RE: No spark on the fridge starter

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:46 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

We use the gas for the fridge when off grid and can take Keith 10 minutes to get it to light!! We turn on gas, then make sure switches under the sink are on for the fridge (yours maybe in a different area). We then leave a minute before we light the cooker to 'draw' the gas through. Turn off after a minute. Next turn on the gas dial for the fridge for the gas...we find it works if the pointer is at 1 minute past 12. Then use a blanket or large towel over your head when kneeling with head in fridge!!...so much easier if you are in darkness. Then start firing the button and pray!! Like the idea of checking for heat out of the outside vent...will try that next time. Good luck.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:37 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Are you sure you're getting him to light the fridge Chris or have you discovered his insurance policy

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:12 pm
by Arthur Newnham (deleted)

When we want to run the fridge on gas the first thing that we do is make sure the van is level, then fire up the hob so as to assertain that the gas is working, then I get in the caravan with roof down, door shut, all blinds down so it's as dark as I can possibly make it inside, then fire up the fridge. I find that this is the best way to do it as you can see when the spark happens and also the jet ignites
. Art.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:46 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

It’s quite easy to light the fridge with a barbecue gas lighter by removing the lower fridge vent to access the igniter and pilot light. Of course it requires 2 people but if it’s necessary to run the fridge on gas this method works.

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
felix, Randa france and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:55 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Quote: Arthur Newnham wrote in post #18
When we want to run the fridge on gas the first thing that we do is make sure the van is level, then fire up the hob so as to assertain that the gas is working, then I get in the caravan with roof down, door shut, all blinds down so it's as dark as I can possibly make it inside, then fire up the fridge. I find that this is the best way to do it as you can see when the spark happens and also the jet ignites
. Art.

I know you're serious Art but you have to admit that it sounds hilarious.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:16 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #19
It’s quite easy to light the fridge with a barbecue gas lighter by removing the lower fridge vent to access the igniter and pilot light. Of course it requires 2 people but if it’s necessary to run the fridge on gas this method works.

I've resorted to that one before now

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Over the years I have developed a better strategy for lighting the fridge which seems to work every time after no more than a couple of clicks.

The strategy involves understanding that the air/gas ratio is critical for ignition, too much or too little gas and it won't work. So we need to make sure that there is a good supply of air passing over the ignitor as well as gas.

Arrive on site, unhitch and get the van reasonably level. Turn the gas on. Attempt to light the fridge as soon as you get on site because if you have been using 12V to work the fridge on the journey, there will be residual heat around in the fridge flue to encourage a flow of fresh air up the flue by convection, over the gas ignitor.
Turn a couple of rings on the hob on and ignite to draw gas through the system.
Press and hold in the gas control knob for the count of 10 and then hit the ignitor. If it lights, keep holding in for a few seconds and you are done.
If it dosen't light, don't hold in the gas knob for a while as this just floods the ignitor area with too much gas and it won't ignite. Wait a short while and then repeat the holding in for 10 seconds and then press ignitor.

All these years of failure and frustration were mostly my fault for keeping the gas knob pressed in for too long and making the air/gas ratio too rich.

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:23 pm
by Phil Barber (deleted)

I also check mine by feeling the outside vent for a subtle jet of hot air. I was also advised to use a cardboard tube from a roll of kitchen towel to peer at the hole. Genius!!
Hope you get it sorted!!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:49 am
by paulj (deleted)

It's mentioned above that it is important to get the van level, but I would like to emphasise that point. We bought our Familia 320GT at the start of August, and went of for a few days with our friends who have an older Pan. The fridge in the Pan is across the front of the van, whereas ours is on the left of the door as you get in (so "along" the van). The ground was gently sloping away, and both vans were parked across the slope. I didn't have wheel blocks at that time, and even though the Pan had been lifted onto a block, there was still a right to left run of 3 degrees (according to the phone spirit level). The van didn't feel off level! Anyway, our fridge started without any issues, but we couldn't get the Pan fridge to light. Reading about the importance of levelling the van, in the end we put another block under the downslope wheel and then managed to light the fridge without any problem. What I never established was how the fridge reacts to being off level - is there a sensor or device to stop the gas flow or the igniter, or is the lack of function a result of the design around the burner.
I like the idea of using a tube to see the flame more easily - I think that will be a useful approach for the future!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:52 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I don't think being out of level will affect whether or not the fridge gas jet will light. I understand it to be more to do with the uninterrupted flow of heated refrigerant.

Perhaps I'm wrong?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:30 am

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #25
I don't think being out of level will affect whether or not the fridge gas jet will light. I understand it to be more to do with the uninterrupted flow of heated refrigerant.

Perhaps I'm wrong?

No, you are quite right.

Pure coincidence I suspect that the fridge lit after being levelled.

Lighting the fridge successfully is mostly about getting the correct air/gas ratio

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:38 am

Just a reminder, the efficiency of the fridge is dependent on it being level no matter what heating source is used, gas or electricity.

The liquid refrigerant is heated in a boiler where there is a reaction of gasses and hot liquid which then rise and circulate around the various pipes which are set at critical angles to each other.
The boiler is contained in an insulated jacket which has the 203Vac electric element and the 12Vdc element built in to it. The heat from the gas jet rises up through the hollow centre of the boiler.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:46 pm
by Biljul | 51 Posts

If you are not getting any spark then obviously the gas will not ignite. It could be that the gap on the spark electrode is shorted to the burner by a piece of rust or fluff etc. The lead to the electrode could have come off or shorted similarly. You may still hear a muted clicking when you try to ignite. If this is the case then you will have to gain access to the burner to rectify the problem.

Triton 420GT and Kia Sportage 2.0 Diesel.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105783 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2