Thetford Rinse Reservoir will not top up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:52 am
by johnf (deleted)

Having a lovely long weekend away at Heaven Farm in East Sussex. However, I cannot refill the toilet rinse/flush tank. The glass tube suggests that the tank is empty and the flush motor runs ok. When I try adding rinse solution to top up, it will not clear the aperture/arm into which it is added. This quickly fills up but just stays there. I am set up level and never had this issue before. I have searched the forum but not come up with anything. I am considering buying a pipe cleaner brush and gently pushing that through the aperture to try and clear any potential blockage. Before I do that, I wondered if anyone had come across this before and what the potential causes and solutions are?

I have a 2013 Triton 430

Many thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Scroll up

RE: Thetford Rinse Reservoir will not top up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:12 am
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: johnf wrote in post #1
When I try adding rinse solution to top up, it will not clear the aperture/arm into which it is added
Unless the flush tank is completely empty the filling tube will invariably hold liquid which gives the impression that the tank is full.

You should be able to slowly add 4 or 5 litres to the tank before it overflows from the filling tube.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:18 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Am I correct in remembering that a 2013 model will have the swivel Thetford, not the bench type that came before and after?

The filler is still inside the cassette locker, like the bench type but the tank/cistern has to be around the cassette space and therefore you should be able to hear water dropping into it as you fill. I would think there's hardly anything to block up before the tank opens up inside.

Probably best to take a look at the exploded diagrams for that particular model on the Thetford website. It'll presumably be C250 something or other.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.

Last edited Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:31 pm
by Arthur Newnham (deleted)

are you sure that there is not a problem with the site tube, take the bung out of the top and try blowing into the tube to see if there is a blockage, this happens with ours and it's a job that I need to rectify at some point.
Art

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:18 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

It sounds like you’re not using the funnel!
The end of the filler tube is actually not low enough to allow flow. Haven’t you got a sort of green bottomless cup somewhere in the area?
This fits on the filler tube end thus increasing the height allowing proper filling.

Eriba Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
b2nun likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:09 am
by gattim (deleted)

Ah that’s what it’s for !! I never knew
We had a 2013 with a swivel loo but the flush was plumbed invto the main water supply, there was no separate flush tank
I would second Tony here with his suggestion of using the funnel

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:42 am
by eribaMotters | 5.301 Posts

I must also admit to being bemused by this situation. I had discovered the seperate green thing but do not use it. I have found that by carefully trickling water into the top of the reservoir from my watering can I can fill it, despite thinking the water will be refused entry and be spilled back over my foot.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:39 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

If you've lost your mysterious green thing, never had one in the first place or are simply too frightened to use it, a 50p plastic funnel does the job just as well.

Last edited Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:40 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:08 pm
by johnf (deleted)

Hi everyone thank you for the replies and suggestions. I suspect the funnel is the long term answer. Cal (Conal) has very kindly sent me a picture of one. I see the logic of raising the water level on entry to the filling arm. I guess this is then enough to push it through to the “flush tank”. I will also consider the 50p funnel as worth trying. I seem to have got round the issue short term by gently pushing the blunt end of a fork into the opening on the filler “arm”. I felt something like a flap give way and suddenly the rinse solution was flowing into the tank.

In case you are wondering this is only our 2nd trip in this Eriba and must be first time I have needed to refill/top up the rinse water tank. Thius wasn’t an issue on my Familia or other units I have had with Thetford toilets.

Out of interest, do other owners empty the rinse tank at the end of a trip? I have not bothered in the past but I can see there is a case for doing so.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Quote: johnf wrote in post #9
I suspect the funnel is the long term answer.

Out of interest, do other owners empty the rinse tank at the end of a trip? I have not bothered in the past but I can see there is a case for doing so.
I have to confess that I started using a cheap funnel because I didn't know what the green thing was for either...

As far as draining the flush tank goes, I pull the top end of the sight tube out of its rubber connection and let it hang down while the contents dribble into the sh*t suitcase before a final emptying.

I'm not over keen on having any liquid sloshing around in a tank while towing. Apart from the possibility of a leak, at a kilo a litre it's dead weight you don't need to be carrying.

Last edited Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:57 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I empty mine the same way but always leave a little in the flush system for use in transit.

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:54 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #5
It sounds like you’re not using the funnel!
The end of the filler tube is actually not low enough to allow flow. Haven’t you got a sort of green bottomless cup somewhere in the area?
This fits on the filler tube end thus increasing the height allowing proper filling.

Well thanks very much for the explanation Tony, I always wondered what this little green thing was that rides on the top of my loo. In the past I have thought of ditching it but now that I know that It has a use I will leave it were it is.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:40 pm

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #11
...but always leave a little in the flush system for use in transit.
It's funny, innit? We've never even contemplated using the toilet en route.

For some reason it just doesn't seem right.

It's not a big issue. Mrs Pete is blessed with being able to hold it longer than a camel and I can always have a piddle behind a tree.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:07 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

We're like Pepe - we have never thought of using the toilet in transit as we always stop at service stations. We always empty our flush tanks into the toilet before I do the final empty.

Also like many others I carefully look after the green thing but up until this feed have had no idea what it is for - it just looks too important to leave at home.

In defence of Johnf I think the instructions in the Eriba handbook about filling the flush are pretty iwoeful. I was worried at first about the filler not taking any more water and overflowing. Only by trial and error did I realise that it would take litres of water despite looking like it would overflow and second MikeT

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 37 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12518 topics and 105610 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6