Winter storage

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:57 pm
by Lusk (deleted)

Been reading various bits and pieces about damp and it's got me wondering whether I should have any form of heating (mine has a gas burner heater in it) on throughout the winter.

The other alternatives would be to do nothing or have a de humidifier left in.

Scroll up

RE: Winter storage

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:08 am
by devonmaid (deleted)

We had ours stored outside under its cover for a year with no problems at all. I don't see why you would want to heat - it will just create condensation surely.
It was stored away from the house and we would visit maybe once a month to check everything was ok. we gave it a little airing but it didn't seem to need it.
Now we are lucky enough to have it stored in a barn. We still put the cover on and leave the windows on 'night'. We open the cupboard doors and pull cushions away from walls and tap is open. We've had the van for 5 years and over wintering has never been a problem bu tI would definitely invest in a cover.

Eriba Pan pushing Volvo V70
Randa france, highmiler and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:08 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We store ours in a storage facility which means she's nice and dry and ventilated. It costs 240 euros per year and I think is worth it. We leave the windows on vent and the roof up and there's never been any hint of damp or mould.

Last edited Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:09 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:00 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Lusk wrote in post #1
...or have a de humidifier left in.
A dehumidifier won't make any difference unless air inside the caravan contains more moisture than the air outside.

If it does, then the dehumidifier will lower the level of humidity to ambient, but no further.

This is because the van isn't a sealed box, and once the level inside is the same as that outside, all the dehumidifier is doing is trying in vain to dry out the earth's atmosphere.

If you've had some kind of internal leak, a big spill or carried a wringing wet awning or a pile of sodden clothes home in the van then it's probably worth putting an inexpensive dehumidifier in until the dampness has gone, but that's about it.

Randa france, granddadgrape and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:19 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Mine is stored outside but under a carport, no cover. Windows on night latch but top down as it was getting quite dirty when left up overwinter.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:21 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I use to use an oil heater on low tick over, however for the last two years it is just under a winter cover. Just like Devonmaid, all the internal doors are left open. If the weather is dry I will open the door (bespoke fitted cover) to air it out every now and again. I haven't had any damp or mildew problems.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:44 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Good ventilation is far more important than heating.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:30 am
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Hi Lusk

I remember asking a similar question when we first got our Troll and had a number of responses to think about. A neighbour with a BWB leaves a greenhouse heater on in his all winter & we were tempted to do the same but didn't in the end.

Ours is on the drive outside the house and we bought a kampa winter cover for it through AL. Both winters we have put the cover on just before Christmas and have taken it off sometime in March. We give inside a good clean and the outside gets a clean and coat of polish before we put it away.

We probably check it every other week and leave the door open for a bit to get some fresh air in. we keep the pop top down, cover the heater vent with cling film and close the windows - thought about leaving them open slightly as some do but decided against it. We put no heating on at all and don't put anything like a humidifier on or saucers of gel or salt like we know some people do. We take the cushions inside the house but leave the upholstery as it is in the van.

We have had no damp in the van either winter and will do the same again this coming winter. It has just had its second Hymer service and there has been no damp detected as yet.. MikeT

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 am | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 52 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105775 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6