Realisation dawns... we need to get the B+E licences!

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:28 pm
by WendyT (deleted)

My other half and I were under the impression that we were just inside the 3500kg limit with our XC60 and future Eriba of choice 550 Troll. However, reading the fine print, we’ve realised that it is the Max allowable for the CAR as well as the caravan. Pants! The XC60 is recommended everywhere for towing the caravan, which is nice, but it does allow itself to be heavily loaded.
So, we’re going to have to do the extra E exam part for our licences. At least we have some time to get it done.
Has anyone done it? Can you offer any advice? I’m going to have to do it as an expat. I’m hoping I can find an English speaking instructor, because my Dutch is fine for conversation but Under stress? not so much.
I’m a tad worried. I really struggle reversing the trailer tent. It never goes where I want it to, and I have a fear of embarrassing myself, so quickly give up and hand it over to the other half.

Scroll up

RE: Realisation dawns... we need to get the B+E licences!

in We've got it down to a T Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:23 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Reversing a caravan is much easier than a trailer tent. The longer the towed vehicle the more stable it is as it takes longer to change direction.
When I had a trailer and took it to the tip, I always had to unhitch and move it manually. I can now place my Triton pretty much on a sixpence.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:23 pm
by steamdrivenandy (deleted)

The Caravan Club manoeuvring courses give excellent tuition on hitching and driving with a caravan. They use their stripped out vans, but you use your own car. Lots of useful hints and tips, like reversing straight by using your side mirrors to watch each side of the van and steering in the opposite direction as a van side comes into view etc.

Middlesex 29 years
Hertfordshire 15 years
Essex 2 years
North Yorkshire 15 years
North Staffordshire 9 years

'Eribacar' - aka Horizons Unlimited Innovation 3 MWB Ford Transit panel van conversion.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:44 am
by gattim (deleted)

Opposite direction? Surely if I see a portion of ‘van in my driver’s wing mirror I steer towards it? i.e. right hand down, steering to the right? If I steer to the left it will make matters worse?

campnsnooze likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:43 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

Just have a go in an empty carpark

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:10 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Cheryl took the trailer +E course when we changed cars which went over the 3500kg limit. She was a little worried but needn't have been as after the 2-3 day course she passed easily. She had never reversed a trailer before always letting me do it.

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:08 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Are you lot trying to make us feel old? I always thought that every full license holder who passed their test before 1997 had a B E licence.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:07 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

Roger is correct, here's a bit of UK license info regarding towing.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:08 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0