Best seat height for table when fitted outside (2006 Troll 540)

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:38 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

Hi

I’ve been using folding camping chairs but find the seat way too low when eating at the table when it’s fitted to the table rail outside the van. The table top is at chest height and I have to use big cushions underneath my bum to make it comfortable when eating.

I’ve seen some nice (but very expensive) Outwell Acadia reclining chairs which have a seat height of 50cm which seems higher than most. I’m happy to buy them if it means I can eat comfortably at the table and recline when I’m reading in the afternoon. I am trying to avoid the hassle of buying and returning them if they don’t suit this purpose.

Does anyone have any experience of this chair or a good recommendation for camping chairs which are comfy but also allow you to eat at the table without reaching up?

Also, does anyone know the height of the tabletop when fitted to the outside of the van on what is presumably a standard outside table rail - I have to drop the extendable table leg a couple of inches when using the table outside the van to make the table level.

Last edited Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:40 pm | Scroll up

RE: Best seat height for table when fitted outside (2006 Troll 540)

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:49 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

We have a similar problem in the 'Eribacar', in that we have three tables supplied with the van, two of a similar size and one referred to as a coffee table. There are two metal poles supplied for the tables, both of the same height and both fit in sockets in the floor one between offside front and rear seat and one between the front seats.

We've also been supplied with a folding tripod foot for the table poles, which enables the tables to be used outside. Trouble is, whilst inside they're at a perfect height for eating, when used outside they're much higher, a good 4ins plus higher than is comfortable.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:57 am
by gattim (deleted)

Surely the right size chair depends on your own height, leg length, dimensions etc. and your preferred sitting height? We have a couple of these :
Lafuma Cham Elips Air Comfort ;they work for us but might not for you.

Can you not measure the height of your own table top from the ground??

The issue is complicated if you are not pitched on level ground; depending on the slope you might be eating off your knees or resting your chin on the table

, Aaron Calder, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:16 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

We also find the outside table position too high even on level ground. I've been thinking about making some sort of drop plate out of the standard aluminium extrusions and a couple of bits of wood.
Thinking about it is as far as I have got so far :)

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual

Last edited Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:43 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

I’m unable to measure my table height for 2 reasons:

1. My Eriba is in a storage yard
2. I’m away on holiday in Sri Lanka

I just wondered what chairs others were using. I’m not looking for a tailor made solution but there is a general relationship between table height and seat height for domestic dining sets and I wonder what height chairs people use for their outside tables which enable then to eat outside without reaching up too much.

I’m going away in the Eriba as soon as I get back to UK so am thinking of ordering a couple of chairs from here so that they arrive on my return.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Kam, you got me thinking I just had to pop out and have a look.
I did some measuring of the relative seat height to table height which was quite interesting:

Measuring height of table top/seat base from the floor:

My Dining table and chairs indoors - 78/48 cms difference 30 cms, reasonably comfortable
2007 Triton outside / folding seat - 74/40 cms difference 34 cms, bit of a stretch cushion required especially for better half.
2007 Triton inside / bench seat - 68/44 cms difference 24 cms, very comfortable even for children.

So, 4 or 5 cms seem to make all the difference. I checked two different outside chairs and they both had a seat height of about 40 cms.

It would need to be quite a thick cushion that would compress under weight to a thickness of 5 cms.
More thought required

Kam likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:28 am
by Kam | 139 Posts

Many thanks Ray Lawrence.

Your research suggests an outside chair with a seat height of 50 cm might be just the ticket.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:45 am
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Ah but.........

What if the pitch is not level. I've been on plenty of sloping pitches as I tend to use grass only pitches.

What we need is a chair with adjustable legs

Have a look at some of these
Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folding-Fishi...AsAAOSwMgdX0xQN
I don't know what the range of seat heights is but at least we now know that such a chair is available

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Kam likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105579 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1