Using a driveaway awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 am
by Jezz (deleted)

I notice quite a few mentions of forum members using driveaway awnings because of their ease attaching to the low Eriba rail height.
We have been looking at inflatable awnings to take out some of the hassle erecting, especially on short weekend breaks, etc.

The Kampa pop air 260 looks marvelous for a Puck 120 like ours but is not really in our price range. Has anyone had any experience with an Outdoor Revolution Cayman Mini Air Inflatable Driveaway Awning? They can be bought new for £235 and the airbeams have a lifetime warranty which seems good.

Scroll up

RE: Using a driveaway awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:17 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

I have the Outdoor Revolution Movelite Oxygen2 for my Triton 430. It is heavyweight, sturdy and good value at £399. So hopefully the Cayman mini would be of similar quality/value.

One of the other advantages of the driveaway awning which is often missed is the fact that the awning can easily be coupled to the van on uneven or sloping ground, unlike the fixed awnings which require relatively flat ground.
I have both types so choose which awning to take depending on the site contours.

Another big advantage of the driveaway awning is the "tunnel" between the main compartment and the van. Ideal for storing wet boots and clothes and allowing access to the van without traipsing through the awning.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 pm
by rutts | 81 Posts

We used a Vango Idris inflatable driveaway awning(which we are about to sell) whichwe used with our Pan/Fam(320 GT) with great sucess.My wife used the tunnel area for her kitchen atrea.We have recently changed vans & tried hard to use the awning but couldn't get around the fact that it is about 18" too short.We are going Birmingham on Saturday to see what is available as a replacement.Our son-in law has just returned a Kampa air pro that he fitted to his Troll for 2days & found the material in way of the beading strip tearing.So not really on the shopping list.Dave

Skoda Superb 1.8TSI assisting a 2002 420GT
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 pm
by Jezz (deleted)

Thank you for the incredibly helpful replies. I think you both highlighted the benefits of the tunnel area very nicely. I think I will take the plunge and buy one.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:07 pm
by Jezz (deleted)

We have managed to get away this weekend to the lovely Quiet Site near Ulswater. IT was our first chance to test the inflatable awning. When we arrived last night it was dark but the awning was a doddle to inflate and peg out. It fits the Puck well and the quality is incredible compared to any other awning or tent we have owned.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_20181124_093401661.jpg 

Last edited Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:10 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:33 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

we adjusted our awning bead to be longer so the side tunnel wall did not rub on side window, and use a hoop made of carbon fibre poles to lift fabric above door.
our awning is built of poles not air, but would assume you may have loose fabric now and again.

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105572 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3