Advice on Tow cars

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:31 pm
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

We intend to buy an Erica Troll around August this year but as we have had a Motorhome for the last 7 years we are uncertain as to which car to buy to tow it. Ideally we would like the smallest car that would safely tow it. We had looked at a Volvo V40 but think the car is too light in weight. We wondered what other Eriba owners used as tow cars. Any help would be appreciated.

Scroll up

RE: Advice on Tow cars

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:24 am
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Well if I've got the facts right, the V40 will fit the Troll. See here:- https://towcar.info/GB/

However, it's always good to have that little bit extra in the tow car in case you need it.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:25 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:16 pm
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

Thanks Randa, we did look on tow car GB and it looks a good match but according to the CAMHC technical department it is not a good match so we might look at something a bit bigger.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

Bigger, heavier, more torque are all better, but at the end of the day it's a compromise. How many miles do you drive a year and out of these how many will you be towing?
We've had 5 good years towing with a 2.0L 110bhp diesel Skoda Yeti but have recently swapped it for a 1.5L petrol Audi A3. This is lighter but has the same torque as the Yeti and 40bhp more. I'm interested in seeing how it tows in a month when we have it's first outing, 600 miles return trip from Merseyside to Devon, as the https://towcar.info/GB/ website rates it as a better towcar.

I must admit that I would have liked a Mazda CX5 diesel. It offers loads of space and lots of standard kit for a good price. Unfortunately I was told NO to a diesel by my good lady wife as she does not wants to save the polar bears and I know what's best for me after 35yrs of marriage.

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

cruickie, , campnsnooze and like this post!
Last edited Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:06 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:22 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

I'd be cautious of the towcar matching function of the C&MHC site where Eribas are concerned. Nearly every combination I put in came out as being not a good match. When I looked at it more closely this was because the noseweight of the Eriba Troll is listed as 'unknown' so this throws out the results. The website even said that my Volvo XC60 is not a good match for my Eriba Troll which is clearly not the case.

cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:52 pm
by Frankenbetty (deleted)

We’ve just done 2000 miles up and around Scotland + some islands for a month with a new Mitsubishi Outlander 2.2 diesel auto and it was effortless
Euro 6 engine so ok emissions wise so no polar bears were hurt and some good deals to be had if you look around

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:58 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Colin - how about an update on your new A3 vs the Yeti

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:04 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Another one for you to think about we had a Honda CRV 2.2 diesel towing our Troll 540gt but the nice boys in blue wrote it off (very soar point). We really did like that car it was really good at towing the Troll with its intelligent four wheel drive. The car which was a two wheel drive but when needed the car went into four wheel drive. The 2006 model in my opinion the best model made.
We now have a Skoda Octavia Scout estate and just done our first 280 mile round trip with the Troll in tow. Again a intelligent four wheel drive and a lot more frugal I have to say plus more power when required all the reviews gave it mostly top marks as a tow car. I would definitely recomend the Octavia Scout as a cracking tow car but it is diesel but as said really frugal.
Morphy

Eriba Troll name Trevor year 2004 pushing a Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.

Last edited Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:36 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:20 pm

Just thought I'd update comments on my Audi A3 1.5 petrol. I am pleasantly surprised. Maiden tow of 600 miles to Devon and back was great. Economy on the way down was not good at 30mpg, but I realised a few days later it was into a storm and on the way back improved. The flexibility of the engine was a surprise, despite earlier reports that suggested this would be the case.
Next time out was over 2,200 miles through France. Fully laden car and van showed about 33mpg. Again the flexibility of the engine and it's ability to hold 6th in cruise control on all but the very steepest hills is a joy.
Last trip was 250 miles return trip to the summer meet. Travelling solo and lighter than on our jaunt to France the car returned 37mpg on way out but only 35mpg on return leg in very heavy traffic.
The Audi computer shows mpg is a couple of miles down on the Yeti's computer, but on a brim to brim fill up it would be difficult to see any significant difference.
The cars interior is a very nice place to be, the boot is surprisingly large and the standard leather seating has now broken in and proving more comfortable than initially experienced, even over the 630 mile return trip from France, leaving at 9:00am on a Saturday arriving 2:00am Sunday.
You should also note in the photo how the van sits neutrally on the car when travelling fairly lightly. Fully loaded the van is very slightly nose up when running at about 60kg noseweight.

P1030797-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

HDI163 and Sulphurman like this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:23 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:10 pm
by Stewart 45 (deleted)

are you still happy with the Octavia am looking at something similar

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:08 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

The only problem if we all go petrol the co2 apparently goes up, I’m sticking to my turbo dissel with hopefully lots of mpg & low down torque. The trouble is finding a van derived car with a decent towing capacity & be able to put bikes in upright etc

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:34 pm

If we put to one side the demise of polar bears [as pushed by Mrs eribaMotters], then the problem with a modern diesel is that you no longer get that nice low down torque. These engines are totally different to those of 10 years ago. Narrow power bands and higher revving they feel like petrol engines. Ironically the modern petrols have wider power bands and greater flexibility. Fuel economy is now very similar.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:19 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.117 Posts

I would agree with Murphy above about the Octavia Estate Scout for towing the Troll. We had one for our first 3 years of towing our 540GT and it was a brilliant tow car. The Troll is quite heavy but it was a doddle towing with the Scout and it had that extra of four wheel drive that kicked in when you needed it. there was sometimes a danger when towing that I forgot that the Troll was behind us.

We also found it to be a very versatile and reliable car when not towing. The rear seat and boot space is incredible.

We decided to change it in October and as we have owned four Octavia 2.0 litre diesel estates & decided to look around at possibly something else. Kath fell in love with a Skoda Karoq Scout 4x4 in deep metallic green, again a 150BHP diesel. As I had more or less picked the last few cars it was time to be gallant and go with it ....and oh we got a really good deal as it was in stock & so there was no waiting.

We have only had chance to tow with it once on a short trip to Knaresboro Club site. It was the time of the heavy rain and floods and all on A or minor roads. Whilst it towed well my first impressions were that it did not tow quite as well as the Octavia. I wondered if it was something to do with it being a shorter but higher bodied car.

Incidently we also looked at the Skoda Superb Estate which is also popular for towing but I thought it was too big and wide for day to day driving for just the two of us.

I would certainly endorse Murphy's high opinion of the Octavia Scout & have hinted to Kath that when we next change it might be to another Octavia Scout Estate, if they still make them.

Enjoy looking
MikeT

Last edited Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:21 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:01 pm
by chutley (deleted)

BMW 5 series touring, 3 litre twin turbo diesel. Remapped to 365 bhp...don't even know our Eriba 540 is there.

Alan likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:13 pm
by hamishhotshot (deleted)

Hi Colin just some advise on towing eriba 420gt do you think a vw Tiguan 1.4tsi 125 bhp will be powerful enough appreciate your advice' checked it what tow car this says perfect match im just concerned it might cause turbo problem,
I tow with a mazda 3 sportnav petrol 122bhp it copes but struggles up hllls and needs to rev harder.

Regards

Phil

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105700 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0