No spark on the fridge starter

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:43 pm
by BerylFfrangcon (deleted)

The fridge works off the 12v car battery, it works off the 220/240v, but I cannot get the gas to light up. There is no little spark in the window. Can you please help? Dafydd and Beryl Ffrangcon

Scroll up

RE: No spark on the fridge starter

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:08 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I can never see the spark (or the lit gas unless I put my head in the fridge). I check if it's on by checking the heat coming out of the outside vent.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:23 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

It can take an age to clear the air from the pipes if it is not used off gas regularly.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

Plus, my recollection is that it is surprising how narrow the angle of vision is to actually see anything through the window, even when it's lit. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't see the spark, you'd have to be looking in 'exactly' the right angle to see it - even if it would be visible anyway. As Stewart say, purging the feed pipe of air can take a while..

Persevere and good luck!

Hugh

Last edited Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:41 am
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

Silly question time...is the gas to the fridge turned on ? If you have a kitchen roll tube you can put it over the little window inside the fridge to help you see the flame. :)

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:08 am
by DognWheel (deleted)

I'm very new to it all, but I have twice had the experience of thinking the spark wasn't happening, and no sign of a flame, so the fridge won't be on... and then when I go back to it later, it's cool!

Also, you won't get the fridge to work on gas unless the 'van is close to completely level.

I now keep a loo roll inner in the 'van, to make a tube to see the spark/pilot flame. Haven't tried it yet though.

2000 Puck L225 pushing a Peugeot 207SW 1.6HDi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:30 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Same here. We very rarely use our fridge on gas but on the occassions we spark it up to see if it still works, it can take what seems like an eternity to light.

We've found that lighting the gas cooker for a few minutes "encourages" the fridge to finally light. Whether it helps the gas flow or not we don't know.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 pm
by daveg (deleted)

Only ever use gas at festivals, I get a section of me tent pole press it against the glass and the over end to my eye I'm out of the van by now, and have a good view, in the dark pipe. Sure a shorter pipe. Would be ok,

Ps Sofie ignites fridge

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:43 pm
by daveg (deleted)

PSS before the devorce, that should say wife

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 pm

Can you give us some idea how long an age is please?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Before departure to our caravan holiday in Corsica some 3 weeks ago Dafydd tested the gas fridge, the gas hob, the 12v electric for the fridge, the 240v test and at the same time we had a new a 13 pin socket fitted to the car and caravan by 'the local garage mechanic, whom Dafydd holds in high esteem. Everything was working as it should. Now the fridge ignition won't work. Seeing the flame is not a problem, and when Dafydd presses the ignition button, the flame usually appears on the second application, and a gentle pop can be heard as it ignites. Now it does not ignite. This is the problem. Can anyone help please?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:15 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Check the gas tap for individual appliances - I think on your van it will be a bank of 3 red taps above the drawer opening. All should be vertical - or at least the same assuming the hob lights OK.

Neurotic Kia Sportage trundling MegaPuck 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:39 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

The last time I tried a test it took 20 minutes to ignite after constant pressing of the ignitor. I no longer bother to use the fridge off gas.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Karoq 1.5i DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:08 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Gas bottle on, fridge on max , 1 click and it's lit.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:05 pm
by robert wilson (deleted)

I concur with my learned friends Steve and Debbie. The whole process takes just a few mins. Patience and all is usually well. I use the fridge on gas a lot as most of my camping is done on sites which have bu**er all by way of amenities .

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 38 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105689 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4