UK Eriba Motorway Accident

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:30 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

James McDowall shared this video on Facebook Eriba Folk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzyhKd-y...pnNAtd4xiMaX3oI

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:44 pm | Scroll up

RE: UK Eriba Motorway Accident

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:03 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Yes I saw that. It has been shared once before by Ray Lawrence #82 on this thread but it's not a bad idea ot share it again as a warning to folk to be careful.

Be careful out there! But enjoy your holidays😎

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:27 am
by nick13 (deleted)

It would be really useful if some more experienced towers on this forum could give their top tips for towing in safety and avoiding horrendous accidents like this to help us novices stay safe.

From what I've read, the main points seem to be:

1 - tyres in good condition and correctly inflated
2 - items stored (securely) in the van so as to avoid putting weight behind the wheel axles (ie keep the centre of gravity forward)
3 - aim for a nose weight around 75% of the recommended tow bar weight range
4 - keep to a 60mph (95kph) max speed
5 - beware lateral air pressure forces (bow waves) when overtaking lorries or being overtaken
6 - take your feet off the pedals to gentle slow down as soon as you notice the van beginning to sway

Any other pointers? What do you towing "experts" recommend? Thanks!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:18 pm
by gattim (deleted)

Get the heaviest tow car you can

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:21 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

If I had to bet on the reason for the accident I would place the blame on the bikes on the back. I had extra weight at the back of my Eriba and It felt very unstable. I now carry most weight in the middle and front and the ride is stable.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:52 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

The other basic thing that you can do is to load your van, as you would ready to go away, and go to the nearest Public Weighbridge and get the van weighed.
You will then know what that weight was and can adjust the contents one way or the other. You only need to do it once and take photos or make a list of what goes where when you get home. Simples !

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

As Nick says, if you detect the van starting to sway, take your feet off the pedals until things get back under control. I have read that (not from personal experience) things can get worse for about 10 seconds but quickly recover after that. This is likely to be a 10 second brown trouser moment but easing off the accelerator and avoiding braking and things should calm down.
We initially were towing our Triton with a Volvo S40 1.6 Drive. Whist this was ok, and a good match on the towing checker sites, I felt it wasn't great, with the caravan being quite apparent on the back, very poor fuel consumption , and noticeably much hotter after the journey. I decided to switch my car to a Ford Kuga which feels much better, and has a trailer stability program which should help. Being much higher helps with the aerodynamics too. Still waiting to fill up since our last trip last month so can't comment on fuel consumption yet.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:38 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

I’ve had 5 Eribas and only once had a scary wobble. That was the only one with a rear bike carrier which I didn’t use again and then removed.
Coincidentally we were held up in the long stationary traffic jam on the A1 as a result of that Eriba crash. As we passed it on the hard shoulder we were not aware that it had been the cause but recognised on the video.
Posted about it Friday 26th May 2017.

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.

Last edited Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Cor, yes and you say you have a bad long term memory Spotted. Hope you're ok?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:47 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Short term might be an issue......what are you referring to?😀

Eriba #5. Triton 420 GT gently nudging Ford Galaxy.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:09 pm
by Bigmig0 (deleted)

As a retired motorway cop if I had a pound for every caravan I found parked on its roof on the slab (motorway) I would be a rich man. Without doubt the major causation factors are excess speed and poorly maintained tyres.
Rant over!!!

Check your tyres for wear and age!

Troll 530 GT - VW Transporter Kombi 4motion with Exploria-on-Line conversion. still have the CombiCamp Valley.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:22 am
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

Quote: nick13 wrote in post #3
It would be really useful if some more experienced towers on this forum could give their top tips for towing in safety and avoiding horrendous accidents like this to help us novices stay safe.

From what I've read, the main points seem to be:

1 - tyres in good condition and correctly inflated
2 - items stored (securely) in the van so as to avoid putting weight behind the wheel axles (ie keep the centre of gravity forward)
3 - aim for a nose weight around 75% of the recommended tow bar weight range
4 - keep to a 60mph (95kph) max speed
5 - beware lateral air pressure forces (bow waves) when overtaking lorries or being overtaken
6 - take your feet off the pedals to gentle slow down as soon as you notice the van beginning to sway

Any other pointers? What do you towing "experts" recommend? Thanks!

Item 4: Max speed of 60mph on motorways and dual carriage ways ONLY and 50mph on all other roads unless restricted further by signed speed limits.

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel

Last edited Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:23 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:04 am

Zitat
Quote Pooledweller:- Item 4: Max speed of 60mph on motorways and dual carriage ways ONLY and 50mph on all other roads unless restricted further by signed speed limits.

That's the problem with UK motorways and clearways. We don't know if this unit was speeding but it wasn't hanging about. On three lane carriageways you get lorries driving at around 58mph (or a bit faster if they can) and they always want to do 1mph faster than the lorry in front of them; you get car drivers who think they own the third lane at way above the 70 mph speed limit, which leaves the middle lane to lane hoggers, too slow for the outside lane and afraid that if they abide by the law and pull into the nearside lane after overtaking, they'll never get out again. Therefore they often get pushed along at speeds they or their vehicle is uncomfortable with. That's not the case in this instance because the Eriba was certainly a lane hogger.

Although I moan about it a lot, I find that driving abroad, even in Germany, is a lot easier as drivers give more respect. Yes, lorries do drive at the equivelent of 58mph but often they are restricted to the slow lane; no overtaking. Also they are normally spaced far further apart which allows cars and caravans who do not wish to do Warp Speed 10, to use the slow lane. We break the caravan speed limit (50mph) by slotting into the slow lane and travelling at 58mph, only pulling out and speeding up to pass a slower lorry. It's much more relaxing. That would be impossible to do in the UK as you'll always be the meat in a lorry sandwich

Randa

Last edited Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:05 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0