.

All the policies are underwritten by the same insurance co.

Scroll up

RE: Renewing car insurance

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:10 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Try LV, I was pleasantly surprised.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:26 pm
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

The underwriters were LV.

My late father in law - 98 years old and not computer aware paid his home & contents insurance by automatic renewal/direct debit

I was shocked to find that he was paying upwards of £400 for a 2 bedroom bungalow and basic contents.
He had trusted the insurers to give a fair price on each renewal.
When I found out I went online for him and got a quote of £86.

All LV

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:21 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Depends what he'd told them originally, he may well have over insured, or a broker may have boosted their commission by adding stuff. No insurance company can nursemaid every customer. It's a standard business principle to offer a low starting rate (your £86) and gradually build it back to a profitable level in the hope that some customers will stay. It's akin to loss leaders in supermarkets.

I've abandoned insurance on one of our dogs this year as the insurer upped the premium from circa £300 to circa £850. By the same token both our vehicles are with LV who came in at a very reasonable price and the renewal on one was only a £15 increase on last year.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:22 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Ditto on LV

and get £20 cashback as well

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/lv-car-insurance/

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:06 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Quote: Skoderiba wrote in post #3
The underwriters were LV.

My late father in law - 98 years old and not computer aware paid his home & contents insurance by automatic renewal/direct debit

I was shocked to find that he was paying upwards of £400 for a 2 bedroom bungalow and basic contents.
He had trusted the insurers to give a fair price on each renewal.
When I found out I went online for him and got a quote of £86.

All LV

Similar for my 88yr old mum.
Nat West bank charging her £600+. Saga now have her business with a more comprehensive policy for just over £200.

As regards car insurance, I always shop around. Of those that include driving in Europe up to fully Comp as standard and not a basic cover I seem to find caravan Club, More Than, Tesco and Direct Line are usually the most competitive.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105780 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0