Fitting a twin USB 12V 4.2A charging adapter

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:48 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

I wanted to charge my phone and tablet off the Puck's battery. I bought one of these.

ch.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Note you can get similar with lower ampage but I wanted to make sure I had enough to charge the tablet. This one also has the advantage of incorporating a voltmeter

All the lights in my Puck are wired through trunking in the cupboards. This provides a convenient source of 12V. I fitted the charger in the rear cupboard. On my puck the wires are fitted with bullet connectors.

DSC03510.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I made these extensions with a breakout to connect to the charger in parallel. I borrowed a crimping tool to compress the bullet connectors. Red is the correct size for 1 cable, blue for 2 cables.

DSC03512.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I connected everything to test

**important** on my Puck the blue cable is live and the brown is neutral, European colour coding is an art form. I tested with a multi meter first. Do not assume yours are the same as mine - always test first.

I assumed the charger did not need extra fusing over and above the existing lights protection.

DSC03514.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

To tidy up I ran my new extensions to the other rear cupboard where there was no trunking in the way of fixing it down

DSC03515.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC03516.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I am not ready to drill holes in my baby yet so I am experimenting with mounting the charger in a piece of wood to to allow for fixing without drilling (ie glue or silicon). This is what I did.

DSC03517.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

It is not suitable yet. It needs to be secured and more to the left to allow better access. It's still usable though and charged my tablet OK. The voltmeter display is "always on" and was displaying correctly according to my multimeter. As it's in a cupboard it can't disturb your sleep. When I'm happy with the quality I will consider drilling a hole in one of the units for a proper mounting. My current choice of cupboard location would be usefull to power a rear view dash cam.

Finally do not assume I know what I'm doing.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

, Randa france and Eribanut like this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:48 pm | Scroll up

RE: Fitting a twin USB 12V 4.2A charging adapter

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:02 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Steve, I'll be interested to know how this USB charger affects FM radio?

I made a similar installation about 2 years ago, all is fine for charging tablets and phones but it interferes with my potable FM radio. I have to site the radio at the other end of the van to stop interference when a device is being charged.

I took mine off the lighting circuit just like yours.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:09 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #2
Steve, I'll be interested to know how this USB charger affects FM radio?

I made a similar installation about 2 years ago, all is fine for charging tablets and phones but it interferes with my potable FM radio. I have to site the radio at the other end of the van to stop interference when a device is being charged.

I took mine off the lighting circuit just like yours.

A lot of these USB chargers get the 5V by converting the 12VDC to AC and then transforming it down to 5VAC before converting back to DC. It's this process which generates high frequency interference probably caused by poor quality components and poor or non-existent electromagnetic shielding. Probably knocked out in China at pennies for each one.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:18 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I've just tried a battery driven FM radio and a 240v mains one - both ok. I tried them with the lights on and still ok. They are LED's if that may help ? My charger is definitely a chinese one off ebay.

Last edited Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:20 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Ray that would not surprise me but why would they use such a roundabout method of producing 5 volts. Are they using existing off the shelf circuits to save costs and why would there not be an existing circuit for 12 to 5 DC

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:36 pm

Hi Ray here.
just to add that it wasn't me that suggested converting to AC and then back down to 5Vdc.

My little charger is about as small as a car plug in device to the old cigar lighter. I suspect mine is a simple 5Vdc zener diode but I'm not inclined to pull the device apart to check. It was certainly a cheap device from Ebay, probably from China. The radio interference is a minor inconvenience from such a cheap device.
Lucky you that your bit of kit doesn't interfere with fm radio.
I also have led lighting and don't suffer any interference when charging phone/tablet.

Good project nonetheless :)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 pm

sorry, I just read Ray in the quote :)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #5
Ray that would not surprise me but why would they use such a roundabout method of producing 5 volts. Are they using existing off the shelf circuits to save costs and why would there not be an existing circuit for 12 to 5 DC

Most car style plug-in USB chargers use the 34063 inverting switching regulator which oscillates in the kHz frequency range; this can generate electromagnetic interference which radio sets can pick up...

mc34063a-usb-sarj-kiti.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:12 am
by Adrian Reeves | 50 Posts

B14A557B-2D6F-41E5-9613-73E984797C39.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Got one fitted it and it works.

Last edited Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks rs540,

didn't know these cheap chargers could be so complicated, all those components and assembly for about £3.

P.s. your nickname wouldn't be anything to do with RS by any chance?

Last edited Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:23 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:38 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #10
Thanks rs540,

didn't know these cheap chargers could be so complicated, all those components and assembly for about £3.

P.s. your nickname wouldn't be anything to do with RS by any chance?

I wish! But I am nearly 40 years an electrical engineer...

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:38 am
by Dorsetboy (deleted)

I was going to charge my phones via the factory fitted 12v Hella socket. However, it was said - that the 12v dc supply from the BIP unit is "dirty" and can damage the usb chargers some of which as mentioned earlier are poor quality and can burn out. Im dubious on that but...being a bit cautious and not wanting my iphone smoldering on the fridge top I fitted a (fused) standard car lighter socket into the wardrobe bulkhead and connected it to the mover battery (seperate to van power) which has very nice clean 12v dc and its very own spanky new smart charger. Im happy with the result as I can insert a usb charger or a volt/temperture gauge or better still a soft glow map light. I note the mover charger ramps up quite a bit when on a heavy charge after a move so I make a point of not using the socket until the charger sits back.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:28 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

I just use the manufacturer-supplied chargers overnight when on EHU together with a twin 12v cigar lighter adapter with two USB sockets (1A and 2.1A from memory) in the car to power dashcam, satnav and charge phone should it be required.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:38 pm

That will do it but on my car I have to turn the ignition on/off every 10 minutes to keep the power on.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:10 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.741 Posts

Point taken.

On my Audi, the sockets between the seats and in the boot are constantly live while in Mrs C's Honda Jazz they only operate with the ignition switched on.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 62 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105580 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4