Caught on Camera, M50 Ireland.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:31 am
by Randa france | 12.883 Posts

Yesterday we had a demand through the post from M50 Toll eFlow (Ireland) entitled "Standard Toll Request" for £11.32 (which includes a penalty of £5.56) for not paying the toll for using the Dublin M50 motorway while on our recent trip to Ireland If You Ever Go Across The Sea To Ireland...

A couple on number plate photos confirm that we were there. No arguement as we did use that road twice and at certain points during our visit to Ireland we did see clues that suggested that the M50 was a toll road. However, during our travels up and down that road (only for a few miles) we didn't notice any warnings that we needed to pay, or methods of payment and, because we had previously payed a small toll at a toll plaza on an ajoining motorway, we though we were in the clear.

However, having chatted on line to Chris (addisb) this morning, it would appear that we missed many flashing warning signs and method of payment signs while using this busy motorway. Put it down to anxiety to find the correct turn off for the campsite and the sheer fast moving traffic situation of this very busy road if you like, but we missed it.

Chris tells me that we should have clocked the signage and either paid in a newsagents or garage before 8pm the following day or pay on line in the same time line. He also said that unlike many of these UK car park cowboys, the Irish M50 owners are like Rottweilers and will chase the debt down wherever you live in Europe.

Hey Ho, live and learn. So we will pay it as we didn't purposely intend dodging it but we still feel that more reminders should have been posted. eg. Why didn't the campsite have any reminder notices on their premises as they are right beside the motorway and probably all of their customers use the motorway to get to the campsite.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Caught on Camera, M50 Ireland.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:00 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

M50 Toll - grrr we were in Ireland for a family wedding in early April paid the toll for both journeys from and to the ferry port within the time specified.

In August, August mind, got a snotty letter from E Flow claiming we hadn't paid and demanding fees and late payment penalties.

Luckily we had kept the receipt - sent scanned copy to them - 6 weeks later got a letter stating that due to the circumstances they were waiving the fees.

The circumstances being that we had ALREADY PAID!!!!!!!!

We were back in November for another wedding. We've paid the tolls, both ways, we've kept the receipt.

Denise & Phil

Randa france and Eribacamper like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:10 pm
by Bryn | 993 Posts

the moral is, don't go to weddings, save on presents and tolls

granddadgrape likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:44 pm
by Eribacamper | 111 Posts

Quote: marmite wrote in post #2
6 weeks later got a letter stating that due to the circumstances they were waiving the fees.

Made me giggle.

Deb & SteveH. Toyota Hilux and Winnie the Troll 550
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:17 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

We had a similiar experience with the Dartford crossing. No problem seeing all of the warnings, and being paranoid about such matters, went straight on line when we got home and paid the toll. A week later I get a letter from Dart Charge, saying I haven't paid the toll, and if I pay up immediately it will only be £10 (or so, don't quite remember the figures), otherwise I would be looking at £50 escalating until I paid up. I sent them a copy of the receipt but they still insisted that I had not paid the crossing. To cut a long story short, the owner of my car before I purchased it had crossed at Dartford and not paid. When I paid up, they kindly took my £2.50 and paid that past debt. Complaints just landed on deaf ears, and eventually I coughed up rather than being hounded for ever more, but still not happy about it.

Triton 420 with Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi up front (will be once it has a towbar fitted).
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:20 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Bryn

Irish country weddings are the bees knees and I wouldn't miss a family wedding for all the snotty toll letters I may or may not receive - presents are optional

Denise

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:41 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Stevejoyce wrote in post #5
We had a similiar experience with the Dartford crossing. No problem seeing all of the warnings, and being paranoid about such matters, went straight on line when we got home and paid the toll. A week later I get a letter from Dart Charge, saying I haven't paid the toll, and if I pay up immediately it will only be £10 (or so, don't quite remember the figures), otherwise I would be looking at £50 escalating until I paid up. I sent them a copy of the receipt but they still insisted that I had not paid the crossing. To cut a long story short, the owner of my car before I purchased it had crossed at Dartford and not paid. When I paid up, they kindly took my £2.50 and paid that past debt. Complaints just landed on deaf ears, and eventually I coughed up rather than being hounded for ever more, but still not happy about it.

