Golf 1.4 tsi 125bhp

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm
by bogbean (deleted)

I've probably posted about this in the past, so apologies if I am repeating myself! Am fed up because the EGR filter on my Yeti needs replacing, so am thinking about changing tow vehicle. I like Golfs. Don't want to spend a fortune as I'm not sure how long I'll be driving due to health problems. Golf 1.5 250 bhp rather expensive. Anyone on here towed with a Golf 1.4 125bhp? I have a Triton 420. And I will look at Seat.....I remember that from a previous post! Any advice gratefully received!

Scroll up

RE: Golf 1.4 tsi 125bhp

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:28 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

What is the age and gross weight of the Triton?

According to What Tow Car the car looks to be a good match with a 1100kg Triton 420

"Verdict
The Volkswagen Golf - 1.4 TSI and the Eriba Triton 420 of a laden weight of 1091 kg is an excellent combination for all journeys on all kinds of roads."

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:29 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Have you thought about having the DPF (EGR) cleaned. There are companies around ( such as https://dpfcleanteam.co.uk/ ) that flush them out with high pressure water. Basically leave the car with your local garage. They take the filter out and send it to them to clean, then getting it back and replacing it hopefully curing the problem. I think the cost is in the region of £250, but could be a lot cheaper than having to swap a car you are otherwise happy with.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:10 am
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

I'd be interested to know your mileage and age on the Yeti. My 37,000 miles 2014 Diesel Yeti is due for collection in a couple of weeks. It has had the fix and I've had no problems with EGR or DPF. In fact I saw the saw the "needs a regen" light for the later for the first time ever a few months ago. Less than 5 miles down the road and it went out.
I'm replacing it with a 150 bhp petrol Audi A3 as I was told I'm lot allowed to kill any more polar bears so no diesel replacement was allowed. I think it's fair to say obscene discounts are out there at the moment as sales are depressed. [PM me if you wish clarification as it may be cheaper to buy new than a couple of years old]

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 pm
by bogbean (deleted)

I think my Skoda is very similar to yours, Colin. Same year, similar mileage. I had the remap procedure done on it. Wish I hadn't now. But fundamentally I like the car and it tows really well. And thanks for the other replies....it gives me food for thought. I have been doing lots of short journeys recently, so I need to be aware and sometimes give it a good run at high revs. Someone also suggested using Redex in the fuel.

Last edited Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:00 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:34 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

The SEAT 1.4 tsi engine is 150bhp, wonder if it's the same engine?
My 2017 SEAT Ateca 1.4 petrol manual pulls my Triton 430 very well with good fuel economy.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:36 am
by ROBMAR (deleted)

We tow our Triton 420 GT with a Seat Leon 1.2 litre petrol engine and get between 27 and 32 mpg. We very occasionally might have to drop down to 5th gear on long motorway uphill plods into a strong headwind, but have never experienced any other problems such as hill starts etc. Clearly a slightly larger engine option would be preferable, but we had the car before the van, and can't afford an upgrade in our old age.

Bob

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0