RE: Advice on Tow cars

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:48 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

Phil,
I towed a 1,000kg Triton and 1,300kg Troll with a 100bhp VW diesel Touran. This is the same floorpan as the Tiguan, same torque but less bhp. It was very stable but a bit slow.
Next up came a 900kg Familia and then 1,200kg Triton with a 110bhp diesel Yeti. Again this is the same floorpan as the Tiguan, same torque but less bhp. It was also very stable but a bit slow.
Currently 150bhp 1.5 petrol Audi A3 pulling my 1,200kg Triton.Again same floorpan. As regards pulling power this is my best vehicle so far. The petrol engine, a later version of the Tiguan 1.4 petrol is flexible with the torque across a very wide rev band.
The Tiguan with the greater kerbweight would be a more solid/stable tow, just a bit slower. More bhp would be nice with the 150bhp being better, but I would have no reservations in towing with the 125bhp engine.
Your Mazda from memory is a conventionally aspirated engine, ie no turbo. It lacks the torque that the Tiguan will have so probably why it struggles.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

RE: Advice on Tow cars

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:05 pm
by hamishhotshot (deleted)

Thanks colin for sound info your right about mazda aspirated engine reading your experience with different cars and vans it looks as though i maybe better looking for 150bhp'
Many thanks for your time
Phil.

ps .Think we live local to you in Ormskirk

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105701 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0