I would have thought you could easily prove that you were not the owner when the (offence) took place and hence not pay !

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:55 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

First you pass under the overhead gantry signage, followed by the cameras followed by a couple of overhead signs in lights telling you to pay by 8pm next day. Used to be actual tool booths etc. up to maybe 10 years ago but the traffic jams were horrendous. So they brought in the Automatic Only fjxmnfaw741pv1z41c1otdo0n7tc4sf.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Toll. This is the only toll road here without cash baskets/payment booths+ Freeflow lanes. The Free Flow operates with a windscreen tag which also pays automatically for this particular M50 ( Dublin Ring Road ) Motorway.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Which part of the M50 are those signs displayed Chris and do they appear more than once? We totally missed those. Had we seen them we would have asked for more details at the campsite.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:01 am
by addisb | 169 Posts

Hi Randa,
DublinM50.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I think you came down the M1 , from north heading south and you would have paid a toll just after you crossed the River Boyne around Drogheda. Then, you followed signs for M50 South, left the M1 and onto the M50 which is pretty much the Dublin Ring Road. Had you then stayed on the North Side of Dublin ( which is divided by the river Liffey ) then you would not have a toll fee to pay but you did not. Likewise if you enter on the South Side M50 and do not cross the Liffey Bridge, you do not pay a toll. You crossed the Liffey Valley, over a pretty high bridge shown below and at that point you hit the toll,just on the northern side of the bridge. The photo in my previous post shows the gantry you would have passed under. If you have a tag, it beeps at this point and if you don't then you are obliged to shell using one of the other methods of payment.
2014-09-06_new_3268569_I1.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Chris

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks for clearing that up Chris Yes, I'm guessing we did cross that bridge twice, once when en route to the campsite and again when we drove out to see the coast to the north of Dublin.

As you know, our campsite was Camac Valley so it's likely that all tourists heading for it from the direction of Dublin, Belfast or Rosslare would use the M50.(Rosslare would be OK though so it's the north eastern traffic that uses it).

Dublin Map.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We are very annoyed with ourselves for missing it but I suppose it was a case of the anxiety of finding the right road off the busy motorway to the campsite added to the fact that we have never experienced this method of payment before.

Anyway, live and learn. It's now paid for but like others,we found there is no opportunity of adding a comment. I still think that the Campsite should have had some signage up to remind people of the facts. They massively overcharge for the use of their facility after all.

Randa

Last edited Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:39 pm
by addisb | 169 Posts

Well Randa, it turns out that the Toll Road is owned by the State and so too was the Campsite in West Dublin that you stayed at. So if they made sure that everyone paid a toll then you would part with about 2 Euro, by getting you with the non payment fine you get the double whammy..so the thick plottens ! Anyway, all cleared up now and no bailiffs to take your Eriba for non payment of Tolls ! It scared the life out of me in the helicopter this morning to get that photo of the toll bridge for you but anything for a friend

Big Al and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:15 am

Gosh matey, that's a massive favour and I thought you'd just reversed the "selfie stick" that Joan had given you as an early Xmas present.

Randa

addisb likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:57 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #7
I would have thought you could easily prove that you were not the owner when the (offence) took place and hence not pay !

You would think that was simple enough. They had a copy of my V5, and the date the vehicle was transferred, but as far as they were concerned I paid the orignal crossing charge (thanks very much) but I had offended by not paying for the crossing I made. I did try the challenge procedure but they didn't agree with me and to escalate it further would risk a £100 fine if I failed get win, so grudgingly capitulated. Grr Grr...

Triton 420 with Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi up front (will be once it has a towbar fitted).

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:31 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:05 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Sounds like the same setup as the Dartford crossing complete with Euro Rottweillers.

Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105764 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7