painting wallboards

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:26 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

Anybody painted their wallboards after water and mould marking? If so,any recommends?Cheers.

Scroll up

RE: painting wallboards

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

I would treat the board like you would a watermark on the ceiling at home. A stain blocking primer undercoat needs to be used prior to painting with your chosen paint. I like an acrylic eggshell finish as it goes on well, is flexible and will not fade or discolour with age or lack of light.
I used to have an excellent water based stain blocking primer which was unusual as most are oil/spirit based. Unfortunately I cannot remember who made it and I know have a horrible oil based one. Be warned as you could make the same mistake as I did when reading quick drying and thinking it was water based.
Try Toolstation as a starting point. https://www.toolstation.com/painting-decorating/paint/c705?

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:42 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

Cheers.Will have a looksee for water based stuff.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:45 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

Yep,just got some rustins from the local store,water based stain blocker.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:09 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
I would treat the board like you would a watermark on the ceiling at home. A stain blocking primer undercoat needs to be used prior to painting with your chosen paint. I like an acrylic eggshell finish as it goes on well, is flexible and will not fade or discolour with age or lack of light.
I used to have an excellent water based stain blocking primer which was unusual as most are oil/spirit based. Unfortunately I cannot remember who made it and I know have a horrible oil based one. Be warned as you could make the same mistake as I did when reading quick drying and thinking it was water based.
Try Toolstation as a starting point. https://www.toolstation.com/painting-decorating/paint/c705?

Colin

Colin, like this one? https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-s...ite-750ml/57548

Woops just read the spec sheet its oil based but brushes wash out in water !!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:13 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

this one is also water based. Have used as a general purpose primer although not for stain blocking.

http://www.zinsseruk.com/product/bulls-eye-1-2-3/

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:26 am
by cyclop (deleted)

The rustins worked pretty well,applied mostly with a foam roller,taking care to brush out the runs.Quick dry(2hrs) before a recoat.Took a fair bit of mixing as solids had accumulated on the bottom of the can.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 am

Good to hear it's working out. Any photos to inspire others?

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:41 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

I will try to post some once I,ve finished the top coats,dulux water base eggshell.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:23 pm
by bevill (deleted)

Amazing how just the subject we need comes up on these forums just when we need it!. We have a Johnstone's "specialty paint" Stain block paint with 30 mins drying time - no mention of oil. We've had the tin a long time but they still do it.

Will look out for your photos cyclop. We have a fair amount of stain covering to do.

Thanks everyone once again for helpful info.
Bevill

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:53 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

P1010081.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1010090.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1010087.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)P1010088.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)I,ve uploaded these as work in progress.You can see the source of water ingress,back portside corner of the poptop opening,hopefully cured now.Water soaked the rear and side foam roof insulation,eventually running down the wallboards.P.S. my wife,Maureen,not keen on my eggshell finish so matt it is then!

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:24 pm

Although eggshell is more serviceable I think I'd do the same. Easier and cheaper to change the paint than your better/other half.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

I know my place.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:57 pm
by cyclop (deleted)

Just put the 2nd coat of wilco,s white matt emulsion.1st coat put on this morning.Pleased with the result and much quicker with a 4" brush,cutting in with a 2".Tried a foam roller but not as good.In addition,the eggshell which I put on initially showed up brush marks and minor runs more like a gloss so a good choice IMO,even though,as mentioned previously,the matt may not be as durable or scuff resistant as eggshell.Hope you get a good result.P.S. wash or sugar soap the roof of poptop as this area may have some cooking deposits.(I didn,t and a couple of grease spots appeared-dodged a bullet there phew)

Last edited Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:35 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

For emulsions you are better with a short fibre roller rather than foam. Foam is best for gloss and varnishes.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3